Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets and social distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a useful thread, I like the rear ‘bathroom’ extension, looking at the khyam loo tent but seems to be out of stock so the thought must be catching on.
Be good to get a shower set up and like the idea of standing in a trug to save the muddy puddle issue.
Personally never been very keen on the chemical loo in the cupboard - I know I am in a minority but I chose to go the Popaloo route. I have just ordered a stock of bags for days out or camping if we are lucky enough to get that going. I placed the order on the phone with the company and it reminded me of what a helpful company they are (I have no connection).
good luck with all the endeavours to get out and about safely.

Trouble with that rear awning is you couldn't leave the van without taking it down as the van wouldn't be secure

My mate says his golf course has reopened, club house is shut by toilet block is open.

Doesnt it all depend on basic hygiene? ie when you've been to the loo you should be washing your hands. Pre COVID probably 50% of people didn't do this, and some still won't. But as long as you do and don't touch anything on the way out you should be fine. Not touching your face is also good advice. Faecal matter seems to be able spread COVID but lots of other pretty nasty diseases too!
One other point, less relevant to others - but if we need to take a portapotty then we won't be going... I'm not even going to mention it to my wife as I know what the reaction will be!!! :)

Doesnt it all depend on basic hygiene? ie when you've been to the loo you should be washing your hands. Pre COVID probably 50% of people didn't do this, and some still won't. But as long as you do and don't touch anything on the way out you should be fine. Not touching your face is also good advice. Faecal matter seems to be able spread COVID but lots of other pretty nasty diseases too!
One other point, less relevant to others - but if we need to take a portapotty then we won't be going... I'm not even going to mention it to my wife as I know what the reaction will be!!! :)

Completely agree. Personal safety is personal responsibility.

When this is all blown over I can see there being a massive spike in noravirus. ecoli and many gastro diseases when people deem it no longer necessary to wash their hands!!!!

Interesting read - taken from another VW forum - Cool Camping are normally good...............

Most campsites are saying toilet blocks will stay closed and only vehicles with their own facilities will be allowed on site. I know this will affect most of us on here but it's possibly the correct decision
Whether tent caravan or campervan camping we have always had our own toilet tent or portapotti in the unit and use site facilities as little as possible due to some undesireables who do. For a few nights a strip wash suffices and we have washed small children stood in a washing up bowl and tipped water over them from an old squash bottle left to heat in the sun all day. Have just got a submersible pump shower for the toilet tent. Tend to use cl sites anyway. We all have to go with what we are comfortable with as this situation is here to stay for the foreseeable future. On a positive note perhaps those leaving toilets without washing their hands now have joined the human race. Also perhaps the common cold might bite the dust. Not a big thing to most people but to me a major illness so have really been doing all the cleaning for years. Top germ areas to me are door and supermarket trolley handles. Use gel or jumper sleeves!

I don't think we will see toilets blocks open and if they do I am not sure I would be happy to use them as some people have disgusting habits at the best of times. We have just purchased a portable toilet and toilet tent. Only thing we need to sort is the hot water now.
I've got a hozelock portashower which I used for dogwalking. Just boil a kettle and there's your shower. Got a portaloo in the van and a toilet tent. Job done

Don’t understand the fuss. Just wash your hands on the way out.

I’ve always thought bathroom/toilet doors should open outwards, that way you can wash your hands and push the door open with your foot without having to touch the handle on your way out.
Could knock a few people out in the process.

If the last thing you do is wash your hands, that's fine.

Could knock a few people out in the process.

If the last thing you do is wash your hands, that's fine.
couldn't you hit people with the door going the other way then ? the last thing you do actually is grab the handle to open the door

Just open them?
A number of people would view risks too, too high and stay at home.

A number of others remain self-contained due to risk adversity, leaving the facilities to be used by others.

It’s a personal choice, but I don’t think it’s possible to evade all possible contacts forever, and we will have to live with this virus ....I’m happy to play the averages and risk it.

I say this with an understanding of others feelings and an acceptance of others views on risks.
Get a porta loo and wash in sink. I never use campsite loo blocks, ever.

There are a number of ways that campsite owners and customers can reduce the risk of catching the Covid19 virus in the toilet/ shower blocks.
1. If you have your own facilities to use them as much as possible.
2. Manage entry to the block at peak times ie morning and evening and limit the numbers of people in each block at a time. 2metre markers for the queues.
3. Clean after each use at peak times. At other times, provide cleaning products for before and after use by customers. Most people will clean it alot before use and a bit after use. However, customer cleaning may not be compliant with guidelines.
4. Lots of hand sanitiser and wipes.

