Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When will campsites reopen ?

Keeping campsite toilet facilities closed is the correct decision especially going in to peak summer season where social distancing will be impossible ( we all know what toilet blocks are like at 9am on a busy site) and I can't see campsite owners paying staff to just stand outside the toilet block allowing one in and one out all day long
I’d be more than happy to pay a higher pitch fee to have someone controlling the facilities if it was the difference between getting away or not

We always take ours abroad. Like to pitch up away from the central amenities.
Any strange looks or comments? Any countries that you wouldn’t pitch it?

Keeping campsite toilet facilities closed is the correct decision especially going in to peak summer season where social distancing will be impossible ( we all know what toilet blocks are like at 9am on a busy site) and I can't see campsite owners paying staff to just stand outside the toilet block allowing one in and one out all day long

Maybe we all have different images in our head of a typical campsite toilet/wash block, but in my mind that's nothing like as busy/cramped as the toilets in a motorway services or a pub on a busy night, and they're not going to keep the toilets closed for those (presumably).

I'd be pretty sure the majority of people will follow reasonable precautions, either as requested by a campsite manager or on their own initiative, that will reduce risks to an extremely low level.

One thing that's not been in the news much so far is the issue around the use of air dryers in washrooms, that create persistent aerosols (okay the person has just washed their hands, but quite likely not perfectly). A medic friend of ours is campaigning to have them de-activated and people encouraged to carry their own tissues or a cloth to dry their hands. No doubt various pros and cons around that.

i agrre with bigron. round and round in circles. what will happen will happen. as I've said before. I've been using shared tpilets and showers at work for the last 14 week. train toilets are open. services. etc. it's really simple. if they open and you don't like it. stay the f... home.
edit. those sodding hand dryers need turning off permanently.

Last edited:
Maybe we all have different images in our head of a typical campsite toilet/wash block, but in my mind that's nothing like as busy/cramped as the toilets in a motorway services or a pub on a busy night, and they're not going to keep the toilets closed for those (presumably).

I'd be pretty sure the majority of people will follow reasonable precautions, either as requested by a campsite manager or on their own initiative, that will reduce risks to an extremely low level.

One thing that's not been in the news much so far is the issue around the use of air dryers in washrooms, that create persistent aerosols (okay the person has just washed their hands, but quite likely not perfectly). A medic friend of ours is campaigning to have them de-activated and people encouraged to carry their own tissues or a cloth to dry their hands. No doubt various pros and cons around that.
I think you medic friend has too much time on his hands. :thumb

Keeping everything crossed that we can go camping in July. Happy to support the campsites we've booked by allowing them to keep my cash, but my goodness – so frustrating if the answer is no this evening. If pubs are reopening though, surely that means campsites will too?

Hers, actually. I haven't signed the petition because I don't know enough about the issue.
Explains it. Probably never been in a Gents toilet. ;)

Or in France possibly

(news suggests that travel corridors to various countries not requiring quarantine may open up soon)

I heard about that. Crazy. Why encourage people to leave the UK and spend their money elsewhere if there's a fab opportunity to spend our money here and support our own economy? Madness.

Or the Hairdressers.

I've got the hairdressers booked for 18 July. Can't wait. She's a wonderful human being and I'm keen to see her and support her small business. Nails booked for 4 July. More beauty treatments on 5 July.

I heard about that. Crazy. Why encourage people to leave the UK and spend their money elsewhere if there's a fab opportunity to spend our money here and support our own economy? Madness.
Possibly because they already have a summer holiday abroad booked that they still wish to take.

Possibly because they already have a summer holiday abroad booked that they still wish to take.

Ah, I just meant all those of us who haven't booked anywhere. And planned to just stay local as we'd assumed elsewhere would be closed.

Well I guess a lot of us might not be too happy if our government implemented or maintained movement controls (eg a quarantine) on any basis other than purely for essential public health.

But then the whole idea of 'reciprocal corridors' makes no sense anyway, except between countries that both have low infection levels.

Not so much "encouraging" as "allowing" and whilst I have no intentions of leaving the UK this year I will still be the first on the streets if the government tried to stop me for anything other than a most compelling national emergency. :)

Not so much "encouraging" as "allowing" and whilst I have no intentions of leaving the UK this year I will still be the first on the streets if the government tried to stop me for anything other than a most compelling national emergency. :)

I'll be out on the streets with you Jen. Let My People Go!
:embarrased