Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets and portaloo's

Just bought a Fiamma Bio Pot 30. It fits into the boot area of my SE but is too big to go under the sink. I liked the simple design of the waste tank, no pouring spout, just a big emptying screw cap. So hopefully no blockage issues! I have also bought a Khyam toilet tent, which looks reasonably strong and easy to erect with its umberella style pole set up! After a couple of test erections in the lounge to get the hang of it !

Hi all,

There's a few threads about toilets in the Cali but they're getting a little old and there's bound to be newer models on the market. Therefore, what do you use and recommend?

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going to put it, having ordered a 7 seater Beach so I know space is already tight when the lower bed is up, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Likely store it in the boot and hope it fits between the two extra seats at night. If anyone can advise on this, I'd be intrigued to hear.

I did look at the Popaloo but it looks blooming expensive for what it is! £70 for a simple plastic box, and then basically £1 a bag which, I'm assuming, you change after every use?

I have time, so am in no particular hurry, but I find researching accessories eases the long waiting time!
The bags only need changing when 1/2full.they gel and deoderise. Whole system packs away easily but you do need toilet tent. No filling. No emptying and washing out.

Sunday evening and I'm researching a Porta Potty...What's happened to me?!

The Qube 345 fits under the multiflex board in the 2 seater bench Beach.

We purchased a Popaloo, fits nicely in the drawer under the bench seat, it is only for emergencies and the odd wild camping trip so we could not justify a big portable loo, plus I hate the chemical smell as it reminds me of caravan holidays as a kid

In regard to the chemicals, what's required and how much vs what are luxury items. Thetford 335 Cube coming tomorrow/ Sunday. So don't have instructions..... Yet.

In regard to the chemicals, what's required and how much vs what are luxury items. Thetford 335 Cube coming tomorrow/ Sunday. So don't have instructions..... Yet.
Geezso
I bought the same system and the instructions were very clear including how much chemical and water to use in flush and waste chamber. There are two small bottles of chemical included. I prepared mine before I left for my first trip. It does say do not travel with a full flush tank so I part filled and then out the lot back in the bag and also had dog towels aroundit in the cupboard. No leaks and I think I may continue to keep it in the bag as easy to pull out and push down the bag and use without hassle.

We always fill the PP up and ready to use when leaving on a trip. Including the adding of the chemicals ( try using greenones)
I do not fill the reservoirs fully not to fear of leaking ( think those PP are 100% safe) but it makes it heavier to lift out.
We tend to fill the water up with a plastic botlle underway in gasstation , campsite,....

Another idea. Although it may not work with 20" alloys.....
FB_IMG_1459247959187.jpg
And you may upset the warden if you try this on a Caravan Club site.

This thread has now been merged with the other portal threads.

Yup- can't see the warders on the C&CC sites being too happy either to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An update on "indoor" facilities:

For two years I have been using a thetford 335. Sometimes the bulk space when carried inside the van has been an irritant. Thanks to my thetford being "borrowed" for one of my Grandchildren's use, I had to resort to a bog-in-a-bag for this weekend.

I have been quite surprised at how easy to use it is. The main use for me is both when travelling, especially in remote areas, and overnight when not wanting to pop out of the van.

To stop, erect the tripod "seat", pop in a bag, use, pop out the bag, is very easy, very quick.

Overnight to open it up, pop in a bag, and leave erected, just like the thetford it fits neatly at the end of the extended bed.

Disposing of the bags is easy. Just dispose as you would any other bag of general waste. Do avoid the temptation to recycle :shocked

So, big drawback, price of the bags. I used my vast stock of popaloo bags, which when bought from the club shop in bulk, work out at just under £1 a bag. Bog-in-a-bag bags can be bought for a similar price on Amazon if buying in quantities of 25. Therefore the cost factor per use is a lot lot higher than a 335.

so, to summarise:

Pro's: Cheaper initial outlay, Massive space saving, easy to use, convenient disposal of waste or storage until convenient.

