Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What option do you regret not getting?

Wow, are LEDs RRREALLY £2k then?
I paid £1,362 inc VAT for them (November 2015 price list with 14% discount). I justified it as I had just sold 5 of Meg's puppies, which, after accounting for vet's fees, food and whelping essentials, made a profit of £1,362 (more or less). So I don't price the lights in terms of pound notes, but in terms of puppies. And what would I rather have?
  1. five puppies pooing and weeing all over my van, digging holes in the seats and chewing through anything they can, or;
  2. blingy headlights.
The choice was easy to make.

That's a bit better than I thought then, I had £1,800+ in my head.

Yeah should have got the LED headlights and a 4 motion

Having read all the posts about the poor standard lights before we got our Beach I was expecting to say "yep, wish we'd gone for the LEDs". I drove back from Hastings last night and I honestly didn't think the standard lamps were that bad, certainly no worse than my previous car. If I were ordering today I wouldn't add LEDs at the price VW want.

I spec'd cruise control with the standard steering wheel. I kind of regret not going for the multi-function wheel because I'm struggling with the CC controls on the indicator stalk. Maybe I'll get used to them eventually.

I was tempted to spec the Climatronic but decided against it. I hope I don't regret that decision but I'm not planning much travel to southern Europe so I reckon I'll be OK.

But the way they fold only reduces the width by about an inch. Mind you I guess that could be an important inch if you knock a mirror off.
Just measured my T6 mirrors when folded and the reduction was around 70mm or close to 3 inches each side. Well worth it for vehicles passing close by IMO.

Just measured my T6 mirrors when folded and the reduction was around 70mm or close to 3 inches each side. Well worth it for vehicles passing close by IMO.

Totally agree. One of our wing mirrors knocked off in France by a large motorhome . After that on narrow roads/lanes fold our mirrors.

Each wing mirror protrudes by 197mm from the next widest part of the California (vehicle width 2297mm with wing mirrors, 1907mm without wing mirrors). A reduction of about a third of the protrusion is not very good. It may be valuable in certain circumstances, but is it worth £120 (April 2017 price) to be able to fold them in electrically? Now if they folded in automatically when the vehicle is locked, that would have a certain convenience value; my last car, a Peugeot, did this and it was an excellent way for me to visually check that the car was locked.

Yes, I regret not having the MF steering wheel. I had no idea I relied on the phone answer button and media volume buttons in my other cars. I absolutely love the look of the piano black bits on wheel without the MF so I wasn't bothered initially. Now though I miss the buttons so much that it's on my retrofit shopping list from hazzydayz ...

As an aside, I really don't have a problem with the standard lights on my ocean. They're a bit brown, so I might try and get some more bluey bulbs from t'internet one day just for coolness's sake but as for visibility they're plenty good enough. They have an interesting feature which some might have missed: if you push the switch stalk forward, they go much much brighter ... I found this very helpful when driving at night. Just saying.

.They have an interesting feature which some might have missed: if you push the switch stalk forward, they go much much brighter ...

Yeahh!!!! All new in MY2018 !!!

No just kidding

It's called "Upper beam headlights"

Standard in EVERY German car!!!!!

Oh and when you pull the switch it's then called "headlight flasher" by the way.

Each wing mirror protrudes by 197mm from the next widest part of the California (vehicle width 2297mm with wing mirrors, 1907mm without wing mirrors). A reduction of about a third of the protrusion is not very good. It may be valuable in certain circumstances, but is it worth £120 (April 2017 price) to be able to fold them in electrically? Now if they folded in automatically when the vehicle is locked, that would have a certain convenience value; my last car, a Peugeot, did this and it was an excellent way for me to visually check that the car was locked.

Definitely worth the money ,every mm counts when you live on Dartmoor in a small village. Very narrow lanes & protruding Devon hedges.

Have already had the wing mirrors hit twice by being passed by reckless drivers .So great peace of mind now the wing mirrors are folded back when driving the lanes . Great to have the option.

Last edited:
If the mf steering wheel is one of your regrets (which it seems to be in a few cases!) this is very easy and not even that expensive to retro fit .. in fact probably not that much more than the option would cost

We have folding mirrors on our Golf and they fold automatically when the car is locked. I was surprised that they don't on our Ocean.

Thought folding mirrors was standard on the ocean
They may be standard but they don't seem to auto fold when I look the vehicle like my golf. I'm going to check if it can be coded in as Max-Felix mentioned above.

They may be standard but they don't seem to auto fold when I look the vehicle like my golf. I'm going to check if it can be coded in as Max-Felix mentioned above.
Don't believe so as we've had this conversation before. Certainly no option with Carista

Mike

People have looked into it and the consensus is no they cannot be made to autofold.

As usual this only goes to show how individual the Cali is. I think the cost for the Electric folding mirrors is fair. I base that on the fact I use my vehicle every day on narrow lanes and the 70mm or so deduction in width is of real value. When I pull in on the nearside in order to let vehicles pass it prevents scratches from bushes. On the offside it frequently prevents contact with other vehicles, especially if I pass similarly tall vehicles with mirrors at the same height. As for folding automatically, when you do want them to fold on parking (which is not all the time) it's just a case of turning a knob that takes literally one second. All in all its one of the best value options I chose as it's used every day.

I would love to have privacy glass. Now trying to persuade my husband that we really need it.

Nope - there

nope - no auto fold options with Carista either.
I was referring to the vcds coding, sorry. It's something to do with a module change on the T6. T5s should be able to have it coded with vcds.

Unlike your Peugeot the California mirrors have a bit more inside them than a simple mirror, mirror motor and heating element, such as DAB, FM, mobile phone,TV and Satellite aerials. You may not have the options but the mirrors are capable of being fitted with them if needed, and Lane Assist.

Back