Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling on Eurotunnel

Pdqsoft

Pdqsoft

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
So last night I called to book our first trip in the Cali, and was told in no uncertain terms that the Cali is classed as a camper, and therefore the price increased by around 50% (not done the maths, but that's how it felt..). Told them I needed to think about it. This morning I thought, what the hell, if that's what it costs, so be it. Phoned up and was asked for reg, and confirmation of vehicle. No questions about cooking/sleeping facilities, she just said, oh it looks like it's over 1.85m high, which I confirmed. Booked as a high car, so happy days :)

We are booking in the next few days, I let you know how we get on.

Happy days.....with a potential sting in the tail.

Just a minor word of caution. There's been a number of threads for ET and the classification of vehicles. It seems its not unheard of for them to pick up the discrepancy at the time of check in and in you are unlucky they could invalidate your ticket and either make you pay for a full new one or make you pay the cost to upgrade to the correct same day fare.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...avelling-with-ocean-on-high-car-ticket.26560/

Personally I've never found the price to be that big a difference to warrant trying to pull a fast one on ET, so pay the camper rate.

So last night I called to book our first trip in the Cali, and was told in no uncertain terms that the Cali is classed as a camper, and therefore the price increased by around 50% (not done the maths, but that's how it felt..). Told them I needed to think about it. This morning I thought, what the hell, if that's what it costs, so be it. Phoned up and was asked for reg, and confirmation of vehicle. No questions about cooking/sleeping facilities, she just said, oh it looks like it's over 1.85m high, which I confirmed. Booked as a high car, so happy days :)

Happy days.....with a potential sting in the tail.

Just a minor word of caution. There's been a number of threads for ET and the classification of vehicles. It seems its not unheard of for them to pick up the discrepancy at the time of check in and in you are unlucky they could invalidate your ticket and either make you pay for a full new one or make you pay the cost to upgrade to the correct same day fare.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...avelling-with-ocean-on-high-car-ticket.26560/

Personally I've never found the price to be that big a difference to warrant trying to pull a fast one on ET, so pay the camper rate.
Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind. Having said that, we’ve used it a lot in the past with motorhomes and cars, and I’ve never really felt that they check that closely - as long as reg number is correct, and size is there or thereabouts they have always *seemed* to just accept things at face value.....famous last words ;)

Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind. Having said that, we’ve used it a lot in the past with motorhomes and cars, and I’ve never really felt that they check that closely - as long as reg number is correct, and size is there or thereabouts they have always *seemed* to just accept things at face value.....famous last words ;)
It's the French staff on the return leg that recognise it as a camper, they let us off once as we booked as high car but I wouldn't risk it again. They weren't a happy bunch.
Booked a couple of weeks ago for a return trip in the summer hols and camper price was about £60 more in total, peak crossing times. Booked through the Caravan&MHC and saved 10%.

Our booking confirmation just says Campervan.
£210 return in September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you booked on the phone I wouldn't worry but I did get stopped by a grumpy chap on the french side on the way back. He saw my beach with a high car ticket and was about to say something but saw no kitchen in the back and then smiled and waved me through. I am not sure if I will book the same again just for the stress of not knowing if I'm going to get a confrontation. The beach by their own definition is a high car but the V5 does state motor caravan so they treat it the same as a large MH.

It is a bit annoying that a caravelle will pay considerably less but thats their system I guess. There is probably an argument that a camper on average has a heavier load/weight and therefore costs more to transport..

If you booked on the phone I wouldn't worry but I did get stopped by a grumpy chap on the french side on the way back. He saw my beach with a high car ticket and was about to say something but saw no kitchen in the back and then smiled and waved me through. I am not sure if I will book the same again just for the stress of not knowing if I'm going to get a confrontation. The beach by their own definition is a high car but the V5 does state motor caravan so they treat it the same as a large MH.

It is a bit annoying that a caravelle will pay considerably less but thats their system I guess. There is probably an argument that a camper on average has a heavier load/weight and therefore costs more to transport..
And is more likely to have Gas Cylinders on board, larger than the disposable gas canisters.:thumb

And is more likely to have Gas Cylinders on board, larger than the disposable gas canisters.:thumb
I've not quite figured out how gas affects that other than safety considerations, even then I can only assume the safety case would be to separate them to avoid chain effects.

There was an argument i saw them give in a response to an email (wish I could remember where) about not having the gas concentrated in the same spot for safety reasons but that fell down when I first travelled and my carriage was pretty much all campers and one car at the back.

I think ultimately its a business decision. They just charge more because they class all motorhomes as the same and us smaller users are probably not paying on our size and weight but in a way subsidising the larger ones for ease of simple charging and booking systems.

I've not quite figured out how gas affects that other than safety considerations, even then I can only assume the safety case would be to separate them to avoid chain effects.

There was an argument i saw them give in a response to an email (wish I could remember where) about not having the gas concentrated in the same spot for safety reasons but that fell down when I first travelled and my carriage was pretty much all campers and one car at the back.

I think ultimately its a business decision. They just charge more because they class all motorhomes as the same and us smaller users are probably not paying on our size and weight but in a way subsidising the larger ones for ease of simple charging and booking systems.
The Campers travel in a single deck Carriage but normal cars in a Double Deck carriage I believe, but I've never travelled on the Shuttle with a normal car only Land Rover Defenders and the California.

Interesting that your Beach states Motor Caravan on the V5. We have an Ocean (arguably closer to a MC), but the V5 states Body Type - MPV, Taxation Class - Diesel Car. Needless to say, I'll have a copy of that with me to show Eurotunnel if they complain about things.

The Campers travel in a single deck Carriage but normal cars in a Double Deck carriage I believe, but I've never travelled on the Shuttle with a normal car only Land Rover Defenders and the California.
I have been on both double ad single deck with a car. Normally on double deck.

Interesting that your Beach states Motor Caravan on the V5. We have an Ocean (arguably closer to a MC), but the V5 states Body Type - MPV, Taxation Class - Diesel Car. Needless to say, I'll have a copy of that with me to show Eurotunnel if they complain about things.
I think as you are finding they aren't always the same. There are plenty of Beach that have MPV too so maybe its just a mistake by VW. Maybe your shell was originally intended to be a Beach and mine an SE/OCean? ;)

...but worth noting they have their own definition of what a campervan/motorhome is......

"Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities). "

and number one in their T & C's...

"1. TICKET VALIDITY 1.1 Your booking is only valid for the booked departure time and the vehicle type stated. Failure to complete both the outward and return journeys in respect of a return booking will invalidate your booking and in the event that you complete only one journey in respect of a return booking, you will be liable to pay the difference between the price that you paid for your return booking and the single fare applicable at the time that your journey was made. Eurotunnel reserves the right to obtain from you payment in full for all sums so arising. All travel must be completed within 1 calendar year of the date of original purchase "

I went on the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe this year which was more of an experience than the tunnel. They class the Ocean as a large car as it has windows and seats in the back - to differentiate from a commercial van. It was about £200 return which mile for mile is good value.

We got stopped on our way back and told that our cali is not a high car . I asked why not and told that the cooker makes it a camper ‍♂️. Lucky for us our baby was crying so loud that they let us go . Normaly they wanted us to pay more ( much more ) i have phoned eurotunnel in belgium and got nothing done .... it’s not the size of the van it’s because we can sleep and cook in the cali that we pay more . Daft and missing out on many customers i think .

ET are changing the way they price stuff in the near future (to our benefit).

It was myself who got caught out and started the thread mentioned in the third post. Since then I haven't risked booking as a high car. When I was stopped and was negotiating with them they told me they would go back to the recording of my phone booking. If you were able to book as a high car with your reg and type of vehicle given, without questions about kitchen and sleeping, I imagine you would have a strong case if they stopped you at check in. Good luck!

We got stopped on our way back and told that our cali is not a high car . I asked why not and told that the cooker makes it a camper ‍♂. Lucky for us our baby was crying so loud that they let us go . Normaly they wanted us to pay more ( much more ) i have phoned eurotunnel in belgium and got nothing done .... it’s not the size of the van it’s because we can sleep and cook in the cali that we pay more . Daft and missing out on many customers i think .
Eurotunnel have their Own definition of a Campervan/Motorhome and that is what they go by. Has nothing to do with the DVLA definition.

Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 18.37.47.jpg

Debatable with a Beach but an Ocean or SE should really be booked on as a
campervan.

I have got away a few times with just booking as a high vehicle and have been pulled
up once and had to pay the extra.
It all depends if the people working at that time are ´jobsworths´

You get a printed out label and its clear to see what you are.
I've always found that the french side is easier.
IMG_6746.JPG

I have a frequent flyer ticket for the tunnel, when booking the trip, adding the Cali registration there is an additional £12 fee.

Just book with DFDS from Dover, if you pick your boarding time carefully, you can return for £100, to Calais it’s a shorter trip than Dunkirk

Just book with DFDS from Dover, if you pick your boarding time carefully, you can return for £100, to Calais it’s a shorter trip than Dunkirk
Dover/Dunkirk does put you further north for the drive to Belgium/Holland. As you say DFDS can be a lot cheaper than the tunnel without this potential faff.

Try to get behind a normal Transporter, Caravelle or Multivan. If they are picky, ask them why they let those other motor caravans in and not you, as it is the same body, just with a low hat on?

Back