Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling on Eurotunnel

Or you get rid of "California" at the back and replace it by "Multivan", or "Caravelle".

Then just tell them it's a Multivan. With a lot of options.

We have yet to take the Chunnel with the van (a Beach), but we have used it quite often with a Disco 3 which is classed 'high car'.
I checked pricing as we plan a visit in October, and did three different options based on a return Calais-Folkstone, and UK resident:
1) car over 1.85m = £171
2) van, over 1.85m = £213
3) campervan = £213

So it appears that the pricing issue relates to 'high car' vs the others, rather than as a 'van' or 'camper'?
Am I missing something, as wouldn't one be hard pressed to call it anything other than a 'van' regardless of the interior if not an Ocean? As a 'minibus' it's the same price as van or camper...

So is a Beach with 5 or 7 seats technically a high car, a van, a campervan, or a minibus, or something else?

Oh one thing to add, mine has Swiss number plates. Which are interchangeable with the Disco, so there is no single body-type they can attribute to the number, and then would they have vehicle lookup to DVLA equivalents for all Western Europe?

We have yet to take the Chunnel with the van (a Beach), but we have used it quite often with a Disco 3 which is classed 'high car'.
I checked pricing as we plan a visit in October, and did three different options based on a return Calais-Folkstone, and UK resident:
1) car over 1.85m = £171
2) van, over 1.85m = £213
3) campervan = £213

So it appears that the pricing issue relates to 'high car' vs the others, rather than as a 'van' or 'camper'?
Am I missing something, as wouldn't one be hard pressed to call it anything other than a 'van' regardless of the interior if not an Ocean? As a 'minibus' it's the same price as van or camper...

So is a Beach with 5 or 7 seats technically a high car, a van, a campervan, or a minibus, or something else?

A Beach is a high car for Eurotunnel as it doesn’t fit their description of a motor home.

Is a van not something to transport goods?
Is a Multivan a passenger car, but higher than let's say, a Passat?
It is just a tad higher than a 7 seat Sharan.
Is a California just a modified Multivan?
For me it is my daily driver, and no van. So for me it is a passenger car of less than 2 meters high.

Is a California just a modified Multivan?

The Beach and Ocean models are treated differently. The Ocean fits ET’s definition of a motorhome.

Unfortunately ET’s computer thinks that all Californias are Oceans, so you will need to book a Beach online as a high car with the registration number unknown. They may query at check in, but just show them the absence of a kitchen and you’ll be fine.

So we now have one thread with Ocean owners moaning that they are being registered incorrectly as MPVs & wanting to be Motor Caravans & we have Beach owners that have been registered as Motor Caravans trying to persuade Eurotunnel that they are really MPVs

So we now have one thread with Ocean owners moaning that they are being registered incorrectly as MPVs & wanting to be Motor Caravans & we have Beach owners that have been registered as Motor Caravans trying to persuade Eurotunnel that they are really MPVs

The California Beach does not fit DVLA’s definition for a motor caravan conversion on several points. I’m not sure how VW have got away with registering it as having body type motor caravan.

I now checked my Fahrzeugausweiss and it seems the Swiss also class the Beach as a car :thumb
19. Art.des Fahrzeugs : Personenwagen : Code 001
25. Karoserie : Limousine : Code 163
That's the same as my regular cars.

A Beach is a high car for Eurotunnel as it doesn’t fit their description of a motor home.
Yes can confirm technically its a high car over 1.85 but the V5 saying motor caravan may get you stopped. I had a rather annoyed looking French chap wave me down on the way back clearly thinking I was a camper on a high car ticket. Once he saw the back seats and no kitchen inside, he waved me through with a smile.

This time I just booked as campervan as I didnt want the stress of not knowing if I was going to get grief even though it was about 20quid more each way.

Back