Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2018 Beach 150 DSG 4Motion

The Ocean already has a load on board unlike the Beach.

Could be I guess.

Just for reference though, how big a difference in empty weight are we talking about? I haven't actually weighed mine, but the reg shows 2618kgs. Just using the configurator (which also shows 2618 for mine), an Ocean with the same options shows 2677kgs. It's only a difference of 59kgs. Which means the same difference as if I take my wife along or leave her behind, noise levels aside. In any case, doesn't really seem like much of a difference on ~3T in relation to the extra load an empty Ocean is carrying. Are these weight figures known to be close to reality or more like the MFD fuel economy 'alternative facts'?

So.. off to a banging start...

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

I managed to tear out a sidewall on a curb with some proud rebar sticking out of it while looking at the backup camera instead of the mirrors. 200km on the clock, and a new Conti-SportContact 5 had to be sourced... Feeling a bit of a numpty, but also feeling sympathy for my dad who recently cleaned off a wing mirror on his brand new car also gazing into the wonders of the backup cam. Cut us some slack... neither of us have ever had a car with a backup cam before!

IMG_0875-1.JPG

Last edited:
Could be I guess.

Just for reference though, how big a difference in empty weight are we talking about? I haven't actually weighed mine, but the reg shows 2618kgs. Just using the configurator (which also shows 2618 for mine), an Ocean with the same options shows 2677kgs. It's only a difference of 59kgs. Which means the same difference as if I take my wife along or leave her behind, noise levels aside. In any case, doesn't really seem like much of a difference on ~3T in relation to the extra load an empty Ocean is carrying. Are these weight figures known to be close to reality or more like the MFD fuel economy 'alternative facts'?
Possibly, but most people who own an Ocean are unlikely to totally empty it as they might a Beach, so gas canister, stuff in kitchen cupboard etc. I’m sure it all adds up and then of course the Beach has a larger volume of empty space compared with the Ocean so will sound different with its different acoustics etc.

So.. off to a banging start...

View attachment 32831

View attachment 32832

I managed to tear out a sidewall on a low curb with some proud rebar sticking out of it while looking at the backup camera instead of the mirrors. 200km on the clock, and a new Conti-SportContact 5 had to be sourced... Feeling a bit of a numpty, but also feeling sympathy for my dad who recently cleaned off a wing mirror on his brand new car also gazing into the wonders of the backup cam. Cut us some slack... neither of us have ever had a car with a backup cam before!

View attachment 32833

Better you did the tyre, rather than damage one of your very nice alloys!

Congratulations! Same colour as ours I think (Starlight Blue/Candy White)?

Wish we had those wheels available in the UK.

One thing might be worth getting is the black decal for the B pillar; ours (see below) came with it as standard but they are available from the club shop.

View attachment 32735

We love the wheels too and they are available via parts dept in the UK ...BUT about £2,500 for 4 (or £3,150 for mine as I have 5 alloys)...PLUS tyres. A bit eyewatering even though I could get something back for my as new Cascavel alloys and tyres. ;)

At that price I'll just imagine ours has got them when I'm sitting in it! :D

We love the wheels too and they are available via parts dept in the UK ...BUT about £2,500 for 4 (or £3,150 for mine as I have 5 alloys)...PLUS tyres. A bit eyewatering even though I could get something back for my as new Cascavel alloys and tyres. ;)

I paid this at VW Parts Colindale:

4 X Wheel Rims £1619.07
4 X Wheel Trims £422.21
Plus Tyres

Rolling radius of existing spare will be similar if not same enough to get you out of trouble but also have rac recovery

Last edited:
Rolling radius of existing spare will be similar if not same enough to get you out of trouble but also have rac recovery

The price you got your Retro's for is encouraging.
I currently have the 5 Cascavel alloys (17" with 235/55 R17 Bridgestone Turanza tyres) ordered from the factory.
The retro alloys are 18" so I don't think I could use a 17" as a spare so was going to sell my 5 alloys with tyres combined.
I have got AA cover so could probably get out of a puncture fix and that would mean only 4 new alloys and tyres to buy.
I was also thinking possibly of getting an 18" steel as a spare..what do you think?
Also, can you tell me Gazellio which tyres you have on your Retro's and what you think of them...did you get them from the dealer or somewhere like Kwik Fit?
Many thanks for the info

As I said above the 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels will all have similar rolling radius. Smaller the Wheel bigger the tyre wall to compensate. Your existing spare shkuld be fine.

As I said above the 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels will all have similar rolling radius. Smaller the Wheel bigger the tyre wall to compensate. Your existing spare shkuld be fine.

Ok thanks...that's something I didn't know.

