Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Great , can't beat a jump on your birthday :mute

Constructing a small kitchen pod:
i-sttcHpj-X2.jpg

Unloaded the van after Scotland trip and found roof corrosion so well p****d off.

Cleaning; due to the hard wind we had today, an egg had fallen on the windscreen :(.

From 'Mrs Borris'
I had my first go at driving Bluebell. No disasters and only one proper stall!! It wasn't as daunting as I'd expected, though my short legs made it a bit uncomfortable, as the seat can't be adjusted quite close enough for me. Unfortunately many of our frequently used routes involve narrow country lanes. Anyway, now I've broken my duck.

parked readiness position, front out and tire warmers on, home for two days leave tomorrow morning :)

Reactions: DM
From 'Mrs Borris'
I had my first go at driving Bluebell. No disasters and only one proper stall!! It wasn't as daunting as I'd expected, though my short legs made it a bit uncomfortable, as the seat can't be adjusted quite close enough for me. Unfortunately many of our frequently used routes involve narrow country lanes. Anyway, now I've broken my duck.

Well done Mrs Borris! Keep driving..it becomes less and less scary the more you do.

Tried to find out where that net thingy is supposed to fit so I cam make a decision over its merits.

I failed.

Tried to find out where that net thingy is supposed to fit so I cam make a decision over its merits.

I failed.
I suspect that the 'net thingy' is the safety net for the upper bed. Unless you have very young kids it'll be going in the garage like mine did with various other useless bits.

I suspect that the 'net thingy' is the safety net for the upper bed. Unless you have very young kids it'll be going in the garage like mine did with various other useless bits.
My boys are aged 1 year and 3 years. I slept upstairs with my three year old, and, although he didn't fall down, far more seriously, his teddy did, and I had to retrieve on more than one cold occasion. I'd like to fit the net before I decide if it needs keeping or recycling. It has four clips that I was guessing go onto the roof hoops, but I couldn't work out where the poppers pop onto.

My boys are aged 1 year and 3 years. I slept upstairs with my three year old, and, although he didn't fall down, far more seriously, his teddy did, and I had to retrieve on more than one cold occasion. I'd like to fit the net before I decide if it needs keeping or recycling. It has four clips that I was guessing go onto the roof hoops, but I couldn't work out where the poppers pop onto.
Look under the mattress :thumb

Can't help I'm afraid as I never actually fitted it. It wouldn't durprise me if VW have changed the fitting arrangements between the T5 and T6 but not bothered to tell anybody!

AC822375-8E08-4501-B6D5-FAD78AEAF0B3.jpg
Wednesday 22nd February 8pm. Checked weather for 23rd (day of storm Doris). Looked relatively rain free in the Forest of Dean near to Ross-on-Wye.

Thursday 23rd February 8am. Packed California. Packed some food etc. Packed kids. Set off. Stopped at Ludlow for lunch (Ludlow Kitchen - food is brilliant. 10/10)

Searched for campsite whilst having some food. Phoned up. Booked it. Then set the sat nav to Bracelands campsite near Symonds Yat Rock.

View attachment 19386

Arrived. Pressed "the button". Roof up. No wind/rain. So far so good!

Wrapped up and Went for a nice walk to the river Wye from the campsite which was convenient.

View attachment 19384

Then found a nice pub near by for dinner.

View attachment 19385

Friday 24th February. Woke up to sunny morning. Made nice breakfast and did another walk in the forest before setting off home.

View attachment 19387

Great mini break. Kids loved it. Nice to get away for a night. The thing I love about the camper van is that you can just look at the weather report the night before and find the best place to go and book a night and just set off.

Happy days!!

24th February 7pm. Planning next mini break!!!
We have just returned from Bracelands. We were shocked at how many VW campers there were having just returned from a week on 6 sites in Pembrokeshire where we were the Only people on site.

We walked down to the Saracens head pub but came back in the dark through the forest.
Picture is of view from pub.

View attachment 19935
We have just returned from Bracelands. We were shocked at how many VW campers there were having just returned from a week on 6 sites in Pembrokeshire where we were the Only people on site.

We walked down to the Saracens head pub but came back in the dark through the forest.
Were you in the Forest of Dean at the weekend? It's a very popular spot for weekenders wheras Pembrokeshire is too far for most and there's probably not many folks on longer trips at the moment. I love the forest bit it does get busy.

That's quite a walk back from the pub in the dark through the forest - respect.

Were you in the Forest of Dean at the weekend? It's a very popular spot for weekenders wheras Pembrokeshire is too far for most and there's probably not many folks on longer trips at the moment. I love the forest bit it does get busy.

We did have a head and hand torch just in case but didn't use them as our night vision would be lost and then would have missed the full size deer leaping out of our way.
The forest site was good and at £16.70 the cheapest on our trip.

View attachment 19935

Sounds great. We walked from the campsite and across the suspension bridge and got all the way to the hand ferry to go to the pub only to find it was closed due to the river conditions. We had to then immediately walk back making a total walk of 6.8 miles. The part from bridge back to campsite in the dark. (And it's uphill!) All this with a 4 and 9 year old. Surprisingly they both ate really well when we got to another pub that evening. Lesson here is to phone the ferry BEFORE starting the walk!

Nevertheless we will return again as very nice area to explore.

Reactions: DM
Tried to remove the spare tyre. My van is 10 years old and the spare is probably never used. Now I know at least one good reason why: the bolts are bonded to the chassis with quite some rust. Removed one bolt but the other one is very much unwilling to leave it's safe place. Tomorrow I will do another attempt. Will try not to use curses and spells.

Back