Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali toilet talk

So the question is are the loo's going to be ready for inspection at the cali's on the farm in may ....????? :)

A porta-potti show n' shine?

I would dearly love to attend Cali's on the farm. However although I am in UK for April, I have to return to France for May. I will be at the Euro Meet 2013 in July, and will be at BusFest. I will be proud to show off my "Loo" then!

So 'stiring up' an old thread :lol:

I'm being told by the powers that be that we need a portaloo.

So to 335 or 335 Qube is the question.

What does the 335Q bring to the party over and above the trusty 335?

I hear the 335Q doesn't fit under the sink, it's not something I'm sure about anyway. But does the 335Q fit under the rear load cover when on its upper setting?

Anyone got good or bad things to say about other brands/models??

What sort of specifications should I be looking for? For example do some models require you to 'snap off' over length deposits or can you drop off something that resembles a baby's fore arm with relative ease? Would this cause problems with emptying?

Equally if you happen to go for a spot of pebble dash decoration, do some cope better than others? Wouldn't want any splash back.

Stu said:
So 'stiring up' an old thread :lol:

I'm being told by the powers that be that we need a portaloo.

So to 335 or 335 Qube is the question.

What does the 335Q bring to the party over and above the trusty 335?

I hear the 335Q doesn't fit under the sink, it's not something I'm sure about anyway. But does the 335Q fit under the rear load cover when on its upper setting?

Anyone got good or bad things to say about other brands/models??

What sort of specifications should I be looking for? For example do some models require you to 'snap off' over length deposits or can you drop off something that resembles a baby's fore arm with relative ease? Would this cause problems with emptying?

Equally if you happen to go for a spot of pebble dash decoration, do some cope better than others? Wouldn't want any splash back.

:laugh2

I have just checked Brandrup and it seems that they now use the 335Q as well so it must fit under the unit.

I'd previously missed this thread.

We've had a 335 qube for the last year and it fits under the sink unit just like the older (less asthetically pleasing) 335 model.

However it doesn't sit in the brandrup tray properly - that is for the old model and afaik brandrup only sell the tray for the new model complete with the toilet (and the toilet is not competitively priced from them)

I'm just in the process of making a new tray that it does fit; I'll post a picture of the vacuum forming mold later.

Simon

shambly said:
I'm just in the process of making a new tray that it does fit; I'll post a picture of the vacuum forming mold later.

Sounds interesting Simon.

Watched this thread for a few weeks...

Lee, James, I came up with this very special decal for you guys :)

[album]708[/album]

Mark

With some reluctance, I am going to buy a 335 or 335 Qube. Looking at websites the Qube version is newer, looks prettier. the old 335 is 305mm tall v 315mm for the newer 335 qube.

I have a facelift cali and the space under the rear bed frame in its low setting is about 340mm.

the space in my sink side lower cupboard is about 420mm if you remove the shelf. with the shelf in place the height is more like 230mm. You can add another 20mm to these two heights if you ignore the raised lip that the sliding door runs in.

Thus I can't see why either toilet will not fit under the bed, but please let me know if I have got something wrong.

Do people actually store these under the sink? What about smell and leak? Why is there a brandrup tray if they don't leak? Presumably you have to drill new holes and raise the shelf side sink if you store the toilet under it?

Also, looking at the porta potti website, it does not recommend that you travel with the flush fluid in the reservoir. So do you have to empty these things when you drive around?

Sorry if daft questions, but I have not touched one of these things for many years and am a little uncomfortable at the thought of introducing one to the cali

:thanks

gatvol said:
Do people actually store these under the sink? What about smell and leak? Why is there a brandrup tray if they don't leak? Presumably you have to drill new holes and raise the shelf side sink if you store the toilet under it?

Also, looking at the porta potti website, it does not recommend that you travel with the flush fluid in the reservoir. So do you have to empty these things when you drive around?

:thanks

Yes, we store it under the sink. No smell, no leaks. I guess the tray is for peace of mind and to anchor the toilet in place (the toilet itself comes with a mounting bracket that you could use). With a 4 year old we usually travel with the seat just far enough back to be able to get the toilet out for a lay-by stop.

We did raise the shelf as per Brandrups instructions with their tray (old 335). I can provide a scan of these if anyone needs them - You just need a steady hand and to go easy as you don't want to drill through both skins of the cabinet...

We drive around with water in the flush tank all the time, and a precharge in the waste tank. Strangely they also recommend that you don't leave them completely empty :doh as the seals can fail prematurely that way.

We do usually empty the waste tank (and pre-charge it with new waste fluid) before heading home.

I recently scanned in the base (waste tank) of the toilet with a 3D scanner and had it sat on the floor at various angles (including completely upside down) for a couple of hours. All without emptying it and all without a drop being leaked! :cool

Hope that helps,

Simon

Hi,
We have a 345 Qube which I bought new for €50 from a French Campervan shop near us. We travel with the reservoir full and sometimes something in the waste tank! There is never a smell or leakage, it has a good flush, and an indicator when the waste tank is getting full. We do not keep it in the cupboards as these are reserved for cooking and eating utensils, and overnight snacks and essential drinks, eg. Wine beer etc! It is normally kept in the living area of the Cali, where it makes a good table or foot stool. ( I have made a box to cover it). When not in the living area, it fits neatly under the shelf in the back of the van. Hope this helps.

Stu said:
shambly said:

tray_mould.jpg

Final finishing still to do but you get the idea... (this was 3D printed)

SimplyDubs said:

[album]708[/album]

Mark

love it mark .....:upsidedown

SimplyDubs said:

[album]708[/album]

Mark

That is awesome. If you make one up for me I will wear it cotf plus i will make a donation to charity.

Serious. :).

James

shambly said:
Stu said:
shambly said:

tray_mould.jpg

Final finishing still to do but you get the idea... (this was 3D printed)

Do you mind telling me how you 3d printed the tray. Which printer and was it expensive ?

I used to work with a CAD unit back in my former life and these things were many tens of thousands of pounds back then.

Have Fun

Bob

Back