Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are the LED option headlights worth £1750?

Are the upgrade LED headlights option worth £1750?

• Yes

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Dont know

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters
I havent read everything but I recall a friend commenting that the LEDs had one major issue in cold weather that being they dont get hot. This was an issue in depth of winter as ice tc just built up on the lense giving him real vision issues.
Anyone else experienced this ? LED nice but not for me even at half that price.

I’ve had a similar problem in the alps. My old Xenons would get warm and melt the snow / ice that had built up when parked at 1500 metres for a few days. Now it’s a case of scraping at it with a brush (carefully). I think SOME heat does radiate eventually and you don’t need much to release the ice from the lens. Just takes much longer.

I think driving in heavy snow in freezing conditions will still build up on these and even conventional lights sometimes unless you’ve a wiper system. My Touareg tended to build up slush from the bottom of the light where it sat on the bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve had a similar problem in the alps. My old Xenons would get warm and melt the snow / ice that had built up when parked at 1500 metres for a few days. Now it’s a case of scraping at it with a brush (carefully). I think SOME heat does radiate eventually and you don’t need much to release the ice from the lens. Just takes much longer.

I think driving in heavy snow in freezing conditions will still build up on these and even conventional lights sometimes unless you’ve a wiper system. My Touareg tended to build up slush from the bottom of the light where it sat on the bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I sold my 2016 Ocean 150 DSG and got a new Ocean 204 DSG 4 motion. The previous one was an ex demo from Robinson’s of Peterborough so I didn’t spec it. The new one has LED headlights and what a difference. I had upgraded the H7s on the previous one to GE +130s and that was a great improvement but not nearly as good as LEDs.

its a huge marketing ploy. Companies release certain models with all the gadgets and jewellery, other people see these and want them, they then make loads of cash from selling parts further down the line. Oldest trick in the book.

Price is now down to £1560. Im speccing a new cali as we speak. Still going to leave though.

Price is now down to £1560. Im speccing a new cali as we speak. Still going to leave though.
Thats on a ocean, its £1750 for a beach but have no idea at all why vw charge more for beach buyers?

Not All owners think they are the best thing since sliced bread. See T6 Forum.

I have them & rate them very highly. They're the best highlights that I've had on any car.

Xenons are good on our Touareg, but these LEDs are fantastic at night (I avoid night driving when I can).
The DRLs are a nice touch.

Once you have had LEDs there is no way you would go back to old fashioned bulbs, I may be in the minority but I would pay the extra again for them just for the added safety (and they look cool)

I have noticed you can actually get official led DRLs for £450 fitted from VW in the grill/ bumper. There only small but look super bright.
Screenshot_20180803-211311_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180803-211115_Chrome.jpg

Or these look even better as a retrofit, i have now idea how much these are?!

Thats on a ocean, its £1750 for a beach but have no idea at all why vw charge more for beach buyers?
Probably due to the fact that the Ocean has H7 lights as standard and the Beach only has H4 lights, meaning that VW feel the uplift should be more on the Beach?

The Beach is an upgrade from H4s

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Still naughty of vw, its not as if you get H7s as well as spares, they're just replacing headlights whether there h4s or h7s, its all the same wiring and no more work and YOU dont get foglights with a beach if you opt for leds, thats an additional £350 ish option and oceans keep the foglights so its a £2.1k option if you want foglights and LEDs on the beach like the ocean, yet the ocean get the same for £1.5k :punch

Still naughty of vw, its not as if you get H7s as well as spares, they're just replacing headlights whether there h4s or h7s, its all the same wiring and no more work and YOU dont get foglights with a beach if you opt for leds, thats an additional £350 ish option and oceans keep the foglights so its a £2.1k option if you want foglights and LEDs on the beach like the ocean, yet the ocean get the same for £1.5k :punch
I don't see it that way.

Assume:
LEDs cost £2000
H7s cost £440
and H4s cost £250

Then:
LEDs - H7s = £1560
LEDs - H4s = £1750

Just got a new Ocean. Dark this morning when I left for work and the LED headlights are excellent.

I have the LEDs on my Golf, I wish I had them on my Cali as they genuinely make driving safer in the dark.

I don't see it that way.

Assume:
LEDs cost £2000
H7s cost £440
and H4s cost £250

Then:
LEDs - H7s = £1560
LEDs - H4s = £1750
Fair point, but MOST options on the beach cost much more than the Ocean? Eg, 6.33 radio uograde, £450 beach, £186 ocean?

Fair point, but MOST options on the beach cost much more than the Ocean? Eg, 6.33 radio uograde, £450 beach, £186 ocean?
Only a handful, and all except the radio have an easily identifiable reason:
e.g. Electric sliding door on Beach £432, Ocean £318 BUT the Ocean comes with sliding door power latching as standard.

Im starting waiver on getting LED,s mainly from a resale viewpoint. Do you think i would recover the cost at resale time ?

I’d say definitely not....I think for some people they will be a bonus and others a negative.you wouldn’t get £1700 pounds more because the van you’re selling has led lights .spec is a personal thing

I would fit to an ocean so a bit cheaper but i take your point. Its just that 60% say they would pay for it. I guess not the same as saying they wouldnt buy a used one without it.

People that have payed for led lights will want to justify paying 1700 but people that haven’t won’t bother,, I like them ...not sure I’d want a out of warranty 4 yr old van with them...I have owned camper vans for 30 years to me campervans are all about being in a field having a beer.enjoying the outdoors oh and also having something that looks good on the eye too stare at while doing it

I think a lot depends on what you are used to
We bought a demo van which had LED lights, They are lovely, I probably wouldn't have paid 1700 extra if specifying a van but now I'm used to them I think I would find it very hard to go back to halogen lights.
Bit like colour tv versus black and white

Back