Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What dream car would you choose on retirement (other than a Cali naturally)

That Fiat is the perfect city car, if we all drove them traffic jams would be half the length & there would be twice as many parking spaces.

Dangerous to drive though, can’t stop grinning and giggling

I'm boring new Defender or a Porsche, running repairs would keep me occupied.

We always thought this russian 4x4 could be fun. Can even be had as a 4x4 campervan... You can still buy them new, there is a dutch dealership, these days:

1_bukhanka_glassed_in_van_rev-400x245.png
You won’t be russian anywhere in one of those!!

What a fantastic thread!

I’m a petrolhead who loves camping, have done for years. Went from split screen to bay window campers as the family grew to finally now have a Cali Ocean. Ive loved all of those campers for very different reasons but all enabled me to spend more time in the great outdoors.
e00683300bc89a2a7084f6fd32f8c609.jpg

d90fc5c2a0c642abc9f3e873faf1f34c.jpg

Enjoying camping of every type, I currently also have this which takes me on two decent camping road trips a year with all of my camping gear loaded up.
b4a899a666313bc4d77d0a3c4a81b276.jpg

So I’m thankful to be able to have these things that allow me to do the things I love so much although I really do miss the classics so I thing we may head that way one day when the kids have gone!

My 12 year old son and I are planning to build a beach buggy over the next couple of years. Which will be great fun.

I notice there is a lot of Porsche activity in the thread. It must be something that compels us to buy VAG! I had a 1990 911 carrera 10 years ago, loved it then and it’s probably doubled in value since I sold it. I’m a bit off retirement yet but would definitely love another Porsche.

ps. Shameless plug. My work involves long term planning focusing on well-being and getting the best out of life. Everything in this thread is fantastic to see because it does just that. The boring stuff like pension funds, tax planning, savings levels is all essential but not nearly as much fun as what all of that achieves for us, using all assets efficiently to achieve an aim. I’m running free planning strategy sessions until the end of the year with no obligation to engage with us afterwards. If an hour of my time can ensure someone can get that jag, Porsche or Ducati whilst keeping their Cali habit, that’s time well spent for me! Get in touch and mention the forum. Www.libertaswm.co.uk

Lancia Stratos all day long.

Lancia Stratos all day long.

Steady tiger, there's a £100k limit on this thread apparently. You've just blown your budget several times over.

But if we find another couple of people maybe we can find an 'oily rag' example and buy a wheel each?

Yes. Sump only held 2.5L of oil and designed to be used at about 1L/1000 miles, but revved upto 10,000 revs/min. Big tyres only lasted 12,000 miles if driven. 2 x 900cc Wankel engines in series. I had the 6 speed manual.

Yes. Sump only held 2.5L of oil and designed to be used at about 1L/1000 miles, but revved upto 10,000 revs/min. Big tyres only lasted 12,000 miles if driven. 2 x 900cc Wankel engines in series. I had the 6 speed manual.

You could get a good used one now for a few grand. There's a PZ Prodrive on eBay, that'd be the one to have.

You could get a good used one now for a few grand. There's a PZ Prodrive on eBay, that'd be the one to have.
Happy with the California and Smart car at this time of life.

As I advance in years and near the time when I can retire I like to think about the car I would treat myself to when I do take my pension.

At the moment the Cali is my everyday and only vehicle. So I would like something for fun. I would still keep the Cali.

Given that I share the same good taste in recreational vehicles ie a Cali I thought it interesting to see what fellow petrol head forum members would choose and why?

My top 3
V8 f type convertible pre face lift
911 992 carrera s convertible
Morgan plus six or four

At the moment- having done a factory tour and various test drive days I confess I’m leaning towards one of the new Morgan’s- why because they are so involving and essentially basic to drive (but oh the f type what looks).

What retirement car “”treat”” would you choose for let’s say under 100k and why?
Sunbeam Tiger, looks great, V8 sounds great and a Carrol Shelby design

At least 8 years away for me but right now I'd be going for a GR Yaris. Looks like as much fun as you can have for a reasonable amount of cash. I love the idea of something classic but living in The Lakes where most of our A-roads are like most B-roads and all the others are even worse it's just not practical. It needs to be something you aren't afraid of using.

Blast you Mr Slater you made me do it. Just requested paperwork this morning to get a GR Yaris on order. So much easier than buying a Cali, only a couple of options and colours. I'm having the track pack (LSDs etc). Delivery late March.
:cheers

Blast you Mr Slater you made me do it. Just requested paperwork this morning to get a GR Yaris on order. So much easier than buying a Cali, only a couple of options and colours. I'm having the track pack (LSDs etc). Delivery late March.
The last ever such a car Im convinced. Track pack mandatory why bother making the others. I really dont need another car. Tell me its rubbish when you get it :help

Steady tiger, there's a £100k limit on this thread apparently. You've just blown your budget several times over.

But if we find another couple of people maybe we can find an 'oily rag' example and buy a wheel each?

Easy sub 100k and probs better than the original. Ok you don’t get the Dino motor but you still get to stare at it all day long.

Fantastic Velmas Dad, what colour did you go for?

How bizarre. I’ve never made that link before!!
A good pal has two of those BL nightmares quietly rotting in his barn. Probs best they stay there!

Headlights and door handles + rear indicators lighting up when
you press the brake pedal. :thumb

Back