Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Writing off 2020

S

steve and lisa

VIP Member
We have just cancelled our trip to France and Italy as there now high risk of of the situation changing at a moment's notice, the ferry company has allowed us to change our dates to next year FOC. We then planned to do a few trips in the UK but everywhere nice is fully booked until end of season.

Seriously considering selling up now

We have just cancelled our trip to France and Italy as there now high risk of of the situation changing at a moment's notice, the ferry company has allowed us to change our dates to next year FOC. We then planned to do a few trips in the UK but everywhere nice is fully booked until end of season.

We understand your disappointment over 2020, we have lost 4 trips so far this year.
We have another 2 booked that we may or may not be able to go on, plus we would have have done a number of just get up and goes. Everyones situation is different, but we are in this for the long term, selling up due to C19 has never entered our heads. In the meantime we are enjoying using our Cali as much as we can on day trips, picnics, night meals to watch the sunset and dreaming of when we can start to use our van fully again.

If you can afford to, hang on in there. Hopefully many years and trips ahead.

Steve, Lisa, we are in a similar position. Booked to go on a 12 week trip in March which was quashed and rebooked for September but not sure whether to go or not in the current climate. We don’t want to find ourselves locked out if governments declare a second wave of the virus. In all likelihood we will rebook for next March for a continental jolly and do local weekend trips until matters settle. Ignore the negative comments and carry on.

@steve and lisa

Yes, it must sometimes seem like that, no where decent and all gloom and doom like the recent Daily Mail article, subject of another thread, paints that picture.

Well, there are a lot of places open,

Three weeks ago I was at Ashwell, 20 minutes from Duford air museum, what has to be one of the most amazing museums anywhere, nice countryside, lovely village, great walking and cycling,

Two weeks time I will be west of the Brecon, glorious countryside, a beautiful location in a wooded valley with a stream running through the campsite, great facilities, responsibly managed, on my way to there stopping at the CAMC Cirencester park, lovely little town, great walking and cycling, interesting museum etc.

In September Jo and I are travelling together, I am lugging her caravan to Ferry Meadows, lakes, all weather paths, running, cycling, walking, bird watching, animal spotting, heritage railway, CAMC site, well... two sites.

In October I am on a day by day tour, Suffolk two rivers country, Cambridge, Malvern hills, Wye valley .... two out of 4 CAMC sites so great facilities in great locations.

There is a lot out there. We live in a beautiful country (UK) with unpredictable weather that has to be planned for and taken into consideration but despite the weather unpredictability can still provide an enormity of interest and beauty.

Yes, I can understand your despair at cancelling trips abroad, it can be turned on it's head, an opportunity to explore and wander, rather more cheaply as well,

We are also looking to sell up now, camping has had its day now in the UK, every tom dick and harry are now camping as we are all being told to staycate, also with going to the continent now being no-go I can see our van being parked up on the drive for forceable

Or it could be a camping Revival that this country needs ! From adversity comes opportunities.
Opportunity for the government to change some of the preventative issues to this country adopting the French aire system and municipal facilities and mentality so many of us enjoy over the pond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve, I just booked yesterday for a 2 week Switzerland trip. There are others on here, who are driving around France right now. It is a beautiful world out there and you need to go out and enjoy it.

You mention the situation changing at a moment's notice - is not everything changing around you all the time?

The virus is not hanging around every corner waiting just for you. Be careful, apply abundant caution and you will be fine. Enjoy the trips.

I am sorry, do not know about your personal circumstances, but both me and my wife are working from home, so in case we are asked to quarantine when we return, it is easy to do so. What if Switzerland closes in Sept when we are to travel, I will travel some place else.

Be flexible, be open, enjoy nature, and enjoy the van.

Or it could be a camping Revival that this country needs ! From adversity comes opportunities.
Opportunity for the government to change some of the preventative issues to this country adopting the French aire system and municipal facilities and mentality so many of us enjoy over the pond?

Absolutely agree.

Covid singling out the obese, the upsurge in cycling, the need to reduce overcrowded public transport, the war on ICE emissions, the likelihood of epidemics flaring up anywhere anytime, there has never been a better time for a huge, collective national effort to get out there and enjoy what nature gives us for free, in a most beautiful country, still with many places of big open space despite urban overcrowding, without being worried about pet passports, visa's, exchange rates, ferries being cancelled.....

Last edited:
I have had to pay the last payment for our return trip from Santander to Portsmouth today... But we have decided that instead of losing the 25% deposit im going to change the booking for the same dates in 2021.
The price is pretty much the same and hope that all this crap is over in a years time..
If this improves in the next few weeks then will probably book ferry to France last minute.. Cant think there will be a shortage of ferry spaces from Dover even at the last minute.

C7163428-D0D3-467C-86F3-199888FF861D.jpegThere’s so many quiet spots, just get out there and explore. Even if it’s just for a day trip or some free camping.

i see your point but disagree. you just need to do some research. use search for sites and google maps. bit of phoning around and bang i've sorted out 6 nights in the yorkshire Dales. just do your research and stay away from the usual hotspots. easy

I have had to pay the last payment for our return trip from Santander to Portsmouth today... But we have decided that instead of losing the 25% deposit im going to change the booking for the same dates in 2021.
The price is pretty much the same and hope that all this crap is over in a years time..
If this improves in the next few weeks then will probably book ferry to France last minute.. Cant think there will be a shortage of ferry spaces from Dover even at the last minute.
Pete it should be free to move your booking dates !

We are due to go to France next Thursday for 3 weeks so will play it by ear. If the rules change we should at least get a week in SW France ,and then head back early to clear 14 days as son starts secondary school early Sept.

i see your point but disagree. you just need to do some research. use search for sites and google maps. bit of phoning around and bang i've sorted out 6 nights in the yorkshire Dales. just do your research and stay away from the usual hotspots. easy
Agree, booked on Tuesday for a cheeky weekend Fri - Mon
Tomorrow! :thumb

It is free to move the Dates but the prices are slightly up for 2021 compared to 2020.. It Brittany Ferries we are dealing with..LOL...
I asked for a full refund, which hit my Bank recently!

Yes I agree -- seems to be new and interesting sites popping up -- clearly some people with fields have realised there's some money to be made -- we are off to shropshire for the weekend

+1 for the Cali making a great day van rediscover your local patch

It’s definitely time for the powers that be to realise what a market there is waiting to be tapped into, sadly I can’t see it happening :headbang