Cons: Cost of bags. I estimated that the price difference between b-i-a-b and a 335 initially is about £60 which at £1 a bag is soon made up.

Further research: As a granny I am of course familiar with the efficiency of disposable nappies. So my next line of research will be: Take a bag, replace absorbent granules with disposable nappy, use cheaper "bin liner" bags of suitable strength, insert nappy into bag, use, dispose. I can see an immediate drawback i just the size of bags of nappies but hey-ho, nuclear fission wasn't discovered in a day!

I expect to be publishing my research paper on this line around 07/2016.

Last edited:

For two years I have been using a thetford 335. Sometimes the bulk space when carried inside the van has been an irritant. Thanks to my thetford being "borrowed" for one of my Grandchildren's use, I had to resort to a bog-in-a-bag for this weekend.

I have been quite surprised at how easy to use it is. The main use for me is both when travelling, especially in remote areas, and overnight when not wanting to pop out of the van.

To stop, erect the tripod "seat", pop in a bag, use, pop out the bag, is very easy, very quick.

Overnight to open it up, pop in a bag, and leave erected, just like the thetford it fits neatly at the end of the extended bed.

Disposing of the bags is easy. Just dispose as you would any other bag of general waste. Do avoid the temptation to recycle :shocked

So, big drawback, price of the bags. I used my vast stock of popaloo bags, which when bought from the club shop in bulk, work out at just under £1 a bag. Bog-in-a-bag bags can be bought for a similar price on Amazon if buying in quantities of 25. Therefore the cost factor per use is a lot lot higher than a 335.

so, to summarise:

Pro's: Cheaper initial outlay, Massive space saving, easy to use, convenient disposal of waste or storage until convenient.

Cons: Cost of bags. I estimated that the price difference between b-i-a-b and a 335 initially is about £60 which at £1 a bag is soon made up.

Further research: As a granny I am of course familiar with the efficiency of disposable nappies. So my next line of research will be: Take a bag, replace absorbent granules with disposable nappy, use cheaper "bin liner" bags of suitable strength, insert nappy into bag, use, dispose. I can see an immediate drawback i just the size of bags of nappies but hey-ho, nuclear fission wasn't discovered in a day!

You haven't factored in the increased number of bottles of wine you could carry back from France! I'm sure this would decrease the £1/night cost.:thumb

I have used bin liners before now when a desperate situation arises, they fit very well on my portable toilet and disposed of in doggy bins.
Too much information.?

John

nappies take hundreds of years to degrade so not so good for the environment but Popaloo are biodegradable.

so, to summarise:

I have a bog in a bag too. It's ok when a bucket won't do. Robert Dyas in the High street used to do the bags. Theo Pathitis who backed them on Dragons Den owns Robert Dyas.
I cannot find them in their online store now.

nappies take hundreds of years to degrade so not so good for the environment but Popaloo are biodegradable.

I quite agree, hence why I am also looking at bio degradable bags plus stuff like cats litter :D

Owned both. The Popaloo stored nicely in the draw but proved too much of a fuss to construct when needed. The bags are very effective though. Sold the Popaloo and bought the Thetford which fits in a VW moulded fitting below the sink. Its easy to use and works well. No smell of chemicals in our experience.

What happens with the Thetford under sink solution at night when the cupboard is obstructed by the bed? Do you just get it out before getting the bed out, and presumably it fits ok in the space left?

Owned both. The Popaloo stored nicely in the draw but proved too much of a fuss to construct when needed. The bags are very effective though. Sold the Popaloo and bought the Thetford which fits in a VW moulded fitting below the sink. Its easy to use and works well. No smell of chemicals in our experience.

We are talking here about bog-in-the-bag and not popaloo.

Bog in bag is very compact, easy to set up, works, high running costs and I am researching ways to reduce that running cost.

Larkrise
The under sink cupboard is not obstructed by the bed, so there is room to pull it out as and when needed