Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

God, a lot of hot air has passed this way since I had my lunch. Government advice is just that and Lightning was right to point it out. Then there is the question of interpretation and enforcement. Here we move into a very grey area and I'm with T6CFO if his beach (? see photo) is literally on his doorstep. The development of the Stasi in Eastern Germany should be compulsory reading for some.

I was just getting used to lockdown. Looks like the next weeks of this may make me take up knitting.GHU :Depressed

Very much off topic, but what the hell is that contraption on the roof? Who has the third seat and can they see past the other two?
It's a tandem triplet, pictured here on someone else's doorstep, currently away at their third home.
IMG_0254.JPG

And here it is on our home doorstep.
IMG_2994.JPG

It has proved to be rather useful these last ten days or so. Exercising in the park, either on foot or on their own bikes, my boys have a tendency to run/cycle up to people for a chat, however often I remind them to keep their distance. On the tandem I have them right where I want them. Plus they can't touch any surfaces other than the handlebars.

It's almost time for Tom @Amarillo to produce another graph and indecipherable bit of analytical modelling
I read mathematics at university, and as a first year undergraduate spent some time playing about with the differential equations used to model viruses. Much has been lost to the mists of time, but it really is fascinating stuff. Trust me, it is!

I had earlier written a post describing a way the data from China can be used to extrapolate very useful information on the spread of the virus, if you know the criteria the Chinese health service used to decide who would and who wouldn't be tested for CV19. I never posted it because I had been accused of being somewhat confrontational in my posting style.

It's a tandem triplet, pictured here on someone else's doorstep, currently away at their third home.
View attachment 56775

View attachment 56776

It has proved to be rather useful these last ten days or so. Exercising in the park, either on foot or on their own bikes, my boys have a tendency to run/cycle up to people for a chat, however often I remind them to keep their distance. On the tandem I have them right where I want them. Plus they can't touch any surfaces other than the handlebars.
Don't you have to pay a congestion charge for that?

God, a lot of hot air has passed this way since I had my lunch. Government advice is just that and Lightning was right to point it out. Then there is the question of interpretation and enforcement. Here we move into a very grey area and I'm with T6CFO if his beach (? see photo) is literally on his doorstep. The development of the Stasi in Eastern Germany should be compulsory reading for some.

I haven’t got a problem with anyone having different interpretations but the same arguments have gone on for days with no outcome and entrenched positions.
I posted thread 691 in a vain attempt and almost a plea to discuss something else. The response was predictable and I admit to losing it.
In hindsight I cannot however though see an alternative. It happens constantly and by the same people.
I chose and it is my choice to call them out on it. Some may not like it with comments such as Man up. Not much I can do about that.
If you took this spat in isolation you would be missing the point I am attempting to make.
People can make their own choices. I’ve made mine.

Back to painting

Mike

I haven’t got a problem with anyone having different interpretations but the same arguments have gone on for days with no outcome and entrenched positions.
I posted thread 691 in a vain attempt and almost a plea to discuss something else. The response was predictable and I admit to losing it.
In hindsight I cannot however though see an alternative. It happens constantly and by the same people.
I chose and it is my choice to call them out on it. Some may not like it with comments such as Man up. Not much I can do about that.
If you took this spat in isolation you would be missing the point I am attempting to make.
People can make their own choices. I’ve made mine.

Back to painting

Mike
Maybe we should add discussing coronavirus restrictions to politics and religion as arguments that cannot be won one way or the other? (Oh and I forgot Brexit-remember that?). I do sympathise, but don't let it get under your skin.

Back to walking round the table and kicking the cat.

I read mathematics at university, and as a first year undergraduate spent some time playing about with the differential equations used to model viruses. Much has been lost to the mists of time, but it really is fascinating stuff. Trust me, it is!

I had earlier written a post describing a way the data from China can be used to extrapolate very useful information on the spread of the virus, if you know the criteria the Chinese health service used to decide who would and who wouldn't be tested for CV19. I never posted it because I had been accused of being somewhat confrontational in my posting style.

1585580329345.png

My teachers tore their hair out with me. I was always top at mental arithmetic, rarely got beaten in any school Compton including London inter-schools, but once it moved off from sums to maths, that was it, as thick as two short planks.

