Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion or not?

I'm just glad the OP didn't ask whether to get Manual or DSG, keep a portapotti under the sink or fill up with a garden hose. Or is that his next question? :Grin
He could have thrown in his opinion on Brex*t for added contention!

For 9 years I had as my daily driver a Audi TT with most powerful engine they did & a Audi RS4, both with the Haldex 4WD & gizmos.

I grew to dislike them as even though the RS4 had 414 bhp it felt, far to sanitised.

Far more fun was a Morgan 3L V6 with NO driver aids at all.

When I bought my 5.1 in 2010 I wished that 4WD had been available, alas it was not and I had to get a FWD.

For me it’s obvious that with a vehicle like a heavy California, the 4WD has to be better and will give a feeling of better traction & security on the road. It’s a no brainier.

This is about rally cars, and makes an important distinction between true 4WD and 4motion-types. But it does cover some of the physics, in case any of you are interested. Debate if you’re keen, I’ll be staying out of it and hoping not to get any of my ordered Cali’s wheels stuck at 4mph in a far flung soggy field someday.

I bought a 180 dsg T5 kombi 4motion in 2013 because I thought i needed it. After 4 years of around town mileage in the low 20s and never feeling the effect of its mere 90/10 power split, I still thought I wanted a 4motion Cali. However the Cali we fell in love with and bought was 2wd...and do I miss 4motion: No!

On road 4 motion makes absolutely no difference over about 10 mph. Its good for increased traction pulling away on damp roads, once underway 3 tonnes is sufficient to keep it well planted, in its normal state only 10% of power is going to the rear, 10% of even 199hp isn't exactly a huge shove of power from the rear.

In snow its stopping that's the bigger problem not traction. A set of winter tyres on a FWD will get you further than 4WD on normal tyres.

On muddy fields it will have an advantage, but in the last ten years by using a bit of common sense, Ive never managed to get stuck.

If you don't intend off roading its a complete waste of money.

According to the 2014 brochure, a FWD 180DSG weighs in at 2512kg the 4motion version is a porky 2634 kg thats the same as carrying an extra 2 adults all the time. From the same brochure, the fuel consumption is 10% worse, the emissions are 10% higher. It accelerates slower, It costs more to buy, has a lower payload, it seats less people.

Perhaps the question should be why on earth would anyone actually pay more to have 4motion.

Thats my case for the defence for sticking with 2 wheel drive, I will now put on a tin helmet and dive for cover.
I would doubt that a 2WD would get off the mark as swiftly as a 4M, as many cars have found when trying to do just that.
An adult will generally weigh 80-90kgs fully clothed meaning 1 adult and 1 child.

equal tyre wear all round and generally a better driving experience
Not quiet just had to replace two fronts at 20,000 miles, rears possibly another 10,000 in them, fronts always went first in my Landrover as well.

Not quiet just had to replace two fronts at 20,000 miles, rears possibly another 10,000 in them, fronts always went first in my Landrover as well.
Interesting. After 20,000 miles my Michelins are within 0.4mm F to R and L to R. This has been the same over the preceeding 3 sets of tyres. Now on 87,000 miles. I tend to change at 3 mm tread or prior to my Norway trips. Only the original VW tyres needed changing under 20K miles but still consistent wear.

Not quiet just had to replace two fronts at 20,000 miles
Will add these were the original Bridgestones and was mainly the offside front which was the worst, anyway this is going OT, but love my 4mo all the same, been across a few muddy fields just lately no wheels spins no drama..

Not seeing any different wear rates between front and rear since tracking set correctly on my 4M

If I could add my 2 cents... On additional cornering safety benefit of 4wd vs 2wd: the question is , will an additional (rear) drive axle add traction while cornering, helping the (heavy)vehicle better stay on the road when it rains for example ?
Simple test, easy to perform with any car: on a slippery road or with rain, would you drive through a corner with the clutch released or engaged? Obviously you want the motor to be connected to the wheels for better traction to avoid under/oversteering.
From this I would assume having 2 drive axles should be safer than just one, all the rest being equal, I think.

Seems that way, all Calis are great but have there limitations or are a compromise pay you dosh take your choice.

