Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are the LED option headlights worth £1750?

Are the upgrade LED headlights option worth £1750?

• Yes

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Dont know

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters
campervans are all about being in a field having a beer.enjoying the outdoors oh and also having something that looks good on the eye too stare at while doing it
Nudge nudge ;) ;)!

Fair point, but MOST options on the beach cost much more than the Ocean? Eg, 6.33 radio uograde, £450 beach, £186 ocean?

Although there does seem to be an extra £100 premium in there for no obvious reason. The retail unit cost between the H4 and H7 unit is £50 and the wiring is the same.

As someone looking at buying their first Beach, it does seem a shame that VW treat it as lower spec than the Ocean so fit it as standard with h4 lights etc, but I guess that is just how they wish to market it.

The advice received on here to specify the exterior pack seemed like the best way to go for us, but after a night drive last week I am not so sure....

On the A303 in the early hours a T6 transporter with LEDs was behind my car, and the dark road in front of me lit up, with just a dimmer car shaped section (me!) in the middle. He was on dipped lights, if a bit close, but the difference was really surprising. I think it gives a real improvement in visibility on dark country roads.

Back to pondering whether we can afford them , but I am still not convinced the option price is good value!

As someone looking at buying their first Beach, it does seem a shame that VW treat it as lower spec than the Ocean so fit it as standard with h4 lights etc, but I guess that is just how they wish to market it.

The advice received on here to specify the exterior pack seemed like the best way to go for us, but after a night drive last week I am not so sure....

On the A303 in the early hours a T6 transporter with LEDs was behind my car, and the dark road in front of me lit up, with just a dimmer car shaped section (me!) in the middle. He was on dipped lights, if a bit close, but the difference was really surprising. I think it gives a real improvement in visibility on dark country roads.

Back to pondering whether we can afford them , but I am still not convinced the option price is good value!
T
There £1752 for 2 headlights, thats £876 per one light and 4% of the whole vehicle price. Under no circumstances is that any way near good value and a massive mark up for VW. Imagine having a cali in your drive with 'normal lights' and you had £1752 in you pocket. Would you pop down to vw and give them your hard earned cash for two lights, or go on a brill holiday/ adventure instead! Im choosing a brill holiday instead :thumb

Prices are high because they are so popular. Lots of people wanting them so they will keep the price up.
I need some LED DRLs and xenons for my mk6 GTD. Anybody got any!!?? :embarrased

Prices are high because they are so popular. Lots of people wanting them so they will keep the price up.
I need some LED DRLs and xenons for my mk6 GTD. Anybody got any!!?? :embarrased
If VW can charge £1752 for two headlights and people pay it, well done on VW!

Went for the stock ocean headlights in the end. Good enough for me as low user and thinking led bulbs will likely catch up and wouldnt get £1500 at resale.

Why do so many people worry about resale, I purchased an LED torch last week instead of a standard bulb one and did not think once about resale and not very happy for people to say I am gulable to buy LEDs. I could afford them so I purchased them. The same reason I purchased a pair of Raybans the other day instead of some £2 Primark ones.

Worrying about resale is how I can afford a new california rather than an old one amongst other things. I suspect your LED torch and raybans didnt cost £1500 a piece. Do you really not care about resale if not your either loaded or not fully loaded. Oh my torch is LED btw ;)

Im starting waiver on getting LED,s mainly from a resale viewpoint. Do you think i would recover the cost at resale time ?
No. You rarely get extra for options. It might make the vehicle more desirable.

I don't have the LED's but I would love to have them having seen the difference of being side by side another Cali that did have them, the difference is MASSIVE!! and I can see why people say they make driving safer especially on unlit roads.

I like LED's because they are so bright: It means I don't have to take my sunglasses of at night time :shocked

Im starting waiver on getting LED,s mainly from a resale viewpoint. Do you think i would recover the cost at resale time ?

No but your opening up the market. If someone is viewing two identical vans but one has the LEDs, then if it were me I would go for the LED fitted one.

I agree it would for many people although for four reasons I would be wary of it on a used cali. Some folk may share my view

1/ Cost to repair
2/ Risk of them being stolen - applies whatever the age.
3/ The issue with iceing up which happens with LED and a friend who had LED,s on his Seat said he wouldnt again for this reason alone. How long before heaters get installed into LED headlamps.
4/ Annoys other road users evidently

I agree it would for many people although for four reasons I would be wary of it on a used cali. Some folk may share my view

1/ Cost to repair
3/ The issue with iceing up which happens with LED and a friend who had LED,s on his Seat said he wouldnt again for this reason alone. How long before heaters get installed into LED headlamps.

Whatever suits you, talk yourself in or out, personal choice TBH, we have had both now and know which one I prefer.

Yes I worked it out. Just needs to be a balanced view and in your case the benefits outweigh the downsides which I can understand.

1/ Cost to repair
Being stolen will be fine, you have to take thr whole bumper off to take the headlights out so massive job jist to get some lights. In regards to resale, If newish, a few years old, then maube, but at resale after say 5 years, some buyrrs could be weary of the life of thrm, and no, it will NEVER add anyway near £1750 to the resale value. There are many more options a cali buyer would look for first.

We
Being stolen will be fine, you have to take thr whole bumper off to take the headlights out so massive job jist to get some lights. In regards to resale, If newish, a few years old, then maube, but at resale after say 5 years, some buyrrs could be weary of the life of thrm, and no, it will NEVER add anyway near £1750 to the resale value. There are many more options a cali buyer would look for first.
are all differant

Agree re the being stolen argument, and also getting back what they cost, but to me they just look cool so I went for them. I don't drive at night much I just like the look, if I were buying again I would order them.

When I do drive at night which mostly means navigating a very dark single track road for one and a half miles home they are far far better than the ones we had on the T5 Cali.

I may be wrong but the cost also includes the washers and rear LED lights ?

To me they would be at the top of the extras list along with the removable tow bar for our bike rack this allows a tailgate spoiler to be fitted which is also cool looking in my personal opinion.

Other people want heated windscreens or ACC, I think they are a waste of money, but my opinion that's what makes us all different nether right or wrong.

Yes I may be part of the problem, if we stopped ordering them then VW might fit them as standard but until then people are going to order them.

Im afraid they do not steal them that way unless they take the whole vehicle. Recently a friends son parked his s line a3 down a cul de sac to watch a match in manchester something he did regularly so no doubt a mistake.
When he came back the front end had been cut off with battery powered grinders basically part of the wings, whole bumper, headlights and wiring looms the lot. they were after the bumper and headlights. They then cut out the door mirrors out the doors the same way. Car never moved he was heartbroken and none of us had seen anything like it.

Do LEDs attract more bugs at this time of year, being a whiter light? I drove a couple of nights ago with normal lights, it sounded like it was raining with all the bug hits.

No. You rarely get extra for options. It might make the vehicle more desirable.
Some options would actually put me off especially if it was out of warranty. Waiting for my Xenons and powered sliding door to play up!

Im afraid they do not steal them that way unless they take the whole vehicle. Recently a friends son parked his s line a3 down a cul de sac to watch a match in manchester something he did regularly so no doubt a mistake.
When he came back the front end had been cut off with battery powered grinders basically part of the wings, whole bumper, headlights and wiring looms the lot. they were after the bumper and headlights. They then cut out the door mirrors out the doors the same way. Car never moved he was heartbroken and none of us had seen anything like it.

:rage

Back