My teachers tore their hair out with me. I was always top at mental arithmetic, rarely got beaten in any school Competition including London inter-schools, but once it moved off from sums to maths, that was it, as thick as two short planks.
Polar opposites. When I try adding two numbers the sum is like a roll of the dice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polar opposites. When I try adding two numbers the sum is like a roll of the dice.
My wife always adds two and two and makes five.
Now we are so far off topic, but maybe this counts as therapy for what would otherwise be the most boring time ever?

I read civil engineering at University and spent some time (an awful lot of time) playing about with a rugby ball and the girls from the local college of domestic science. Happy days! I think that mathematics was one of the modules, can't really remember now. And you know what is said about statistics. At least after a forty year working life I managed to secure a decent pension! I do like the bike, but there are too many seats and pedals for me.

Well, just back from a 4 mile run in accordance with Boris and CSO encouragement to get out and exersize safely.

Interesting to hear Michael Gove clarify that "no more than normal time exercising"..... Thank you Michael, I was scheduled to run 13.1 miles yesterday until it was cancelled! :D

Or think of it this way....

If a thousand people were in your local park with 300 dogs, kids on bikes would it be far better to travel 5miles to have less occupation/ density?

I nipped out to the Forest this morning with the dogs. Saw 7 people. I walked the dogs around the common yesterday and that figure was 150 plus..... View attachment 56730View attachment 56729
View attachment 56775

View attachment 56776

And put their feet up when dads not looking or that's what my daughter used to do on her trailgator.

Well, just back from a 4 mile run in accordance with Boris and CSO encouragement to get out and exersize safely.

Interesting to hear Michael Gove clarify that "no more than normal time exercising"..... Thank you Michael, I was scheduled to run 13.1 miles yesterday until it was cancelled! :D

I think michaels comment is most likely targeting those people that think sitting on a seafront bench all afternoon is exercising lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think michaels comment is most likely targeting those people that think sitting on a seafront bench all afternoon is exercising lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of them where I live. I have had to avoid one part of my favourite route because unless I run on steeply sloping shingle it's impossible to pass the benches with minimum 2 metre clearance. this time last year it was rare to find more than one or two benches occupied, now everyone is :D

some real gems in here
  • Some shops have been told by police and local councils that the chocolate eggs are considered non-essential goods
  • overzealous enforcement and a misreading of the rules
  • “Bonkers”
  • This is a time when being excessively pedantic seems rather absurd
  • Easter eggs is acceptable if you are already visiting a shop for essential items - or buying them as "eggstras”

some real gems in here
  • Some shops have been told by police and local councils that the chocolate eggs are considered non-essential goods
  • overzealous enforcement and a misreading of the rules
  • “Bonkers”
  • This is a time when being excessively pedantic seems rather absurd
  • Easter eggs is acceptable if you are already visiting a shop for essential items - or buying them as "eggstras”
So it’s ok for the usual big stores to flog Easter eggs etc. But not the ‘convenience’ store. That sounds very convenient for the larger stores.

Let's just say:

We are in territory none of us have ever experienced.

We are experiencing a flood of very essential government instruction, statute and advisory, to implement a programme of disease control.

Due to the hurried nature of such a process there will be ambiguities and anomalies.

Instead of reading the minutiae to wallow in errors, lack of understandings and varying applications of new guidelines why don't we just get on with getting together and stopping this thing in as shorter space of time as possible. Families, social groups, businesses and global economies are in meltdown so I think I can live with a few mistakes, over zealous policemen and bit's of opaque guidelines here and there if to benefit a cohesive national effort of damage limitation on all fronts.

Last edited:
Let's just say:

We are in territory none of us have ever experienced.

We are experiencing a flood of very essential government instruction, statute and advisory, to implement a programme of disease control.

Due to the hurried nature of such a process there will be ambiguities and anomalies.

Instead of reading the minutiae to wallow in errors, lack of understandings and varying applications of new guidelines why don't we just get on with getting together and stopping this thing in as shorter space of time as possible. Families, social groups, businesses and global economies are in meltdown so I think I can live with a few mistakes, over zealous policemen and bit's of opaque guidelines here and there if to benefit a cohesive national effort of damage limitation on all fronts.
I like a bit of a wallow now and again. It breaks up the long winded diatribes.

I like a bit of a wallow now and again. It breaks up the long winded diatribes.

Goodness, long-winded diatribes .... I'm on my local community "support" page. "love thy neighbour" has become "kill those next door" and the amount of people who think this virus is the work of Brexiteers or tories ..... I just want to scream "suck it up folks".

Back