Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

We've now been in contact with our dealer who won't look at the problem as they do not have a body shop. Called VW Customer Services and put the issue to them, they have now opened a file on my vehicle pending an inspection report. However I have found that only Dealerships with a body shop will do this inspection and they are none too happy as the work will go elsewhere and they get nothing back from VW. Now booked for next week anyway.
From some of the comments above I am tempted to see if the company doing the inspection are prepared to do the repair. Or will this approach just cause more problems if the fault re-appears in another years time?

oldmtber said:
We've now been in contact with our dealer who won't look at the problem as they do not have a body shop. Called VW Customer Services and put the issue to them, they have now opened a file on my vehicle pending an inspection report. However I have found that only Dealerships with a body shop will do this inspection and they are none too happy as the work will go elsewhere and they get nothing back from VW. Now booked for next week anyway.
From some of the comments above I am tempted to see if the company doing the inspection are prepared to do the repair. Or will this approach just cause more problems if the fault re-appears in another years time?

have a quick look back at the thread - there are only 4 locations in the uk that are doing the repairs. they have been trained up in the specific repair

oldmtber said:

Seems strange as I do it and we don't have a body shop and photos are taken and the claim built up and sent to VW so shouldn't be a problem if they don't have a body shop.

With this new repair only 4 body shops in the country are doing it so the inspecting dealer/body shop will not be able to carry it out.

thanks

smgcowfold said:
Seems strange as I do it and we don't have a body shop and photos are taken and the claim built up and sent to VW so shouldn't be a problem if they don't have a body shop.

With this new repair only 4 body shops in the country are doing it so the inspecting dealer/body shop will not be able to carry it out.

thanks

To be honest Alex, this is where you guys are different to a number of other dealers. Really looking after YOUR customer no matter where the work itself is finally carried out.

Other dealerships take a different approach and wash their hands once they realise. It's perhaps a cultural thing within those organisations but your customer focus is as repeatedly the benchmark against which others should be measured.

A credit to the marque :)

Only wish you were closer ;)

Rgds

Mark

SimplyDubs said:
smgcowfold said:

thanks

To be honest Alex, this is where you guys are different to a number of other dealers. Really looking after YOUR customer no matter where the work itself is finally carried out.

Other dealerships take a different approach and wash their hands once they realise. It's perhaps a cultural thing within those organisations but your customer focus is as repeatedly the benchmark against which others should be measured.

A credit to the marque :)

Only wish you were closer ;)

Rgds

Mark

yes i wish that too - finger on pulse, customer service a1 - what more could you ask

My local Van centre rang me yesterday with an update. He has seen the work procedure & the whole roof, including bellows is taken off. He could not explain why or if the roof panel is being replaced as well. As my Cali has blisters on the roof panel under the rubber seal I hope te whole roof panel is replaced. Was also told my Cali would be done by Shorada Cannock & they will not be starting the Calis for at least 6 weeks. He was unaware that we get a loan & that it takes up to two weeks !!

I registered my case with VW customer care today, steering knock, paint bubble, and trim. Regarding the paint bubble, I was told that California's prior to 2014 (mine was built Oct 2013) were using the "old panels" that have been subject to quality issues. Apparently the panels will be replaced, no definition of panel was provided. Steering knock cause has been identified by VW and is being handled by a separate team.

Very happy with response and service from customer care, not so much with VW quality at the moment.

mine too has blisters under the front seal, photos taken nearly 4 weeks ago by local van centre,

not heard a thing , how long before i wait & call customer services?

ROB said:
mine too has blisters under the front seal, photos taken nearly 4 weeks ago by local van centre,

not heard a thing , how long before i wait & call customer services?

For your piece of mind, call customer service. I am glad I did

gamort said:
I registered my case with VW customer care today, steering knock, paint bubble, and trim. Regarding the paint bubble, I was told that California's prior to 2014 (mine was built Oct 2013) were using the "old panels" that have been subject to quality issues.

Phew just made it. Ours built 3rd week January.

Andy said:
My local Van centre rang me yesterday with an update. He has seen the work procedure & the whole roof, including bellows is taken off. He could not explain why or if the roof panel is being replaced as well. As my Cali has blisters on the roof panel under the rubber seal I hope te whole roof panel is replaced. Was also told my Cali would be done by Shorada Cannock & they will not be starting the Calis for at least 6 weeks. He was unaware that we get a loan & that it takes up to two weeks !!