Faeces is probably less of a Covid19 risk than someone coughing or sneezing or spitting whilst cleaning their teeth.

I have just bought a Kampa LooLoo tent and a Decathlon pump up shower. We already have a very rarely used portaloo, but I am hoping these will be good enough if they open to those with own facilities.

Covid-19 is a serious problem and should not be taken lightly. Some seem to be prepared to play fast and loose, on the assumption that they are smart enough to be invincible. But their willingness to be lax about the situation indicates that they are happy to extend the risk to others with whom they may come into contact.
The only proper response is to act like sensible adults and exercise discipline for the benefit of others, with the hope that this will prove to be the quickest way to get things back to normal.

snowball, not sure what you mean by fast and loose in relation to this thread.
Is the proper response to stay away from campsites? Is the correct response to use campsites but be self sufficient?
There are some interesting thoughts on here, some good and some not so good. Some are just not workable. The reality is what ever path is taken there will always be idiots that think they know better, nothing you can do about that.
Track and trace to some is sensible, to others it’s the govt trying to control them.
To some taking a camper van Devon to Cumbria is acceptable

whatever the view I don’t think anyone posting is actually taking it lightly.

For me, open campsites,
let folk get out in the fresh air, as for toilets and showers, as snowball says, let people be adults and let them make there own choice if they want to use public facilities

Just open them?
A number of people would view risks too, too high and stay at home.

A number of others remain self-contained due to risk adversity, leaving the facilities to be used by others.

It’s a personal choice, but I don’t think it’s possible to evade all possible contacts forever, and we will have to live with this virus ....I’m happy to play the averages and risk it.

I say this with an understanding of others feelings and an acceptance of others views on risks.

You are right. Some say this virus will be here forever so you need to get on with life. Keeps on like this the cure will be more deadly than the virus (if you believe the virus is 'deadly' for all the population!)

To say it's a personal risk to use campsite toilets and showering blocks is grossly stupid. You may or may not catch the disease, but you might pick up traces of the virus on your hands as you exit the facility and then transfer those traces to other surfaces far removed from the toilet block. You get into your car, you go to the shop, any surface you touch could potentially become the surface that causes some poor person to be infected and then perhaps die. Bloody well grow up.

I like the idea of showering in a toilet tent but it is not practical as soon as that water hits the grass you then have mud making it unusable for next time , you also run the risk of upsetting the campsite owner. Showering outside is possibly just as bad as discharging grey water on a pitch
Use a small blow up paddling pool or soak tray for a shower tray. Tip out the water in different places each time. Or scoop it out with a bucket and distribute around.

If you have a quick shower and turn off the water while you soap up and you won’t use much water. Combine your shower with a couple of different coloured flannels (1 botty flannel and another for everywhere else) and you can use even less water.

We may find that toilet blocks are the least of our worries. As foreign holidays will be off loads of people will be buying vans (some not in the best of nick) and big family tents. Campsites will be full of muppets who’ve never camped before and have no idea of the conventions, etiquette or how to behave. Off site camping will be a nightmare too and more places will stop people staying over.

To say it's a personal risk to use campsite toilets and showering blocks is grossly stupid. You may or may not catch the disease, but you might pick up traces of the virus on your hands as you exit the facility and then transfer those traces to other surfaces far removed from the toilet block. You get into your car, you go to the shop, any surface you touch could potentially become the surface that causes some poor person to be infected and then perhaps die. Bloody well grow up.
Unsurprisingly I don’t agree with you Rob. I believe it may be people who have a view of risk which is out of all perspective (fatality c. 0.07% of UK population?) that may wish to act in a more robust way. Instead some expecting others to curtail activities to suit their own view of the World, perhaps could be considered childlike

I’m not particularly convinced that anyone in a toilet block is going to be significantly more likely to transmit a virus as you suggest any more than someone using their own porta-potty but even less convinced of the difference with motorway services, public toilets, toilets at work etc...

You are welcome to your view Rob, as am I.

Doesn't matter how much you argue. Agree. Disagree. They will either open them or they won't. Nothing said here will change that. If they open, You then either use them or you don't. Personal choice. My work toilets and showers which I am using 4 times a week are open so I either go home covered in diesel and pee or I risk the showers. I take the shower. I still don't feel I'm killing people if I call at the shops on the way home. I don't see why those that think they should stay closed feel they should tell everyone else what to do though. Its a bit like the pubs. I have a feeling all those boring twats with no friends and social life who never go out are the ones that want the pubs to stay closed because it suits them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back