Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Writing off 2020

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
France is nice this time of year. Have you considered that?
We have been going to France for the past 20 years...France is where our Journey ALWAYS starts but finishes in Spain.. With the lockdowns ALL over Europe which country is going to be safe. Nobody knows..

Jontymo

Jontymo

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
For info we are in France now at one of the site’s favourite to a few members on here - le Capeyrou on the Dordogne, it is busy on here but well spaced with a few rules around the facilities and wearing masks etc we have felt safe and practise the social distancing as we do at home, it feels to us like we have as much/little risk at home with what’s going on as we do here In France. We are booked for another 2 weeks away at the start of September and providing no lock down will definitely be travelling into Europe hopefully getting to Switzerland and France again.

StefanTaylor61

StefanTaylor61

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have just cancelled our trip to France and Italy as there now high risk of of the situation changing at a moment's notice, the ferry company has allowed us to change our dates to next year FOC. We then planned to do a few trips in the UK but everywhere nice is fully booked until end of season.

Seriously considering selling up now
We're being positive and heading to Sweden for 3 months: the only country not to have locked down, and now rapidly decreasing infection rates - I'm sure the low population density and highly socially responsible people help. Think we may be the only campervanbfrom UK Sweden has had such alarmist/negative press

W

Wildcamper

Vehicle
Just browsing
We have just cancelled our trip to France and Italy as there now high risk of of the situation changing at a moment's notice, the ferry company has allowed us to change our dates to next year FOC. We then planned to do a few trips in the UK but everywhere nice is fully booked until end of season.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. Just booked 3 nights in S Wales for next week, 4 nights on N York Moors for mid Sept and 4 nights in Pembrokeshire. No problems!

T

Terrysamw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Let us know what happens and if you decide to travel or not...Also if you go let us know the Campsite availability and if there are any problems. I have now changed our return ticket to the same time next year from Spain. Even managed to get a Commodore cabin and they are like gold dust.. Why not, life is too short...We still have the Portsmouth to Caen ticket open which is due to sail on the 7th Sept... Our Daughters weren't happy with us going to Spain certainly with whats happening at the moment...
Hi,
We have been caught in Spain now, the area we are in is so aware, everyone wears a mask outside their house, beaches are deserted if you are prepared to explore, the shops, restaurants and bars are very good at socially distancing, I have never been given so much hand gel, I have seen fewer people here than shopping locally at home. Our son works a supermarket at home and feels far safer here. The area we are in also has few infections, probably because the locals have made such an effort, but the whole country has been targeted. Only downside is we will have to isolate when we get back but there wasn't exactly much notice!

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi,
We have been caught in Spain now, the area we are in is so aware, everyone wears a mask outside their house, beaches are deserted if you are prepared to explore, the shops, restaurants and bars are very good at socially distancing, I have never been given so much hand gel, I have seen fewer people here than shopping locally at home. Our son works a supermarket at home and feels far safer here. The area we are in also has few infections, probably because the locals have made such an effort, but the whole country has been targeted. Only downside is we will have to isolate when we get back but there wasn't exactly much notice!
And exactly how much notice would you have liked? 2 days, 1 week or 2 weeks? :mute

T

Terrysamw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
And exactly how much notice would you have liked? 2 days, 1 week or 2 weeks? :mute
It wouldn't have made much difference to us, so totally accept the decision was made and timing doesn't work for some. In our case it just wasn't enough to get back without isolating, but we can isolate here and at home.

C

camperjase

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are in France, Lac Serre-Ponçon, weather is great, everything appears as normal, lots of people like us smiling and having fun running, cycling, walking windsurfing, kayaking, biking, road and mtb, via ferrata and of course wearing masks in shops. Go for it, come and join us, we haven't seen any Brits! We'll likely get 10 hrs notice of the intention to change the rules and that's how long it will take to get to Calais Eurotunnel on the toll roads. What could possibly go wrong!

R

rachy

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Steve, I just booked yesterday for a 2 week Switzerland trip. There are others on here, who are driving around France right now. It is a beautiful world out there and you need to go out and enjoy it.

You mention the situation changing at a moment's notice - is not everything changing around you all the time?

The virus is not hanging around every corner waiting just for you. Be careful, apply abundant caution and you will be fine. Enjoy the trips.

I am sorry, do not know about your personal circumstances, but both me and my wife are working from home, so in case we are asked to quarantine when we return, it is easy to do so. What if Switzerland closes in Sept when we are to travel, I will travel some place else.

Be flexible, be open, enjoy nature, and enjoy the van.
Currently in Switzerland, have been here 7 days. Not much social distancing compared to UK but being ‘alert’ and keeping hands clean , not touching face etc etc. Campsite is spotless, except post thunderstorms, basically enjoying ourselves
Off to France tomorrow and then back home to my town which is a ‘hotspot’ . Common sense prevails. If you have no common sense or are too scared to get out there, stay home, nothing wrong with that.

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach

So far on this trip we’ve been in France, Germany, Denmark, Germany and Austria. Detailed regularly updated info from this EC website says who can go where from where. We didn’t reserve anything. You can even go to Norway, which we can’t. What are

So far on this trip we’ve been in France, Germany, Denmark, Germany and Austria. Detailed regularly updated info from this EC website says who can go where from where. We didn’t reserve anything. You can even go to Norway, which we can’t. What are you waiting for?

Victor

Victor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204

So far on this trip we’ve been in France, Germany, Denmark, Germany and Austria. Detailed regularly updated info from this EC website says who can go where from where. We didn’t reserve anything. You can even go to Norway, which we can’t. What are

So far on this trip we’ve been in France, Germany, Denmark, Germany and Austria. Detailed regularly updated info from this EC website says who can go where from where. We didn’t reserve anything. You can even go to Norway, which we can’t. What are you waiting for?

Probably waiting for the global pandemic to end or at least reduce, why people needed to desperately go overseas and cause more problems is beyond me .

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We're being positive and heading to Sweden for 3 months: the only country not to have locked down, and now rapidly decreasing infection rates - I'm sure the low population density and highly socially responsible people help. Think we may be the only campervanbfrom UK Sweden has had such alarmist/negative press
Do be careful as once you step into Sweden (with some regional exceptions) you will not be allowed into Denmark, Norway or Finland without quarantine.

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Probably waiting for the global pandemic to end or at least reduce, why people needed to desperately go overseas and cause more problems is beyond me .
I do agree, if you intend to cause problems it’s probably best to stay home.

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We know why you feel they way you do but a quote I often remember: The mind has it‘s own place, it can make a heaven out of a hell or a hell out of a heaven.

We plan to head off on the road less travelled and to use our machine for day trips etc. It will all come right.

B

BenM

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We just arrived at Southwinds in Cornwall and they are below capacity due to not allowing tents. Fill your boots!

Paul Grice

Paul Grice

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I understand you disappointment and why you think you might as well cash in and sell your cali.... I'll give you five grand for it.. let me know :)

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
You only have to read the thread on staycations to see why people may wish to go abroad.
Moving between 2 areas of similar risk doesn’t seem irresponsible to me. From where I am in Spain all I can see is people acting carefully & sensibly, masks, sanitizer and spacing all in use, but this area is as different to Benidorm as you could get.
When we left the uk it was in accordance with foreign office advice. Looking at the uk news It looks far safer in this part of Spain than an overcrowded beach anywhere in the uk