Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion or not?

It is not always possible to know if the 4motion has been useful to you since its operation is automatic and there is no light to show it. What I know is that with my previous vehicles it would have been very useful to me several times.

Trying to work out whether it is worth the extra to get 4 wd.
I appreciate there are many views but if it was a free choice is it really worth it?
I enjoy traveling on my own and going off the beaten path. So I wanted the most capable vehicle I could specify. So I went for 4Motion to get me into places like this:

CD9E4CEB-F7C4-4552-AD58-ADE9A99DE571.png

And a difflock to get me back out

I was lucky when I ordered mine. You could get a 150 manual with 4Motion. It wasn’t a significant additional spend for a more capable vehicle. Now, however it seems 4Motion only comes with the 199 and DSG and when you compare that to a 150 manual FWD it is a big increase in spend. For what I paid, it is worth it to me.

I've forgot who the original poster was now. Anyway if cost were no option then it's a no brainer isn't it.? If you're not bothered about the initial cost you're not bothered about mpg or higher maintenance costs. So yes. Get it. Me I've got just 2wd and never got stuck.even in mud at Harewood House recently. I do carry some grip matts just in case.
I think FB came closest to answering the OP. If it was a no cost option (or if money was no object) would you specify it?
Yes. Does that mean 2WD is a lower class van? No. It’s just different. In the same way that a Beach is not a lower class than an Ocean. It’s just different. Different specifications to suit different needs and circumstances. First world problems really. We are lucky that we have: a.The choice and b. The wherewithal to own any campervan for our leisure pursuits.

i would love 4motion in theory, but i needed a fifth seat, and i do rather like the very low fuel consumption of the 2WD (i've just done my first every road trip in it, and over 3000km it's getting around 40mpg).

I'm very happy with the handling and would only really like 4motion for going to hidden places, up funny tracks etc, but i think i can mostly do this with mine anyway, but then clearance is a key issue too, not just traction.

I guess if one wanted to get adventurous you could consider the following alternatives to 4motion:

- raise the suspension
- off road tires
- a winch

i suspect most 'situations' could be handled with just some mats to be honest, or maybe even some snow chains.

The OP asked "if 4M was a free choice". I believe it would be hard to find a reason why 2WD would be better than 4M.
I can only see it if somebody needs a 5th seat. As per additional fuel consumption, if, like in many suggestions here, we end up driving Allweather tires in a 2WD to have the additional traction, those tires increase also the fuel consumption, especially 235 instead of 215 width. That would completely nullify the fuel consumption advantage of 2wd vs 4wd. And if there is a difference, how many £££ really ? A few quids a month ?
To say 2WD is better than 4WD is like saying 150Ps is better than 199PS. If it was free wouldn't you take the 199PS engine instead of 150PS ?

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing, I wonder what percentage of California's manage perfectly well with 2WD, their owners regarding their near 3 tonne vehicles well and truly planted on the road up hill and down dale.
Your money your choice, a decent test drive or even better hire both for a few days to confirm what suits you best.
So your choice of 2WD isn’t confirmation bias

My avatar pic probably explains my choice. :) I have the 4Motion and very happy about it - especially during the winter on snow and ice. In the Alps even main roads are snowy and slippery too often. But also in other seasons the 4M makes a big difference (on steep gravel forest roads, for example).
And there is no economic perspective on buying the Cali in first place so any other financial considerations are less important, I think.

We went for it and with the diff lock too. It’s been great for getting into out of the way pitches in Scotland. Wouldn’t attempt some if these tracks just with 2WD. It’ll give you more freedom.

C5A53472-7563-4084-9AF1-CB4FFDFE6BAA.jpegC63F93ED-D8FD-43C0-BD0C-1772655551D9.jpeg

Waste of money. Unless of course you plan to do some green laning . Why bother with it when the only bit of turf you are likely to encounter is the bit that you drive over in order to access your hardstanding.

Now, however it seems 4Motion only comes with the 199 and DSG and when you compare that to a 150 manual FWD it is a big increase in spend. For what I paid, it is worth it to me.
That's a dirty VW UK trick. In Europe you can have 4MO DSG with the 150 engine. I have one. It's a Coast, another choice you don't have in the UK.

Waste of money. Unless of course you plan to do some green laning . Why bother with it when the only bit of turf you are likely to encounter is the bit that you drive over in order to access your hardstanding.
That’s the beauty of having it - you don’t have to just head to hardstandings. There’s a world of interesting places out there. It gives a lot of flexibility given you might not know where and when you might need it.