Your local dealer will need to submit a separate claim for the roof bubbling and organise with the bodyshop doing the faring repair to get the pop-up roof repaired at the same time.

thanks

smgcowfold said:
Andy said:

Your local dealer will need to submit a separate claim for the roof bubbling and organise with the bodyshop doing the faring repair to get the pop-up roof repaired at the same time.

thanks

Allready done via cust services Alex

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Noticed my roof (which has been "done") is starting to blister again... :headbang

KernowLad said:
Noticed my roof (which has been "done") is starting to blister again... :headbang

Same here :headbang found some new blisters while cleaning over the weekend. Sure they werent there a fortnight ago but now got 4 small patches next to the rubber seal. VW claimed my previous one was stonechip damage but there is no way these ones are.
Trip to the dealer I suppose :sad

owen_h said:
KernowLad said:

Same here :headbang found some new blisters while cleaning over the weekend. Sure they werent there a fortnight ago but now got 4 small patches next to the rubber seal. VW claimed my previous one was stonechip damage but there is no way these ones are.

Last time mine went to the dealer, they "cleaned" it with a Brillo pad; or so it appeared.
Our warranty is up in September so better get it looked at soon.

KernowLad said:
owen_h said:
KernowLad said:

Last time mine went to the dealer, they "cleaned" it with a Brillo pad; or so it appeared.
Our warranty is up in September so better get it looked at soon.

The blistering comes under the paintwork warranty which is longer I think. Anyway been to the dealership (Breeze Soton) and they now have some photos to forward to VW for approval. Will then be contacted by the approved shop which for me will be Bristol. was warned that "there is quite a backlog" and likely to be 6 months or more before the work is done.

One side of the van is now very clean and swirl free after a session of clean-clay-polish & wax. I would not be happy if after all that work it was brillo'd . The rain this morning has rather spoilt the effect as it has deposited some Saharan sand on her :doh
You got a full machine polish out of them didn't you?

i have blistering under pop up roof black rubber seal

van centre took pics 10 march,,i phoned fri, said they would forward today,

still not done , so another call to customer services, poor !

owen_h said:
The blistering comes under the paintwork warranty which is longer I think. Anyway been to the dealership (Breeze Soton) and they now have some photos to forward to VW for approval. Will then be contacted by the approved shop which for me will be Bristol. was warned that "there is quite a backlog" and likely to be 6 months or more before the work is done.

One side of the van is now very clean and swirl free after a session of clean-clay-polish & wax. I would not be happy if after all that work it was brillo'd . The rain this morning has rather spoilt the effect as it has deposited some Saharan sand on her :doh
You got a full machine polish out of them didn't you?

I did get a machine polish but I had to push VERY hard for it. And yes, that rain/sand was a right pain - especially in the roof "channels" of the van!

Can anyone confirm if they have registered the fault direct with VW customer care by sending photos themselves? They have told us there is no way they would except photos from any other source except a dealer.
It turns out we are not registered, apparently due to VW Newark closing, even though we have spoken to customer care about the repair on numerous occasions.
Has anyone actually had their van done yet?

I tried (on Monday) to register direct with VW but was told the claim has to be made via the dealer network.
I know Breeze have come in for some stick recently but in this case they (Nikki) was quick and efficient. Photos taken and sent to VW for approval on Mon pm/Tues am, got confirmation back Thursday that claim approved and details have been passed onto one of the 4 approved bodyshops (Bristol in my case). Sounds like its going to be 6 months + before they get to do the work though.

We rang VW Care and hoped to register direct but have had to visit Hereford (yesterday) for the photos and assessment. All done and pushed up the line to VW. Just had a call from Roxy to say the claim is now in motion and we should get an update in about a month's time.
I have to say VW have been very helpful over the issue.

CannellWalker said:
Can anyone confirm if they have registered the fault direct with VW customer care by sending photos themselves? They have told us there is no way they would except photos from any other source except a dealer.
It turns out we are not registered, apparently due to VW Newark closing, even though we have spoken to customer care about the repair on numerous occasions.
Has anyone actually had their van done yet?

I registered with VW Customer Care directly several months ago. I told them the issue - they didn't ask for photos.

I checked recently to make sure I was on the waiting list for repair and the confirmed I am.

I guess they've set up a process now that requires photos/dealer involvement.

dealer lost my photos despite me doing 100 mile round trip ! and a day off work

so in end emailed , but still not been forwarded to customer care, van centre promised last week , now promise next week, i feel very poorly treated & this is just to set up a claim, i have already made 8 phone calls & very little action by the van centre

ROB said:

so in end emailed , but still not been forwarded to customer care, van centre promised last week , now promise next week, i feel very poorly treated & this is just to set up a claim, i have already made 8 phone calls & very little action by the van centre

I thinks it is time to name and shame these dealers!

ROB said:

They shouldn't be forwarding the photos to customer care, they should be submitting a repair form to Volkswagen!

cheers

Back