Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

I may have missed that, but read:
Prof Kook doubts the hybrid would be of much interest in the car industry though, where electric and hybrid vehicles are already advanced and replacing diesel cars.”
That misses the point though, eg. People who already have a car they love (Cali owners?), can’t afford a new one or would prefer to minimise their emissions and retrofit rather than buy new.
A consumer hydrogen car already exists - the Toyota Mirai…

Sorry, I’m sure I read elsewhere it’s not feasible especially as retro fit, due to the size of tanks required.
Fine for shipping or quarry vehicles, that sort of thing :thumb

I shall wait in anticipation for the hydrogen conversion kit for my Cali. In the meanwhile, trailer a microlino behind the Cali . Park the Cali outside any town that does not allow diesel vehicles and drive the microlino in.

... continues dreaming ...

Thought this might be of interest to others.

Kia EV6 - really nice car, excellent warranty. Build feels pretty good and a really nice place to be. Not overly keen on the rear end, but the rest looks good.
Unfortunately low stock levels and unconfirmed build dates. Quite hard to get hold of one.

Cupra Born - probably one of the best looking EVs. Really impressive, not sure about the infotainment system. Not much stock about and not exactly cheap either, for something that’s comparable to a Ford Focus?
But overall, a really nice EV if you can source one at the right price.

Tesla Model Y - Elon dropped the price bomb and now this thing really stands out for attention. Styling, it’s not ugly, but it’s not exactly pretty either. I can’t imagine turning back for a look after parking.
Comes very well specced, great space inside, drives nice, quick and the giant IPad thing just works.
I would say build is right up there with BMW/Merc, not quite Porsche. But it’s not far off in all fairness.
Two negatives, ride quality isn’t the best and it could do with a head-up display for the speedo.
This is a brand I really want to hate. But unfortunately with the latest pricing, it’s won me over…

Volkswagen ID Buzz - This is something you buy with your heart.
It’s a lovely place to be, the ride is limo like. It’s so quiet and smooth and visibility is brilliant. Most of all, it reminds you of an old type 2. Everybody loves those.
However, it’s £20k more expensive than a Tesla model Y…!!!
The lack of equipment as standard is infuriating, the info system is years out of date and the pricing is total bonkers. But most annoying of all, is the lack of flexibility. The T7 seating layout is a masterpiece in comparison to the Buzz. I don’t understand why Volkswagen didnt put a rail system in the rear and swivel chairs in the front.
The pricing is mad, it just doesn’t make sense.
But, I still love this vehicle and hope and pray future variants will address its shortcomings.

So I cancelled my Buzz order today.
Perhaps the Cali Buzz in a few years time. It’s sad not being part of the VW van club anymore. 20 years, most of my driving years in a Volkswagen van, come to an end…:sad

Kia EV6 - really nice car, excellent warranty. Build feels pretty good and a really nice place to be. Not overly keen on the rear end, but the rest looks good.
Unfortunately low stock levels and unconfirmed build dates. Quite hard to get hold of one.

Cupra Born - probably one of the best looking EVs. Really impressive, not sure about the infotainment system. Not much stock about and not exactly cheap either, for something that’s comparable to a Ford Focus?

Tesla Model Y - Elon dropped the price bomb and now this thing really stands out for attention. Styling, it’s not ugly, but it’s not exactly pretty either. I can’t imagine turning back for a look after parking.
Comes very well specced, great space inside, drives nice, quick and the giant IPad thing just works.
I would say build is right up there with BMW/Merc, not quite Porsche. But it’s not far off in all fairness.
Two negatives, ride quality isn’t the best and it could do with a head-up display for the speedo.
This is a brand I really want to hate. But unfortunately with the latest pricing, it’s won me over…

It’s a lovely place to be, the ride is limo like. It’s so quiet and smooth and visibility is brilliant. Most of all, it reminds you of an old type 2. Everybody loves those.
The lack of equipment as standard is infuriating, the info system is years out of date and the pricing is total bonkers. But most annoying of all, is the lack of flexibility. The T7 seating layout is a masterpiece in comparison to the Buzz. I don’t understand why Volkswagen didnt put a rail system in the rear and swivel chairs in the front.
But, I still love this vehicle and hope and pray future variants will address its shortcomings.

