Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to put the solar controller

R

roelscali

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,
I have a 600 from 2020 and i think it is not pre wired for a solar system. I think to put a solar system on the roof and feed it directly with a victron controller to the house battery under the bonnet.

Does anyone know where to connect it if i choose to connect it directly in the technical cabinet ? black (-) to the body of the car and red (+) at the thick cable from the master switch with a circuit braker between it.

Any advice most welcome.

best regards Roel

IMG_20240713_145337445.jpg

While you wont have the Votronic MPPT solar charger or panel I’m surprised you say the wiring is not present as normally all the wiring is present in the loom. Have you pulled back the roof trim at the front of the van between the skylight and GFRP roof (it’s just Velcro) and looked around for wiring that is stuck to the ceiling. You should be able to see 3 sets of wiring - a black and red at the front that would be for the solar panel and goes into the utility cupboard and two other wiring pairs that would feed the sound system front speakers, VW have never even offered the latter option but the wiring is usually present, certainly in vans up to 2023 MY. If the solar wiring is in the roof space then its somewhere amoungst the mass of wiring in your picture as would be the wiring from the MPPT to the van.

thanks for your reply. i do have the wiring in the roof but i can not see where it enters the utility cupboard. And i also have to put a MPPT between it.

IMG_20240713_155023512.jpg

If its in the roof the logic would say its in the utility cupboard, it will be unterminated and somewhere amongst the wiring along with a brown & red/white unterminated wire that you would take to the MPPT per attached pic. Have you checked behind the fuse array?

IMG_1032.jpeg

Back