Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AT tyres for 4Motion

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
HI all,

After 40.000km time to first tyres change is arriving for my T5 Cali Beach 4Motion (Probably next month), so it's time to browse the market to tell which ones will get.

My current tyres are 235/55 R17 103V

I'd like to get something more off-road than what I'm have now, preferentially with the snow flake symbol. The one I like more so far is the BF Goodrich AT KO2 but sizes don't match too much. The one more close is 225/65 R17 107S, which I think it could fit well

What you think/suggest?

The 225/65 R17 is more than 3 cm bigger (diameter), but around 1cm more narrow. That's the most near to the OEM ones I've got. Other 17" BF AT KO2 are too big in my opinion.

On the another hand, speed rate is S, 180 Km/h, enought for me :)

Prepare for a hit on fuel economy.
I find that Goodyear 4 Seasons Cargo Vector give good grip, are quiet, good wearing characteristics and have the Snowflake symbol.
Beware that AT tyres don't always give good grip at motorway speeds.
Your choice of course.

Don't forget the spare. 4Motion can be very unforgiving unless tyre sizes are very, very close.

Nothing is perfect, by having a 4Motion you're choosing to have a little higer fuel consuption, by having mode grip out of the tarmac you will have a little more.

What I've read about BF Goodrich AT KO2 is. ot bad for motorway, bearing in mind we got no a McLaren. Actually they are S rated, 180km/h, less than the V rate I've got from factory, but I think I can live not driving faster than 180km/h.

All AT tyres are not as good in asfalt than specific ones, but is part of the compromise.

I have been using Yokohama Geolanders on the Touareg but have them on a second set of wheels and swap over for overland trips.
They are nice and hard so not prone to cuts or stone punctures like softer read tyres but the load rating is a bit lower.
Still working through the options.

Load rating is very important

We put a set of the Goodyear's that WG mentioned on for our trip to Norway.
They were excellent offroad and some very muddy sites and OK on the motorway but did find them noisy compared to the Dunlop Sports we normally have on.
MPG ok at just under 32 over 5400 miles.
As WG said we also changed the spare to a Goodyear to keep the rolling radius the same.

That's interesting.
There are more people here who recomend those Michelin... do they have the snowflake simbol?

Looks like the Michelin Latitude Cross are M+S tyres? If so, they could be a good option

Yokohama Geolandar AT VS BF Goodrich All Terrain

Yokohama Geolandar AT VS BF Goodrich All Terrain
No surprise really, as I have had BFGs many times in the past and have always been the best, but were not available in a close enough size or speed rating. (Plus they can be very noisy on the tarmac)
I know we don't drive faster than the speed rating of the tyre but I don't want to give an insurance company ANY reason to question a claim
I am leading towards the Michelin Latitude cross 235/55/17 103 H XL because it has an exact size match, good load and speed rating.

Do you know what's the minimum speed rate for our Calis? I don't kn ow how British insurance companies manages that.

BF load rate is 107, bigger than the 103 of my OEM ones, but speed rating is S (113 Mph).

Got an Admiral email confirming I can fit BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2, 225/65R17 107S with no invalidate my insurance :bananadance:bananadance:bananadance:bananadance:bananadance

Now is time to search where to buy them.... looking for our VIP discounts.

Sorry, in what way is it unforgiving? Don't want to be driving round in circles:)
Unless you were panicking, which it´s the proper moment to run in circles shaking hands

Don't forget the spare. 4Motion can be very unforgiving unless tyre sizes are very, very close.
I´ll chage the spare one as well..... 235/55 R17 for sale!!! Only used few kilometers (to head a workshop and fix a puncture)

Sorry, in what way is it unforgiving? Don't want to be driving round in circles:)
4 motion and Haldex coupling require all tyres to be the same size/ratio etc. If you fit a different sized spare when you get a puncture, the haldex coupling seems to attempt to correct it.. It seems this can result in some problems for. There are some other threads on here related to this.

I'll change the spare as well. I'm thinking whether to get 6 of them plus one more steel to be able to rotate time to time geting all of them weared equally.

I'm thinking about that because what is happening now with my current spare, it's brand new and I need to change it.

On the 4Motion tyres on the same axle should have a circumference within mm's of each other otherwise you can end up damaging the Haldex coupling / electronic differential if you drive at normal speeds, so the spare should be treated as an emergency wheel, low speed/low distance. If tyres are worn but still legal you may have to replace both tyres if it cannot be repaired, if the circumference between old and new is too great.
However, the new generation of the Haldex system are supposed to be more forgiving.
On my 4Motion I change all 4 tyres at the same time when wear levels dictate. I think I would probably change both on an axle if one was damaged and unrepairable.
Your choice.

Thanks HugoFar,

I've already did and 225/65 R17 are the more close to the ones I've got know (BG AT KO2 I mean). They are one cm narrower and diameter is around 3cm bigger, but looks like they will not rub (I made some "investigations"). The bigger diameter will give me a little more than 1cm of more ground clearance.

Back