Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

I like it. What's holding the corners down at the bottom front? Magnet? And where did you get the material?

I like it. What's holding the corners down at the bottom front? Magnet? And where did you get the material?

By the looks those are plastic suction cups....

Another way to avoid Bird Mess is to keep moving.;)

Bungee and a hook that clips on the lower grill. Suction cups to stop the corners flapping.
Top is attached to a couple of BigTed rail hooks.
The nylon is bought off the roll from Attwools our local camping supplies.

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

Had Auxiliary drive belt guards fitted ( as per pictures ) Having previously had an auxiliary belt break causing it to catch the cam belt which resulted in a new engine (not VW) I thought it worthwhile for some peace of mind. The question is why isn't it standard, the mechanic/technicians honest reply was ''penny pinching by VW'' He said he had fitted quite a few.

Now that, I like. We have squadrons of slack boweled shite hawks circling over our Cali on a daily basis. I am always out there cleaning their mess off the paint work.
Several years ago one of them even dropped an egg on the roof of my wifes car. It was a very hot day and by the time I noticed it, the laquer had been disolved. It resulted in the roof having to be resprayed at vast expense.

Last edited:
View attachment 23296

View attachment 23297

Had Auxiliary drive belt guards fitted ( as per pictures ) Having previously had an auxiliary belt break causing it to catch the cam belt which resulted in a new engine (not VW) I thought it worthwhile for some peace of mind. The question is why isn't it standard, the mechanic/technicians honest reply was ''penny pinching by VW'' He said he had fitted quite a few.

Are these guards available off the shelf @JamesH, or do they have to be ready made? Roughly what price are they?
Having had an auxiliary belt snap at 70mph wrap itself around the cam belt which then jammed and then the engine simply ripped itself to bits I am aware of the damage it can do. The engine (not VW) was beyond repair so the car was written off as new engine and labour was too much.
With the engine seizing at that speed it could been unpleasant, but I was lucky it was a manual gearbox and I had the space to bring the car to a halt in a safe(ish) location.

Last edited:
Are these guards available off the shelf @James, or do they have to be ready made? Roughly what price are they?
Having had an auxiliary belt snap at 70mph wrap itself around the cam belt which then jammed and then the engine simply ripped itself to bits I am aware of the damage it can do. The engine (not VW) was beyond repair so the car was written off as new engine and labour was too much.
With the engine seizing at that speed it could been unpleasant, but I was lucky it was a manual gearbox and I had the space to bring the car to a halt in a safe(ish) location.

Hello Simon,
Yes they are a standard VW part which I believe can be ordered in within 24 hours. The guards are £16 each but with nuts bolts fitting and the tax it cost £69. I think when we have had our experience, which is probably quite rare, then its something on the back of your mind.
Regards
James.

Hello Simon,
Yes they are a standard VW part which I believe can be ordered in within 24 hours. The guards are £16 each but with nuts bolts fitting and the tax it cost £69. I think when we have had our experience, which is probably quite rare, then its something on the back of your mind.
Regards
James.
If this is a known issue and these are "a standard VW part" then why aren't they fitted as standard from new?
Confused of Canterbury.

I think its down to "The chances" of it happening.
If as some have mentioned before, that the aux belt is more likely to fail because of the tensioner issue, then the guard is of no help, a better solution would be a stronger cam belt guard.

Yesterday ....went to the "jaarlijkse keuring " , MOT in the UK .
Got a red card as my headlights where out of line!
Went to a nearby garage , had them adjusted ( only took 5minutes work and 10€) and headed back for a second attemp to pass the test .
All clear , i'm ok for the next year.

a57866a270c798c1fac9d6fe49479277.jpg

Packed the van for all kind of situations and drove to Munich as a first stop.

Yesterday ....went to the "jaarlijkse keuring " , MOT in the UK .
Got a red card as my headlights where out of line!
Went to a nearby garage , had them adjusted ( only took 5minutes work and 10€) and headed back for a second attemp to pass the test .
All clear , i'm ok for the next year.
Here the MOT usually helps out with that kind of adjustment. Glad it passed finally.

Back