Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When will campsites reopen ?

Not in Wales and the 5 miles restriction is still in force.
Looks like England will be the Guinea pig.

:cheers:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2:cheers

Yay, It’s always darkest before the dawn

With S Korea declaring a 2nd wave and German's R number not settling maybe Wales has got it right. Time will tell.

I agree , I won't be going camping anyone soon , with so many people on furlough and kids still off school, camping will be far from an enjoyable experience. I'll be waiting until September. Good luck guinea pigs.

With S Korea declaring a 2nd wave and German's R number not settling maybe Wales has got it right. Time will tell.

You're talking like Wales won't do exactly the same imminently, they're just a week or so behind England, such as non-essential shops reopening yesterday. It's the same thing, no easy decisions, Wales needs its tourism and needs to stay safe like anywhere else. You're guinea pigs like the rest of us.

if you live in wales near the border and drive '5 miles' to England can you then go as far as you want ? or am I missing something

if you live in wales near the border and drive '5 miles' to England can you then go as far as you want ? or am I missing something

I think so -- that's what my friend who lives just across the border in Wales is doing

Well - agreed as going nowhere till at least mid-Sept when hopefully kids will be back at school if unions and parents let them!!!

I'm sorry if this might annoy some but I have to say it - we are all aware of the need for social distancing and children needing to be back at school but it does infuriate me when parents and teachers unions say it's not safe to go back yet watching the news last night it was deemed ok for all those children and staff to meet at the school where that poor teacher came from that was killed in Reading - the children and staff appeared to be hugging each other and holding hands!!!! No one told them not to and yet for those that have sadly lost partners, parents or relatives to the virus they weren't allowed to visit them or attend funerals - something wrong there I'm sorry to say!

Freuds Anal Stage
Freud emphasized a person’s control over defecating as the pleasure center from 18 months to 3 years old

If this virus has taught us anything, it’s that when faced with panic and anxiety people’s first thought is...will I still be able to have a sh!t

Well, any ex Army will remember ‘never run when you can walk, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie. Never miss an opportunity to eat, drink, p!ss or sh!t.........’

Yes, there's an FAQ on the Welsh Govt. website that specifically says that if you live close to the border and cross it then once you're in England the English laws and regulations apply.
I only live a couple of miles from the border so that's what I've been able to do for the last couple of weeks - and while it's nice to get to a few different places in England... all the great scenery that I really want to visit is still in Wales! :D

You're talking like Wales won't do exactly the same imminently, they're just a week or so behind England, such as non-essential shops reopening yesterday. It's the same thing, no easy decisions, Wales needs its tourism and needs to stay safe like anywhere else. You're guinea pigs like the rest of us.
Really useful having shops open when you are not supposed to travel more than 5 miles. A gift shop, ladies outfitters, wedding shop and a mobile phone repairers don't really do it for me I'm afraid.

Yes, there's an FAQ on the Welsh Govt. website that specifically says that if you live close to the border and cross it then once you're in England the English laws and regulations apply.
I only live a couple of miles from the border so that's what I've been able to do for the last couple of weeks - and while it's nice to get to a few different places in England... all the great scenery that I really want to visit is still in Wales! :D
Unfortunately we live more than a few miles from the border.

Bucket of hot water, stand up full body wash. No problem.
I carry a load of cheap flannels that can be used for washing and drying and put in the laundry for reuse.
Chemical porta potty either inside van or in awning/toilet tent.

Houseplant sprayers are quite good, using little water.

But you could surely invoke the Chicken Run exemption clause?

I still maintain I was well within the regulations. If a farm is permitted to trade in prepaid goods, as they were specifically permitted to do, it would be nonsensical for a client to have to arrange for a third party to collect and deliver the goods rather than collect in person.

Last edited:
Fair enough Karlos....but it was after ‘The War‘ so perhaps I’m not quite ‘that’ old yet.....maybe? ....hopefully?
Anyway....they’re saying they intend to open the bloody toilets!......that’s the story!
Just pulling your leg Ron, Frankie style, maybe.

Last edited:
I’ve booked a couple of nights in Scarborough in July with the C&CC. There is a promo code GRASSUK30 that gives 30% off for grass pitches (no electric). Two nights at circa £45 seem good value for the four of us. This site hopes to have all toilet and shower facilities open.

We'd purchased a Thetford 335 and toilet tent just in case a while back but will decide when we get there if we’ll bother. It is reassuring with kids to have the choice.

We’ve also got a Eurotunnel crossing booked at the end of July... the big question is if we take a toilet tent and portapotti to France (assuming quarantine is lifted), will we be the biggest joke in the campsite? I don’t recall ever seeing a toilet tent on the continent... but then I wouldn’t have been looking
No the biggest joke was my daughter about 3, 20 odd years ago running up the one night stop at a site in the grounds of a chateau shouting Dad, mum had to hold my hands while I was on the loo, its a hole in the ground with somewhere to put your feet. I raise this every so often just to wind her up.

Hi @Big Ron and others hopefully following the Borris announcement today all toilets and showers will be at least partially open at most sites.

Prior to today I had booked 5 sites for two weeks starting 4th July - every single campsite wrote to me last week and said we would only be able to attend if we had a toilet and shower.

So I can only speculate why they held that view - however following the announcement today I have one email from one site saying they will be doing a voluntary one in one out system (so facilities will be open but at much reduced capacity).
I post this as it may interest forum members who have yet to book and who aren’t sure what to expect.

I too am tired of the toilet debate - but I will share any further updates and what the experience is like 4th July :thumb

Ps my other tip would be to book as soon as possible so as to avoid any restrictions that could arise later in the season - just MHO

Last edited: