Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Writing off 2020

So just this morning sorted out dalby forest and flamboro head . Up to now all last minute giving 11 nights away. Now where to go on Wednesday?

Just finished week two of three at my parent’s house by Chichester harbour, just my two boys, au pair and me.
d61145c4cf392272cc27dff145166a60.jpg

(That’s the sea behind the front row of houses.)

Both boys have been learning to sail in the optimist with Lily.

b9ea3c320a2dddb85217e068109f3ee6.jpg

And we’ve had walks in the South Downs to the north.

9d30e82944dc9f799acd2292a776c9f5.jpg

And cycle rides locally and in the New Forest to the west.

Other entertainment has been watching a digger and dumper dig a trench to lay a new high voltage electric cable under a stream and tidal swamp.

e0787b7b9ebc0253a70db7bde4dee0dd.jpg

And all this just 90 minutes from London.

Next week just Ben and I hope to have a two night and one day excursion to climb Cader Idris.

And the week after we still hope to have a two week camping holiday in France.

It’s all temporary to a certain degree.
It’d be nice if the government allowed some form of free camping with facilities like in Europe.
UK campsites are full to bursting but local businesses could benefit if more of us are exploring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went to Bournemouth sandbanks to be precise on the bank holiday weekend when the media reported widely that social distancing wasn’t be adhered to on these particular beaches.

I can say with confidence that from what I experienced first hand was that the media reports were inaccurate.

We arrived at sandbanks around 7.30am walked the dog down the beach had breakfast in the van and sat on the beach till around noon. Found the beach to be well spaced out with the nearest people to us about 10 meters away. We managed to socially distance with no effort. Now I’m not saying that everyone would have done that but we did and the people around us did.

Now i would have expected to see a spike in the following 2 weeks but that didn’t seem to materialise round here so we will be going to the beach again and being sensible when we do
Sandbanks is our local beach and it really doesn't get that busy and nor does the beach around Canford Cliffs. Relative the the size of the beach there is limited parking and most people are too lazy to walk far.
The main issue that weekend was on Bournemouth beach. I went for a run at around 0630 and it was lovely and empty - dreadful six hours later!

Eurotunnel booked late Aug and heading to west France - five nights at Ile de Re and seven at Yelloh Panorama near Arcachon, before heading back through Loire valley for a few nights. Had originally planned to get down to San Sebastian but decided against it this time.

Already had trips cancelled to Sardinia and Croatia through a tour operator (Neilson), but this time were travelling independently so have more flexibility...

We have just cancelled our trip to France and Italy as there now high risk of of the situation changing at a moment's notice, the ferry company has allowed us to change our dates to next year FOC. We then planned to do a few trips in the UK but everywhere nice is fully booked until end of season.

Seriously considering selling up now
We love the freedom that the California gives us! Even allows us to go and stay on friends driveways for self distanced visits. I don’t know what we would of done without it during these difficult times!

Not sure if this has been shared before.
Thanks for sharing

Not sure if this has been shared before.

It looks as if someone is beginning to get the message about camper requirements. They have a resource and it can be "monetised". Good for them, I hope that it is not abused.

We have just cancelled our trip to France and Italy as there now high risk of of the situation changing at a moment's notice, the ferry company has allowed us to change our dates to next year FOC. We then planned to do a few trips in the UK but everywhere nice is fully booked until end of season.

Seriously considering selling up now
Don't listen to the nonsense comments on this thread. If you do decide to sell up you'll probably make a profit at the moment and could probably get a really good deal on a campervan in 2021. :)

I just returned tonight from a weekend camping in the Scottish Borders. Booked the site last Wed - no problem. Only 2 other pitches occupied. Weather brilliant and the scenery and solitude to die for.....
Don't listen to the doom mongers on this thread. The UK exists beyond north of Watford!!! Just avoid the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales - seems most people think they are the only places with hills, lakes and rivers!!!

I just returned tonight from a weekend camping in the Scottish Borders. Booked the site last Wed - no problem. Only 2 other pitches occupied. Weather brilliant and the scenery and solitude to die for.....
Don't listen to the doom mongers on this thread. The UK exists beyond north of Watford!!! Just avoid the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales - seems most people think they are the only places with hills, lakes and rivers!!!

To everyone grumbling about all the 'nice' sites being fully booked.
This morning I have booked...
- Northumberland, walking distance to the beach, for this coming weekend
- Yorkshire Dales, for weekend after
- Yorkshire Dales, entire Bank Holiday weekend

There are still lots of lovely sites available, if you just avoid those awful 'club' sites

To everyone grumbling about all the 'nice' sites being fully booked.
This morning I have booked...
- Northumberland, walking distance to the beach, for this coming weekend
- Yorkshire Dales, for weekend after
- Yorkshire Dales, entire Bank Holiday weekend

There are still lots of lovely sites available, if you just avoid those awful 'club' sites
Agree fully about the campsites. There is also much less 'fuss' about Covid than appears to be the case on the larger 'club' sites - they all had clean toilet blocks and left plenty disinfectant, sanitiser and wipes in the block for you to use before and after a visit. And they are a damn 'site' cheaper!! Happy campervanning. :cool:

Why avoid the lakes? Just go to the right bit of the lakes. Arrived in Eskdale today, have been here same time of year for the last 3 years, quietest I’ve seen by far. NT campsite limiting at 60% capacity, love this place. Peace, solitude and amazing walking/biking. Kids favourite campsite by far. Just been treated to an awesome lightning display and of course it’s pouring with rain, but wouldn’t want to be anywhere else!

It looks as if someone is beginning to get the message about camper requirements. They have a resource and it can be "monetised". Good for them, I hope that it is not abused.
The scheme was just a trial and finishing at the end of August so as not to hamper the sector's re-emergence post lockdown. It will though inform future planning.

The scheme was just a trial and finishing at the end of August so as not to hamper the sector's re-emergence post lockdown. It will though inform future planning.

That must be a recent update. Last week it said "For the duration of 2020" :(

Ssshh, keep this a secret. There are places where you can wild camp in Scotland for free and the local council even provides a chemical disposal point (also free). This picture was taken at Loch Clatteringshaws, in Galloway Forest 3 days ago. You can stay 1 night free, although they say a charge will be applied very soon (I reckon £5?). Shame we English are not so enlightened, but hats off to the Scots.

IMG_0678.jpg

@Dave Wickham is this a Forestry and Land Scotland site as referred to in earlier posts? It looks like they are continuing their initiative despite suggestions that the trial scheme had now stopped.