So your choice of 2WD isn’t confirmation bias
Nah, my van was a cancelled order, great price and available within weeks, needed the 5th seat so the 10% drive on the back wheels had to be avoided.
I am completely relaxed about other peoples choices and if I wanted to go off-road or visit Iceland would change happily.

To say 2WD is better than 4WD is like saying 150Ps is better than 199PS. If it was free wouldn't you take the 199PS engine instead of 150PS ?
To be honest, if 4WD was a free upgrade I would say yes to it but to answer your? I would stick with a 150 over 199.

That’s the beauty of having it - you don’t have to just head to hardstandings. There’s a world of interesting places out there. It gives a lot of flexibility given you might not know where and when you might need it.
IMHO there are enough options to drain peoples wealth when purchasing a new Cali without trying to turn it into a tractor!!

Worth a read when time and interest permits...

I live in Norway and have travelled all over even in the middle of winter. Only once have I really thought ‘I really wish i had 4wd’ and that was in early winter on a very steep single track road without enough snow for chains. That said, a couple of others I know out here do have it and use it regularly.

I used a Cali 4 motion for touring in Scotland and after driving in a few blizzards really rated the additional traction from 4wd. Would be good if you plan to go to places that are a bit further of the beaten track otherwise recon 2wd is fine.

Interesting that those who have only had a 2WD would accuse welshgas of being biased. He has had both, therefore offers a balanced opinion. We have also had both and have to agree that 4 motion is superior. All those suggesting adding load to make a car feel more stable need to try it on theirs! Lowering suspension makes it less capable. Many roads would be unsuitable.

You asked for some advice and unfortunately people have given you emotional feedback. If price is not an issue, then you should really go for 4 motion.

I have owned both and I have to say 4 motion is superb and a much better planted drive. To be honest fuel economy is not much different. But what you want and enjoy !

I appreciate there are many views but if it was a free choice is it really worth it?

We drive a 4 motion T5 Cali, we brought ours second hand, and I did not realise that it was a 4 motion.. however, sofar we only benefit this option during the winter, visiting Germany ... basically imho there is no need for this option, it is a add on in weight, add on in service costs.
If I ever buy a new Cali which I doubt it will not be an 4 motion... unless I intending to go off road. Which I doubt as well..

Regards...
Frans...

I went through exactly these considerations a year ago. I was advised (on this site I think?) that the weight of the Cali with wet-weather tyres obviates the need for 4-motion. In fact, as experience at home with a steep drive in snow and in the Alps in winter taught me, this is not correct - I got stuck and needed chains as well. That said, with the additional costs added to the fact that most of the time 2WD is good enough I don’t regret my decision although I am very, very glad I paid extra for the 204DSG with adaptive cruise control. I agree with another post here that the 4WD gives that ‘go anywhere’ feeling if you can justify the additional costs and that will be a personal decision.

The extra cost to have 4wd is less than the extra cost to have 198 hp (ex 204 hp) instead of 150 hp.
The 150hp will always go where the 198hp will pass.
The 2wd will not always pass where the 4 wd will pass.
And the 198 hp will consume more than the 150 hp.
Justifying the 2wd for reasons of economy does not make sense in this reasoning.

I really don’t get these types of debates. I wonder if, somewhere, there is a Rolls Royce club where they argue the merits of Ghost vs Phantom or saloon vs drop-head? I have £20k’s worth of 214 BHP Superbike that spends 90% of its life locked in my garage. For 90% of the remaining 10% I could do exactly the same things on a bike with half the power and at less than 25% of the price. But that final one percent is very special. Does that make any kind of financial sense? No. Of course not. I should sell the bike and the van and invest in a sensible retirement plan. But, you know.what? I might be dead tomorrow. Spend your money exactly how you choose. As long as you can justify it to yourself, enjoy it. Now where did I put the bike keys...

I got 4motion. Because I wanted it. Best decision I ever made. In the snow with winter tyres it is awesome. Up steep slopes with switchbacks in the Alps its awesome. My heavy 2WD works Transporters spins its wheels when pulling away from a junction, never had that with Albert. If you want it get it. I went slightly older 2nd hand to afford it.

I got 4motion. Because I wanted it. Best decision I ever made. In the snow with winter tyres it is awesome. Up steep slopes with switchbacks in the Alps its awesome. My heavy 2WD works Transporters spins its wheels when pulling away from a junction, never had that with Albert. If you want it get it. I went slightly older 2nd hand to afford it.

and ... I do hope Albert is behaving himself! :shocked