Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

I wonder how many owners will actually venture off road? Whilst it’s nice to look at I’m not sure who it’s aimed at, especially at that price. The habitation fit out doesn’t look sufficiently rugged enough as it’s pieced together with generic bits and pieces that’ll you find on other Hymers, the lounge area looks uncomfortable and the lack of storage doesn’t match up with expected usage. For that money I’d be tempted to buy British and have one of the two vans that were at the NEC this year. (Forget the names). The biggest positive I can find is some of the new materials, I.e the pop top, will probably be seen in some of the cheaper models over time and I applaud Hymer for doing something different.

Think they're aimed at the super rich like premier league footballers who probably have a dozen other vehicles and this will sit next to their paddock as the new toy for a while.....

@The Blue Merle has a very valid point, if I camped in this off grid somewhere I'd by lying awake all night worrying someone was going to try and break in.

I wonder how many owners will actually venture off road? Whilst it’s nice to look at I’m not sure who it’s aimed at, especially at that price. The habitation fit out doesn’t look sufficiently rugged enough as it’s pieced together with generic bits and pieces that’ll you find on other Hymers, the lounge area looks uncomfortable and the lack of storage doesn’t match up with expected usage. For that money I’d be tempted to buy British and have one of the two vans that were at the NEC this year. (Forget the names). The biggest positive I can find is some of the new materials, I.e the pop top, will probably be seen in some of the cheaper models over time and I applaud Hymer for doing something different.
Katkus
2nd hand one on autotrader been up for months.
Nice kit out but poor spec base van.
Love that merc shame they don’t do one without that poptop as I imagine that’s added that £50k!IMG_6393.png

Katkus
2nd hand one on autotrader been up for months.
Nice kit out but poor spec base van.
Love that merc shame they don’t do one without that poptop as I imagine that’s added that £50k!View attachment 120817
Crazily overpriced for a 2 - 3 year old van which doesn't cost a great deal more new

Crazily overpriced for a 2 - 3 year old van which doesn't cost a great deal more new

I’m sure a newly converted version would cost a bit more.
But this is what put me off a bespoke conversion. Resale value is unknown and only interests a limited market. The major dealers won’t be interested in shifting this on, unless it’s at a rock bottom price.

At least with the likes of Hymer they have a degree of pedigree and hold their value well with a much bigger market to sell to should the van not quite work as one imagined.

Last edited:
I’m sure a newly converted version would cost a bit more.
But this is what put me off a bespoke conversion. Resale value is unknown and only interests a limited market. The major dealers won’t be interested in shifting this on, unless it’s at rock bottom price.

At least with the likes of Hymer they have a degree of pedigree and hold their value well with a much bigger market to sell off should the van not quite work as one imagined.
Sage words, this is one of the reasons I changed to a Westfalia, the leaking bellows in my Cali also hastened that decision too!!!

Looked at the Katkus at the Nec, beautiful interior, looks fantastic- I believe owners previous proffesions are interior designer and furniture manufacturer.
However the vans basic infrastructure is not ideal, Small water tank / battery packs, plus Sprinter 4x4 is a better off road package.
MAN/Crafter lacks serious off road ground clearance, image and reputation in the Overlanding community which ultimately has a knock on effect with residual values.
The MAN my well have a better interior layout and offer slightly more space but theses vehicles are all about image, outdoor lifestyle and YouTube click bait.
There's only one base vehicle for that and that's a Sprinter.

12 month old Sven for sale, price a bit steep for me when you can get a brand new one for £8k more, albeit with a very uncertain wait....

Available now. Nice colour too.
I’m sure by the time you wait for a new Sven, it’ll cost a lot more…

Snobbery aside has anyone driven the latest Transit? Have to say that 5.5m Swift Trekker looks like a serious option for anyone looking for a 4 berth van with standing height that's not a great deal longer than a Cali.

Snobbery aside has anyone driven the latest Transit? Have to say that 5.5m Swift Trekker looks like a serious option for anyone looking for a 4 berth van with standing height that's not a great deal longer than a Cali.

I watched this video, and it does look a seriously attractive bit of kit, I particularly liked the sleeping area!

Try getting the kids to sit in those travel seats for more than 10 minutes - far too upright.
Ok if there's only two of you and but this vans market is aimed at young families.
To many YouTubers gloss over this issue, its so important when traveling any kind of distance.
Graphics and branding also verging on being slightly tacky.

Try getting the kids to sit in those travel seats for more than 10 minutes - far too upright.
Ok if there's only two of you and but this vans market is aimed at young families.
To many YouTubers gloss over this issue, its so important when traveling any kind of distance.
Graphics and branding also verging on being slightly tacky.
I like the look tbh and will go and view one soon but I’d agree on the kids thing. Slightly different issue with mine, they’re one and three and both travel in car seats. All of these ‘family’ vans only seem to have ISOFIX anchors on the outer rear seat. An Ocean comes with a lot of compromises for a family of four when camping at this time of year but at least both rear bench seats have anchor points. The GC does too.

Totally agree with Jimmy, my kids are now 14/16 and travel seats are a real issue.
A trip doesn't go by without arguments on seating, we work a 2 hr rota with front seat passenger.
Wonder how long the Trekker designer spent sitting in those seats, answer not long!
Some manufacturers are beginning to address the issue, this will have a strong bearing on the choice of next van.

Ford isn’t the issue….. Swift is!

Yep, that would be my take too.
However. It looks like Swift have really thought about this van.
Considerations:
1 - the rear seat, Westfalia still win here. Shame you can’t get a Sven with a poptop to accommodate families.
2 - off grid abilities, am I right there’s no diesel heater etc
3 - fridge, 50l, that’s small
4 - the bed, does the bed need to be packed away before driving…? Surely those metal bars will rattle around???
5 - the bathroom is tight, similar to my old 540 Evo. It’s to tight to use the toilet with the door closed. Btw I’m 5,11
6 - it’s a Ford, ok, I’m not totally against Ford. I’ve not driven the bigger one. The transporter size van is pretty good, not sure about the bigger brother.

At the end of the day, £71k.
Can you live with the flaws…?

Maybe, some can. Probably not for me. My Blue Evolution was £73k and I hated the base van and it had to go after just 6 months.

I think the reality is that a 5.5m van for four that squeezes in a lounge, washroom and fixed bed will always feel a little bit cramped in each section. I often wondered if people would buy in to a 5.5m long Ocean layout, just with more space, standing room and storage. Looks like Ventura are having a go at one, it’s on a Peugeot which is meh but if VW came out with say a 5.5m Crafter, would people consider it? You could probably work in a Portapotti with a privacy screen and an external shower point with hot water.

Last edited:
Why on earth Westfalia don't add either a pop top, or a higher roof to accommodate a bed in the Sven Hedin is beyond me. I reckon it would be default go to for most Cali owners wanting a bigger van, so many people say they'd have one in a heartbeat if it were only 4 berth.....

I'm wondering whether VW sold Westfalia the batch of MAN TGE's on the basis they don't make it into a 4 berth and take sales away from the Grand California?

Back