What make and size of tyre have you got on your 18" Retro's

I have Bridgestone winter tyres on at present and am changing to summers ASAP. Not a lot of choice in the 18 inch size but will review later today....

Thanks again
I'm looking at 255/55 V 18 (109)...Continental at £157 or Pirelli Zero at £147...both Kwik Fit prices

I have Bridgestone winter tyres on at present and am changing to summers ASAP. Not a lot of choice in the 18 inch size but will review later today....

Mine from the factory are Continental 255/45R18 103H ContiSport-Contact5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a long and seemingly arduous wait, it has arrived!

View attachment 32713 View attachment 32714

We are pretty tickled with it and are itching to get a few bits and bobs sorted out so we can hit the road on a whim. I plan to use this thread to log the evolution as any mods get added as well as observations and any snags that come up.

One thing that jumped out at me, our comfort dash has a hole just above the lighter where some usb ports lived in the demo models. Strange they would put a cover there to plug the hole. The dealer reckons this is how they are delivered if you don't select the "comfort preparation" option. A bit half-assed if you ask me but it's a pretty small detail.

View attachment 32723

We took it for a day one tour which was more of a refresher test drive really. Funny how so many months between test drives and delivery makes it all really a bit of a surprise.

The ride is good, but more crashy/clunky than I remember from the demos. Mostly noticed with speed bumps. We never test drove any 18" wheels, and they must roughen the ride a bit. Anybody who has gone from 17" to 18" noticed this? I also spec'd the HD ARB's which seem to have done wonders for the rolly, wallowy feel I remember from test drives. Maybe this is a bit of a placebo effect since I paid for them and therefore expected good results, but my wife even commented on it through a round-about. Maybe they also are contributing to the crashy/clunky feel? I wouldn't have thought so.

Another surprise was how easy it is to remove the hubcaps. I haven't had a vehicle with hubcaps for years, and kind of assumed that a tool would be required to remove them. I might have to leave those at home if we visit Legoland, since at present there is no spare wheel so they may be nicked instead! Though, I doubt there is much of a market for them...
Love the caravelle whelks

So, continuing the wheel and tyre theme, todays purchase was the spare wheel carrier:

fullsizeoutput_442a.jpeg

My local dealer/parts guy was pretty sure it was a bad idea to install this on my bus. Highly sceptical comes to mind. Anyway, he tried to help and we selected what looked like what would be needed.

Parts:

7H0801903B - Angled Bracket - 1ea
701801651A - Hexagon Bolt - 1ea (90mm long one that clips in and stays)
701801651B - Hexagon Bolt - 1ea (58mm.) He was sure I wouldn't need this, I'm now sure that I do.
701801917C - Bush - 2ea
701801913 - Spacer Sleeve - 2ea

323863950 - Items 13 and 17 look like some sort of cushions in the diagram (no PNs shown on oemepc.com but the dealer had them) but arrived as a self adhesive rubber sheets:

fullsizeoutput_4430.jpeg
Not really sure what to do with these yet...

Also not sure yet if I'll need item 20:

7H0804473A - Rear Angled Bracket - Might already be installed...

I'll edit this to clean it up when I do the actual install. I know, there is a kit available in the shop but there is no parts list to show what is included. Shipping is a killer for us here on the continent so I have to put it together myself.

410801600.png

You should have the correct bracket for your size wheel (16 or 17”), the two bolts, two spacers (bushes?) and two rubber sleeves that go on the spacers; also a pin about 120mm long and about 3mm diameter. I can’t see the pin in your photos, and I don’t know what that grey rectangular thing is.

The bracket attaches to the matching hanger at the front of the spare wheel well using the pin, which is bent over then to stop it coming out.

Put the longer bolt with the collar into the left hand captive bolt, make sure the spacer and rubber sleeve are on first as once the collar goes through the opening it won’t come out again! Screw it in a few turns to take the weight of the wheel in the next step.

Slide the wheel up the hanger until it is in the correct position, then raise the carrier with the wheel on it until you can pass the bolt head through the “keyhole” in the bracket, then move it sideways so the head is then on the narrower slot part. The spacer should be above the keyhole. If the wheel is not in the correct position it won’t raise up enough to get the bolt head in the keyhole.

Screw it in a few turns until you can put the other shorter bolt in, then tighten them up. Now have a cup of tea and give your arms a rest! :thumb

also a pin about 120mm long and about 3mm diameter. I can’t see the pin in your photos, and I don’t know what that grey rectangular thing is.

The pin (item 12) is listed as "cancelled 01.01.2013" so I figured it was no longer needed. The grey rectangular thing is the number listed with item 13 and 17. I guess some kind of anti-vibration cushions? Though the number is the same, it looks nothing like the drawing...

Back