When asking what are the best options: those who have a 2wd are happy, and those who have a 4wd too.
Those who have a 150 hp are satisfied, those who have 204 hp too.
For the choice between DSG and manual gearbox, all are satisfied.
Between Beach and Ocean: the same.
The only ones who have some regrets are those who would have liked to have, but who found the options too expensive.
Morality 1:make your own choices according to your budget and you will be happy. Your choices will be the good one if they are your own choices.
Morality 2: All California are wonderful cars.

When asking what are the best options: those who have a 2wd are happy, and those who have a 4wd too.
Those who have a 150 hp are satisfied, those who have 204 hp too.
For the choice between DSG and manual gearbox, all are satisfied.
Between Beach and Ocean: the same.
The only ones who have some regrets are those who would have liked to have, but who found the options too expensive.
Morality 1:make your own choices according to your budget and you will be happy. Your choices will be the good one if they are your own choices.
Morality 2: All California are wonderful cars.

Well said dude.

Trying to work out whether it is worth the extra to get 4 wd.
I appreciate there are many views but if it was a free choice is it really worth it?
Hi @Dipps i would like to give you my experience.
(It’s just MO as you can see from the replies if you have 4motion you like it and if you don’t then you don’t miss it.)
Personally this is my first vehicle with 4 wheel drive capability- I’ve driven for 35 years and never missed 4 wheel drive.
So why did I spec it on my Cali?
This is purely personal and subjective
1) as they cost so much I’m probably only going to order one Cali from new - therefore I wanted my ideal spec. I didn’t want any regrets as I’d been saving and planning my purchase for a number of years.
2) for a heavy vehicle (yes I know4motion exacerbates this) 4 motion made sense when driving in heavy rain, on muddy fields etc to me any ways.
3) as @GrannyJen says it’s the peace of mind factor.

So IMHO if you can afford it- go for it.
If your budget is tight then (and if you fit 4season tyres) then you can live with out it.
Enjoy deciding as choosing spec and ordering is a very enjoyable part of the experience
:) :thumb

We have a 4 motion. It was good to have twice in 2 years of ownership...once on a very slippery grassy slope at Durdle door campsite, the other in February in the Lake District in the snowy icy weather.

On balance I would not get it again as I would rather spend the money on better lights. It hammers the fuel economy and you have to be more careful how much extra weight you can take on long trips.

It improves handling...but suspension lowering and anti roll bar upgrades does more for that...it’s a Campervan after all. And a spare set of winter wheels.

On balance better without unless you are really really going to go to the mountains in winter....

You have to make you own decision but do be honest with yourself as to what you are likely to use the van for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had a 4m, and now having a 2wd, I can say that (disregarding cost) the 4m is better system.

I don’t think the additional option of 4m option is expensive compared to things like Dynaudio at £1800 or LED headlights at some ridiculous cost. But there are additional costs such as VED, fuel consumption and servicing to bear in mind.

Why did I go from 4 to 2wd? The new one was a prettier colour! And available immediately. And we got a good deal Those are as good reasons as any.

Having now done 10k in our latest Cali, I haven’t really missed the 4m and I think the mouse would be hovering indecisively over the tick box were I to order one from scratch!

Having had a 4m, and now having a 2wd, I can say that (disregarding cost) the 4m is better system.

I don’t think the additional option of 4m option is expensive compared to things like Dynaudio at £1800 or LED headlights at some ridiculous cost. But there are additional costs such as VED, fuel consumption and servicing to bear in mind.

Why did I go from 4 to 2wd? The new one was a prettier colour! And available immediately. And we got a good deal Those are as good reasons as any.

Having now done 10k in our latest Cali, I haven’t really missed the 4m and I think the mouse would be hovering indecisively over the tick box were I to order one from scratch!

Isn't this done. Not meaning to be argumentative, if the 4m is so important you would have chosen this over colour.

Isn't this done. Not meaning to be argumentative, if the 4m is so important you would have chosen this over colour.
It’s not important (to me). It is nice to have that feeling of confidence if you’re contemplating going on a wet camp field though! :Nailbiting