Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle theft prevention

Your comment about not confusing the pros with teenagers is spot-on. Unfortunately these guys are likely to target your vehicle and even break in to your house to get keys. Or maybe they just pick your pocket or steal your bag when you're at the beach. The Lockdown system seems to use a dongle, and as Loz noted above, then the thieves could potentially just take that along with the keys and drive off.

We chose the Ghost system for our Cali because it needs a button press sequence plus keys to start the engine, which gave us a bigger feeling of security to most eventualities apart from physical coercion.

Having said that, good security is a layered thing, and all of the suggestions above are great contributors depending on the exact situation. (We couple the Ghost with a bright yellow steering lock, plus Safelocking the van and sometimes rotating the seats and then storing the keys well away from the front door....)

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Are there any warranty implications once Ghost is installed?
Warranty exclusions are only to associated parts, so a faulty wheel sensor would not be rejected due to the ghost being fitted etc.
But if you had an issue with the vehicle starting and the dealer tried to blame it on the ghost, you would ask your ghost fitter to remove it.
No other issues.

All comments are worth taking into consideration.
One thing to note with the Lockdown system is that even if thieves have the keys and the dongle vehicle is still tracked and can be immobilised remotely, activating lights to flash and audible alarm to sound. I still think along with good insurance this must be the best option. Probably not a good idea to keep the dongle with the keys.
Our Cali was stolen after thieves broke in and stole the spare keys, best advice we got after the event was don't hide the keys as they will trash the house looking for them !

I have no doubt that the theft of a California is possible, and that they are stolen to order. But faced with a swivelled driver's seat and a deadlocked driver's door, I doubt that even a professional would try.

I have just checked, the driver's seat doesn't flatten (the passenger's does).

Without being able to open the driver's door, but being able to push back and part flatten the driver's seat, this is the space available for driving.

View attachment 61850

A little more space would be gained by removing the seat back pockets.
Impossible to drive in that position.

Certainly very awkward and uncomfortable but I'm reliably informed not impossible and has been done on more than one occasion.

Certainly very awkward and uncomfortable but I'm reliably informed not impossible and has been done on more than one occasion.

I’m very sceptical. I can imagine steering for short distances is possible, but driving!? To reach the pedals you’d need double jointed knees.

Is your reliable source trying to sell you an additional security device?

It is accessible enough to move the vehicle prior to towing or loading on a trailer.
Once again, these are professionals.
Information came from Police and insurance company.
As stated before by others, if they want it badly enough they can only be delayed by majority of mechanical devices.
Good insurance and reliable tracking plus the Lockdown facility must be the best option.
Surely?

It is accessible enough to move the vehicle prior to towing or loading on a trailer.
Once again, these are professionals.
Information came from Police and insurance company.
As stated before by others, if they want it badly enough they can only be delayed by majority of mechanical devices.
Good insurance and reliable tracking plus the Lockdown facility must be the best option.
Surely?

Different people have different priorities, and I think that is healthy.

I rank deterrent above tracking. A bollard on the driveway, either at home or where you regularly park at work, is another excellent deterrent.

How many owners put the same effort into securing their California as they do into securing their other vehicles?
Very few probably. Mines a daily driver, it doesn't spend weeks, if not months, parked on the drive.
How many California are stolen away from home?
How many are recovered?
As mine is a daily driver I'm not going to spend time removing wheel locks, steering locks or punching in codes everytime I want to go somewhere.
Hence good Insurance.

Has anyone got experience of the Outsmart The Thief Lockdown system?
Having had our van stolen last year we are looking for the best possible protection for any new vehicle.
Autowatch Ghost seems good but the extra protection given with the Lockdown facility appears a worthwhile addition.
Any comments would be great.
With the Ghost system the car can never be started which sounds a very good option to me.

With the Ghost system the car can never be started which sounds a very good option to me.
Doesn't have to be started to be stolen.

Thought about a Ghost system then read on another forum talking about VW Golf R and similar cars, the thieves would just break into the house and threaten the owners for the code.
Maybe different type of thieves steal California’s. Trackers seem preferred by insurers.

Is everyone sure you can’t swivel the drivers seat with door shut? I’m certain I’ve done it before. I might have to go try again now...

Is everyone sure you can’t swivel the drivers seat with door shut? I’m certain I’ve done it before. I might have to go try again now...

just tried and not too hard to swivel with door shut. Re-reading the threads I might have misread the comments about deadlocked door and swivelled seat included some kind of lock as well to prevent returning the seat to forward facing which makes sense now.

Last edited:
just tried and not too hard to swivel with door shut. Re-reading the threads I might have kissed the comments about deadlocked door and swivelled seat included some kind of lock as well to prevent returning the seat to forward facing which makes sense now.
In case you just now did swivel you seat ....
You just scratched your doorcard...;)
Or they changed things on the 6 , on a 5 it's permanent damage.

In case you just now did swivel you seat ....
You just scratched your doorcard...;)
Or they changed things on the 6 , on a 5 it's permanent damage.

things might have changed on the T6. :eek: Let me take a video and work out how to share.

Video here

Last edited: