Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When will campsites reopen ?

Hi @Big Ron and others hopefully following the Borris announcement today all toilets and showers will be at least partially open at most sites.

Prior to today I had booked 5 sites for two weeks starting 4th July - every single campsite wrote to me last week and said we would only be able to attend if we had a toilet and shower.

So I can only speculate why they held that view - however following the announcement today I have one email from one site saying they will be doing a voluntary one in one out system (so facilities will be open but at much reduced capacity).
I post this as it may interest forum members who have yet to book and who aren’t sure what to expect.

I too am tired of the toilet debate - but I will share any further updates and what the experience is like 4th July :thumb

Ps my other tip would be to books doon as possible so as to avoid any restrictions that could arise later in the season - just MHO
Can you give a commentary on what your time on the toilet was like as well.....we’d all like to see marks out of 10 for ambience as well as cleanliness.

Perhaps we could have a top poo award for the very best toilet experience?
But then again, it’s probably best they stay shut isn’t it? Best to avoid another major Covid outbreak caused by the aerosol (say that again, slowly) effect from a Jaygas visit!?!
;)

If you're sensitive, don't look. This was the sole i.e. unisex, toilet servicing a rural Bulgarian camp site. Glad to have our own facilities!

DSCN1886.JPG

There was a cold water tap adjacent which served for sluicing down, hand washing and drinking supply.
The site did have "chalets" with toilet facilities, but the occupants of those and the campers only mixed in the restaurant.

Sorry; seem to have got well off topic now.

Last edited:
Good morning,

last year we planed a trip to England (ferries booked a long time ago). Even last week we thought we had to cancel it. But with the announcent that camp sites can open from 04/07 again we decided to go ahead.

The first camp site confirmed booking and that the shower / toilet block is available. This afternoon I will see that I arrange more bookings (we booked only one night so far).

If you know some good camp sites in the Lake Districts please let me know :)

Happy California,
Eberhard

If you're sensitive, don't look. This was the sole i.e. unisex, toilet servicing a rural Bulgarian camp site. Glad to have our own facilities!

View attachment 61451

There was a cold water tap adjacent which served for sluicing down, hand washing and drinking supply.
The site did have "chalets" with toilet facilities, but the occupants of those and the campers only mixed in the restaurant.

Nothing a coat of Dulux wouldn’t sort, seen as bad here over the years, dog poo bages & sanitary towels thrown into cubicle corners & adjacent pitches, the menace of ‘wet wipes’ everwhere, they need banning for eco friendly ones only

View attachment 61451

View attachment 61451

Looks clean

View attachment 61451

Classic squat & drop. Outward opening door (usually with broken lock), although with this model at least you can hang onto the metal coathanger fitting to prevent intruders during a no.2 & an external lightswitch so your mates can walk by and leave you in the dark. The later models have metal foot plates but other than that remain unchanged in design.

Good morning,

last year we planed a trip to England (ferries booked a long time ago). Even last week we thought we had to cancel it. But with the announcent that camp sites can open from 04/07 again we decided to go ahead.

The first camp site confirmed booking and that the shower / toilet block is available. This afternoon I will see that I arrange more bookings (we booked only one night so far).

If you know some good camp sites in the Lake Districts please let me know :)

Happy California,
Eberhard
Eskdale campsite. Great place, magnificent scenery, fantastic walks and rides, 3 pubs close by but not a lot else. Other than a steam train, great if you've got the youth in tow. It was run by a lovely family until recently, taken over by the NT 18mths or so ago but still very well run - or at least it was when we were last there 12mths ago. We'll be there in August.

View attachment 61451

It’s got a nice little ledge for some hand sanitiser, and maybe fresh cut flowers in a vase or even a Jo Malone candle.....and to finish it off a little sign that says ...”you don’t have to be mad to poo here but it helps”....or some such.... luvvleee!
:Depressed

Hello Kernowboy,

Thank you for the information, I will have a look at their website.

I had a wee bit of concern to travel, but now I am really looking forward to - can't wait.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Eskdale campsite. Great place, magnificent scenery, fantastic walks and rides, 3 pubs close by but not a lot else. Other than a steam train, great if you've got the youth in tow. It was run by a lovely family until recently, taken over by the NT 18mths or so ago but still very well run - or at least it was when we were last there 12mths ago. We'll be there in August.
Love this site

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The latest info re Scottish Government lockdown is that travel more than 5 miles is ok after the 3 July and campsites / holiday accommodation is OK after the 15 July - unless things take a turn for the worse. It remains to be seen how locals will welcome travellers but if we show discretion and good manners we should be fine. Only hope we are not mobbed by great whites taking over and showing no manners on the single track roads.

Beachside Campsite.
FAAEE42B-582F-4819-829D-4C07A97E7F3C.jpeg

A small fridge?! Great idea, you can keep your beers in that while you wait in the queue at the toilet block!
:thumb
I won’t be drinking any alcoholic beverage that’s stored in the white box pictured above. Nope not ever

I purchased one of these, just been testing it in the garden, I poor boiling water mixed with cold into the tanks for warm water

Screenshot_20200628-180151_Facebook.jpg