Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your preferred solar controller?

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi Team, I am hovering over the 'order' button on solar panels. I have a small 40w panel on our boat and use the NASA bluetooth controller and app (app is very basic) to check operation etc. I do like to use my Iphone to interface with all these types of goodies so thought I would ask here how others get on with theirs.

Do you use bluetooth setups? like the Victron 75/15 MPPT charger foe example? Would you recommend it and why?

Many thanks

Hi Team, I am hovering over the 'order' button on solar panels. I have a small 40w panel on our boat and use the NASA bluetooth controller and app (app is very basic) to check operation etc. I do like to use my Iphone to interface with all these types of goodies so thought I would ask here how others get on with theirs.

Do you use bluetooth setups? like the Victron 75/15 MPPT charger foe example? Would you recommend it and why?

Many thanks
I have the victron, it is excellent with a very informative app. solid unit that I have had for 6 years with no issues.

I have the std victron 75/15 upgrade, works fine. The app gives me the info needed, if not more than I really care about. Generally for me it has been a fit and forget.

Victron 75/15. Have not needed to touch it since fitting it 2 years ago in the Jack compartment on our Beach. Fit & forget - Access via the App.

I like the look of the Victron app, however on the Apple Store people are suggesting that it won’t work on new iPhones due to needing to see a 6 digit code when pairing with Bluetooth. Anyone had this problem?

@Ch1pbutty @dspuk haha I get what you are saying, prob too much info than I need! In fact thinking about it perhaps I should just stick with the basic controller in the cupboard :D

I like the look of the Victron app, however on the Apple Store people are suggesting that it won’t work on new iPhones due to needing to see a 6 digit code when pairing with Bluetooth. Anyone had this problem?
Zero issues. I have a 14 Pro.

Zero issues. I have a 14 Pro.
There is a 6 digit PIN code, but the default code is mentioned right inside the app while connecting. I have changed it to a personal code, to avoid the possibility of a campsite neighbour messing with the charging settings.

there is a code. but starts at default 000000 which you can then change in the app

Had a Victron for a few years now, app gets regular updates and has always been solid and reliable.

Trying to reset my 000000 default code I get this screen? What is it? How foo I reset the code . Away camping and picking up a few victrons so want too stop anyone altering stuff

Screenshot_20230507-101814.jpg

So . First weekend on solar. 3 days parked. Got a steady 12v still but showing 30 %. My batteries tended to last better than that without the panel on. I know the percentage readings not accurate and to go on voltage. Thoughts?

20230507_191521.jpg

So . First weekend on solar. 3 days parked. Got a steady 12v still but showing 30 %. My batteries tended to last better than that without the panel on. I know the percentage readings not accurate and to go on voltage. Thoughts?

View attachment 108112
Better to check historical daily data using the Victron app. Will show you Max / min voltage + float period etc. Float % is when you are fully charged.

Hi there Mr Banana. The % won’t be an accurate reading as it’s measured in a devious manner which will become a meaningful reading once you start the engine/alternator.

View attachment 108112
Just a thought. The Solar Panel is connected to the rear battery. Depending on how it is connected, above or below the Cube Fuse, if connected below the cube fuse, which is quit fragile, the panel might be charging the rear leisure battery but if the cube fuse has failed then you are only running on the front Leisure battery which is not being charged by the solar panel.

Just a thought. The Solar Panel is connected to the rear battery. Depending on how it is connected, above or below the Cube Fuse, if connected below the cube fuse, which is quit fragile, the panel might be charging the rear leisure battery but if the cube fuse has failed then you are only running on the front Leisure battery which is not being charged by the solar panel.
Yes. I did worry about this. Bit I checked the cube and I had same voltage both sides of it. I connected where Roger suggested in his instructions. Loosen the positive and slot in the spade crimp. Then connect to negative. I was under the impression I would be better connected to the battery clamp bolt with the neg lead. But that's not how instructions tell you. The control panel v matches the v in the app though

Yes. I did worry about this. Bit I checked the cube and I had same voltage both sides of it. I connected where Roger suggested in his instructions. Loosen the positive and slot in the spade crimp. Then connect to negative. I was under the impression I would be better connected to the battery clamp bolt with the neg lead. But that's not how instructions tell you. The control panel v matches the v in the app though
The T6 and T5.1 are the same but the T6.1 has a Battery Monitoring module on each Leisure Battery so the -Tve Solar lead should be connected to the Battery Clamp bolt or another earth point so the Touch screen Control Panel can take account of the Solar Panel input.

is there another way of finding the 'puk' code without looking at the back of the mppt controller ? i've stuck it on with 3M tpe and its refusing to budge

is there another way of finding the 'puk' code without looking at the back of the mppt controller ? i've stuck it on with 3M tpe and its refusing to budge
Limited options really. The supplier that you purchased it from should be able to look up the device info available if they know how and are willing to help. Could try that next?

I stuck mine on with tape and screwed, and a change of phone needed that code. Thankfully tape came off but I feel your pain.

Back