Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue - where are fellow T6 owners getting topped up

Hi Loz.

Thank you for your reply, what prompted my question was on a previous post, in
One of the photos it shows 3500 miles left but also shows 1.5 gals to top up.
Will just have to wait and see what happens when do more mileage.

Alan.

Hi Loz.

Thank you for your reply, what prompted my question was on a previous post, in
One of the photos it shows 3500 miles left but also shows 1.5 gals to top up.
Will just have to wait and see what happens when do more mileage.

Alan.
After you fill it looks like this and no tops up are allowed;
IMG_1671.jpeg

Once you have consumed adblue and dropped below the minimum fill amount it changes to this.
IMG_4198.jpg

Then you can fill up but only the up to the maximum amount.
tip: Change the display to litres temporilly.

Anyone know of an adblue pump in or near Edinburgh? I have tried Google maps but the two filling stations listed with pumps do not actually have one.

I have read part of the thread which is 14 pages long so I did a search with no result. I am simply asking a question.
The essence of this topic is that it's playing Russian roulette filling from the pump because if you overfill past the maximum shown on the display, you risk a fault that the dealer will need to rectify.

The essence of this topic is that it's playing Russian roulette filling from the pump because if you overfill past the maximum shown on the display, you risk a fault that the dealer will need to rectify.
Thank you. The display says 2.5 to 2.75 gallons are required, surely that can't be difficult to judge - once it is converted into litres?

Tom

Thank you. The display says 2.5 to 2.75 gallons are required, surely that can't be difficult to judge - once it is converted into litres?

Tom
Yes, 12litres should do it, just don't keep going until the handle clicks.
I tend to wait until it needs 10 litres and just but a 10L can from the garage or 2x5L from Tesco if its on offer and delivered with the shopping.

I found this one......you may want to ask them before pulling up.

Anyone know of an adblue pump in or near Edinburgh? I have tried Google maps but the two filling stations listed with pumps do not actually have one.

I seem to need 9 litres when I decide to fill up.

I then buy the 10l adblu from Halfords and play a fun game called “adblu stick or fill” guessing how much adblu has gone in and what’s left before I’ve made a massive mistake....!!!
All good fun :thumb

So far so good.

I seem to need 9 litres when I decide to fill up.

I then buy the 10l adblu from Halfords and play a fun game called “adblu stick or fill” guessing how much adblu has gone in and what’s left before I’ve made a massive mistake....!!!
All good fun :thumb

So far so good.

Which is why I still prefer the pump.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

I found this one......you may want to ask them before pulling up.

[/QUOTE

Cheers Jason, just called them and okay with vans filling up but pumps out of order! Admittedly this is my first fill up but it is proving somewhat stressful!

Tom

Cheers Jason, just called them and okay with vans filling up but pumps out of order! Admittedly this is my first fill up but it is proving somewhat stressful!

Tom

It doesn’t need to be stressful.

Buy a container of AdBlue at the petrol station. Fill adblue tank. Be sensible and don’t fill it so it’s running down the side of the van.

Start and drive away! Repeat after a few thousand miles.

The last two refills of AdBlue I have made from the pump, the pump has cut out very close to the recommended maximum. I'm pretty confident that this is by design rather than accident, but it is wise to convert the MFD recommended maximum from gallons to litres and keep an eye on the amount you are refilling.

The last two refills of AdBlue I have made from the pump, the pump has cut out very close to the recommended maximum. I'm pretty confident that this is by design rather than accident, but it is wise to convert the MFD recommended maximum from gallons to litres and keep an eye on the amount you are refilling.
Does the Adblue pump not have a visible meter?

Tom

Tom
Hi Tom! I use the Shell at Dreghorn. And yes the pump has a meter. You need to go in first and leave your debit card before you can use it. I've always waited untill the van says max fill 2.25 gallons and then put in 9 litres. I've never been brave enough to see if it cuts off automatically when full!

Edit: Just read your post where you say their pump is broken. They've got 2 pumps but I guess both broken. I've also used the BP at Stirling services when passing.

Last edited:
Aldi its usually on offer. I buy it in 10L containers as I also have a Caddy with euro 6 as my daily drive for work.

All AdBlue pumps I have used have had visible metres, and I have only ever used pumps. All those visible metres have been in litres, not gallons.