Perhaps the Cali Buzz in a few years time. It’s sad not being part of the VW van club anymore. 20 years, most of my driving years in a Volkswagen van, come to an end…:sad

I rode with the Cupra Born today. I have owned an ID.3 for a while, so I assumed to know the quirks of the infotainment system. Well, it turns out I didn't. I couldn't understand how the heater works, how to disable the lane assist (which seemed much more aggressive than the ID.3), etc etc.

It was a terrible and frustrating driving experience.

Another nice car could be the Hyundai ioniq 6.

But with the updated prices, Tesla (Y or 3) suddenly seems to make the most sense.

Or an MG, which also has decent prices!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

The Hyundai Ionic 6 is getting some great reviews. The 4 motor AWD looks to be a nice performer. Class leading drag numbers. Not sure about the back end but I guess looks take a back seat to aero efficiency. Well designed interior. I would take one of those over a faddy I5 any day.

I'm sorry you've cancelled. I feel like I've lost a Buzz brother. If I'd known you were walking out of the relationship, I'd have tried to tell you to not lose faith, for she's not just a pretty face.
I bet the dealer was pleased. We've been offered over list for ours by one of the biggest VW van dealers. I'm surprised you didn't sit on your order and consider flipping it, if and when it arrives.
I'm falling in love with ours, but intend selling it when the Cali we have on order arrives, hopefully in April/May time.
I do agree with you. For the price you pay, you're not getting good value. The trouble is, I've fallen for the hype. I hope when it comes to the early divorce it doesn't prove too costly, what with this talk of EV's secondhand values dropping 20%.

I rode with the Cupra Born today. I have owned an ID.3 for a while, so I assumed to know the quirks of the infotainment system. Well, it turns out I didn't. I couldn't understand how the heater works, how to disable the lane assist (which seemed much more aggressive than the ID.3), etc etc.

It was a terrible and frustrating driving experience.

Another nice car could be the Hyundai ioniq 6.

But with the updated prices, Tesla (Y or 3) suddenly seems to make the most sense.

Or an MG, which also has decent prices!

You disable the lane assist by going into the assistance menu's and pressing an X.

It really is intuitive. Having been plagued by it on my Ducato it was the first thing I did when I picked up my Cupra.

The heater also works quite well. It is called air conditioning and is on display no matter which page of the infotainment system you are on. You can also manage it via the App on your phone.

@soulstyledevon and @SusiBus I feel a little sad to hear all this, as you may recall I cancelled my Buzz order last August for very similar reasons. I really love the Buzz but tbh until it comes (as a van) with swivel seats and seat rails in the back I don't think it's for me. Also yes, the price is indeed Bonkers! In the meantime our Coast does everything we want, brilliantly, except be cheap to run or leave me with a clear (environmental) conscience.

So, to the question (elephant?) in the room.... who on this forum intends to buy (and keep) a Buzz?

You disable the lane assist by going into the assistance menu's and pressing an X.

It really is intuitive. Having been plagued by it on my Ducato it was the first thing I did when I picked up my Cupra.

The heater also works quite well. It is called air conditioning and is on display no matter which page of the infotainment system you are on. You can also manage it via the App on your phone.

On my ID.3, there was a button 'assist', which took me to the assist menu. That button isn't there in the Cupra. That is why I couldn't disable the lane assist. How to go to the assistance menu?

The buttons on the bottom of the infotainment system (ID.3) have disappeared in the Cupra. That is probably why I'm lost.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to put the fan speed on 'auto' regarding the airco. How to do that?

@soulstyledevon and @SusiBus I feel a little sad to hear all this, as you may recall I cancelled my Buzz order last August for very similar reasons. I really love the Buzz but tbh until it comes (as a van) with swivel seats and seat rails in the back I don't think it's for me. Also yes, the price is indeed Bonkers! In the meantime our Coast does everything we want, brilliantly, except be cheap to run or leave me with a clear (environmental) conscience.

So, to the question (elephant?) in the room.... who on this forum intends to buy (and keep) a Buzz?
Me, if it comes as a proper camper in 2024 as VW have indicated they intend to do.

So sorry for your loss. Tesla for the win.

Ah, my apologies, fair enough.
We got the New Fiat 500 10 months ago and love it. (Fiat’s name for the Fiat 500e on sale in UK. I understand there was briefly a 500e in the US that was a bolt on job. ) it is indeed a completely new EV built from the ground up. Bigger than the ICE 500 (we had the twinair version, which lasted 8 years and was cheap and fun) and much better in terms of space, equipment, performance, handling and style. Definitely worth checking out if you’re looking to buy.

I'm sorry you've cancelled. I feel like I've lost a Buzz brother. If I'd known you were walking out of the relationship, I'd have tried to tell you to not lose faith, for she's not just a pretty face.
I bet the dealer was pleased. We've been offered over list for ours by one of the biggest VW van dealers. I'm surprised you didn't sit on your order and consider flipping it, if and when it arrives.
I'm falling in love with ours, but intend selling it when the Cali we have on order arrives, hopefully in April/May time.
I do agree with you. For the price you pay, you're not getting good value. The trouble is, I've fallen for the hype. I hope when it comes to the early divorce it doesn't prove too costly, what with this talk of EV's secondhand values dropping 20%.

Enjoy the Buzz.
Maybe it will win you over and you may keep it…?
It’s a great drive, honestly, better than the Tesla, just not £20k better…

The dealer told me, they’re offering £5k over asking for Buzzes at the minute.

I still had no confirmed build date, only a proposed build week of week 21. I can’t have money tied up doing nothing, indefinitely.
Time to draw a line under it and move on.

It feels like the right thing to do and you should always trust your gut feelings. I think VW have got greedy with the Buzz. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

It looks great, but it’s not like the Coast where you can pull up, make a brew and eat your fish and chips around a table.
It would be fine sinking £70k into a California, because it’s so useful. But it’s a lot of money for a large estate car…

The Hyundai Ionic 6 is getting some great reviews. The 4 motor AWD looks to be a nice performer. Class leading drag numbers. Not sure about the back end but I guess looks take a back seat to aero efficiency. Well designed interior. I would take one of those over a faddy I5 any day.

I like this car, saw one today on the road. It’s so different.
I had an MG Maestro when I was 18 and the styling reminds me of that late 1980s menace… :cool:

I like this car, saw one today on the road. It’s so different.
I had an MG Maestro when I was 18 and the styling reminds me of that late 1980s menace… :cool:
The i6 looks like a Mercedes CLS to my eye. The i5 does have a little MG Maestro in its contouring.

The i6 looks like a Mercedes CLS to my eye. The i5 does have a little MG Maestro in its contouring.

Yes, you’re right.
Got them mixed up :thumb

Just been past Brent Cross Shopping Centre. Large carpark still with loads of unregistered Teslas. Looked like mainly "Y" model. Seems like they need the 20% price reduction to work.
Is there a waiting list for buying a new Tesla?

Just been past Brent Cross Shopping Centre. Large carpark still with loads of unregistered Teslas. Looked like mainly "Y" model. Seems like they need the 20% price reduction to work.
Is there a waiting list for buying a new Tesla?
Maybe just a queue of people who cancelled Buzz orders wanting immediate delivery. (...sorry!)

It's funny all this talk of drastic Tesla price reductions - the price is still higher than I paid in 2019 for same spec model.. seems they just deflated the inflation added in the last few years

It's funny all this talk of drastic Tesla price reductions - the price is still higher than I paid in 2019 for same spec model.. seems they just deflated the inflation added in the last few years

I think that’s probably true.
However, the rest of the car industry bases their EV pricing on Tesla’s. So anything new released in the last two years now looks expensive…

Back