What I suggest is converting the max refill figure into litres, filling until the pump clicks out, but just keeping a eye on the meter in case it fills over the maximum.

My last four AdBlue refills have been €0.50 per litre; €0.35 per litre; 72p per litre; 75p per litre and 60p per litre.

Filling AdBlue at the pump is no more difficult that filling diesel. I really do not understand why so many use expensive bottles to refill when nearly every motorway service station, and a great many trunk road service stations, will have an AdBlue pump located at the truck filling area.

Hi Tom! I use the Shell at Dreghorn. And yes the pump has a meter. You need to go in first and leave your debit card before you can use it. I've always waited untill the van says max fill 2.25 gallons and then put in 9 litres. I've never been brave enough to see if it cuts off automatically when full!

Edit: Just read your post where you say their pump is broken. They've got 2 pumps but I guess both broken. I've also used the BP at Stirling services when passing.
Stuart, on my way to Glen Finglas today with Dwayne so will try Stirling. Must catch up soon.

Tom

All AdBlue pumps I have used have had visible metres, and I have only ever used pumps. All those visible metres have been in litres, not gallons.

What I suggest is converting the max refill figure into litres, filling until the pump clicks out, but just keeping a eye on the meter in case it fills over the maximum.

My last four AdBlue refills have been €0.50 per litre; €0.35 per litre; 72p per litre; 75p per litre and 60p per litre.

Filling AdBlue at the pump is no more difficult that filling diesel. I really do not understand why so many use expensive bottles to refill when nearly every motorway service station, and a great many trunk road service stations, will have an AdBlue pump located at the truck filling area.
Thanks Amarillo, I thought that would be the case though I will watch the meter rather than trusting the auto fill now! I also did not realise that one could top it up earlier, time for me to RTFM though quite how a thread gets to 15 pages on such a simple topic...........

Tom the reassured

Thanks Amarillo, I thought that would be the case though I will watch the meter rather than trusting the auto fill now! I also did not realise that one could top it up earlier, time for me to RTFM though quite how a thread gets to 15 pages on such a simple topic...........

Tom the reassured
If you haven't read the manual, them also remember to turn on the ignition and wait 30 seconds before starting so that the new level can be read and reset.

Waiting for the pump to click off seems a risky method as in theory the Adblue will be overfilled as it is up the inlet pipe leaving no top surface for the sensor to detect. Depending on how sensitive the cut out is.
Anyone that's been drenched by fuel when it fails will understand the risk of relying on it to operate.

I used to use pumps but now have gone to containers as I can top up before a trip at my leisure and not have any concerns about filling points, only put part of container in if not certain that 10ltrs is too much and check display which doesn't update as you fill but needs the ignition on - wait - read new range etc process.
Never will do 4,500+ miles in one trip. Last top up gave 5,000mls. Pump top ups went to 6,500mls

Price difference between pumps and containers is only a cup of coffee per fill up, think I can handle the lack of caffeine.:rage

Waiting for the pump to click off seems a risky method as in theory the Adblue will be overfilled as it is up the inlet pipe leaving no top surface for the sensor to detect. Depending on how sensitive the cut out is.
Anyone that's been drenched by fuel when it fails will understand the risk of relying on it to operate.
I don't see it as any more risky than waiting for the pump to cut out when filling diesel. I am of the opinion that diesel pumps are generally well maintained and expect the same of AdBlue pumps. Nevertheless checking, knowing the available capacity of the tank in both cases and checking this with the meter cannot do any harm.
Price difference between pumps and containers is only a cup of coffee per fill up, think I can handle the lack of caffeine
I agree that the cost is negligible. It is the ease of refilling which draws me to the pumps more than the cost, but an extra coffee is always welcome.

I don't see it as any more risky than waiting for the pump to cut out when filling diesel. I am of the opinion that diesel pumps are generally well maintained and expect the same of AdBlue pumps. Nevertheless checking, knowing the available capacity of the tank in both cases and checking this with the meter cannot do any harm.
Main issue is relating to overfilling risk and consequent cost possibly incurred not to mention the potential time lost when possibly enroute or on holiday.
Nothing is 100% risk free from failures, fuel and Adblue pumps being no exception.

I don't quite follow your checking the meter but waiting for the cutout to operate logic.

I'll stick to reducing the risk as advised.

Back