Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

Goodness, long-winded diatribes .... I'm on my local community "support" page. "love thy neighbour" has become "kill those next door" and the amount of people who think this virus is the work of Brexiteers or tories ..... I just want to scream "suck it up folks".
Err...with the greatest respect, I haven’t got a clue what you mean. Brexiteers? Tories? Where did that come from?

Err...with the greatest respect, I haven’t got a clue what you mean. Brexiteers? Tories? Where did that come from?

As I said, just commenting, on my local community support page. Just commenting on "long diatribes", yes, I'm getting them from every angle.

As I said, just commenting, on my local community support page. Just commenting on "long diatribes", yes, I'm getting them from every angle.
Oh good, that’s cleared that up then. Anyway, about these Easter eggs. What do you think then?

I used too, it was a bit like a picnic bar. Late 50’s early 60’s. Happy days

For those who are interested in facts not propaganda and wonder why we are going towards a Police state and economic ruin, some information re The Influenza (not the dreaded corona) virus, which we do not, nor ever have restricted activities from.
If you want links and by the sheeple comments, I don't suppose many will, I can provide them.

My basis for this opinion is 43yrs as a doctor (medical consultant before retirement)

From the office of National Statistics 2015

"Winter is approaching and many people are preparing by getting their boilers serviced, wearing warmer clothing and getting their flu jab. While colder weather can be a risk to health for older people and those with underlying health conditions, this article shows in recent years, higher levels of excess winter mortality are also related to the virulence of circulating flu strains.

The number of excess winter deaths in 2014/15 was the highest of the last 15 years
Excess winter mortality, the difference between the average number of deaths over the winter and the rest of the year, has decreased significantly since the 1950s. This is thanks to improvements in healthcare, home insulation and the introduction of the influenza vaccination programme. However, after a drop in 2013/14, deaths increased substantially in 2014/15.

Number of excess winter deaths, England and Wales, 1995/96 to 2014/15

Embed code
Download the data

Between December 2014 and March 2015 there were 44,000 excess winter deaths, 2.5 times higher than the record low of the previous winter, and the highest number since the winter of 1999/2000 when flu levels were very high.

Daily deaths peaked on 1 January 2015, 35% higher than the five-year average
Deaths peaked on 1 January last winter when daily deaths were 35% higher than the five-year average. The first part of 2015 (5 to 11 January) also saw weekly deaths at 15,000, the highest number in any given week since the last two weeks of December 1999 and first two weeks of January 2000, when flu levels were very high.

Daily deaths were above the five-year average on 304 out of 365 days in 2014/15. There were only two days during the winter period where daily deaths fell below the five year average, and on both occasions, the difference was less than fifteen deaths."

In short 4000 people dying a week from Flu, in 20110 47000 people died and these were not as bad as 1999-2000 when I certified 25 dead in a week!

From the Journal of Infectious Disease,
A paper analysing the Flu burden on the UK. To be simplistic if you are old, obese, have a significant health problem, if you end up in hospital as an 'at risk' group 65yr plus ,185 of you per thousand will die!!!
Now see Corona death rates
For the sceptical as the paper can be difficult to view here is the relevant data

Table 3. Estimated annual number of influenza admissions and deaths in hospital and case fatality rate (CFR) with 95% confidence interval by age group and risk status, and relative risk of dying in hospital if in a clinical risk group for influenza.

Age groupNot at clinical riskClinical riskCFR ratio
Clinical risk/not clinical risk (±95% CI)
Estimated number of influenza admissions
(±95% CI)
Estimated number of influenza deaths in hospital
(±95% CI)
Deaths/1000 influenza admissions
(±95% CI)
Estimated # influenza admissions
(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% C

0–14 y5862 (137)2.5 (0.3)0.43 (0.38–0.49)573 (22)10 (0.6)17 (15–18)38.6 (33.4–44.8)
15–64 y3297 (61)20 (1.2)6.1 (5.7–6.4)2452 (70)98 (7)40 (37–43)6.6 (6.0–7.3)
65+2040 (46)378 (11)185 (179–192)3029 (255)1298 (56)428 (391–473)2.3 (2.1–2.6)
All Ages11,199 (157)400 (11)36 (35–37)6054 (266)1406 (56)232 (219–246)6.5 (6.1–6.9)

I have posted elsewhere why I think this current is being taken, you now will have many weeks of idleness to research this for yourselves.

Henry Kissinger former US secretary of State & National Security Advisor: Today, America would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order. Tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told that there were an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will plead to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well-being granted to them by the World Government.

For those who are interested in facts not propaganda and wonder why we are going towards a Police state and economic ruin, some information re The Influenza (not the dreaded corona) virus, which we do not, nor ever have restricted activities from.
If you want links and by the sheeple comments, I don't suppose many will, I can provide them.

My basis for this opinion is 43yrs as a doctor (medical consultant before retirement)

"Winter is approaching and many people are preparing by getting their boilers serviced, wearing warmer clothing and getting their flu jab. While colder weather can be a risk to health for older people and those with underlying health conditions, this article shows in recent years, higher levels of excess winter mortality are also related to the virulence of circulating flu strains.

The number of excess winter deaths in 2014/15 was the highest of the last 15 years
Excess winter mortality, the difference between the average number of deaths over the winter and the rest of the year, has decreased significantly since the 1950s. This is thanks to improvements in healthcare, home insulation and the introduction of the influenza vaccination programme. However, after a drop in 2013/14, deaths increased substantially in 2014/15.

Embed code
Download the data

Between December 2014 and March 2015 there were 44,000 excess winter deaths, 2.5 times higher than the record low of the previous winter, and the highest number since the winter of 1999/2000 when flu levels were very high.

Deaths peaked on 1 January last winter when daily deaths were 35% higher than the five-year average. The first part of 2015 (5 to 11 January) also saw weekly deaths at 15,000, the highest number in any given week since the last two weeks of December 1999 and first two weeks of January 2000, when flu levels were very high.

Daily deaths were above the five-year average on 304 out of 365 days in 2014/15. There were only two days during the winter period where daily deaths fell below the five year average, and on both occasions, the difference was less than fifteen deaths."

In short 4000 people dying a week from Flu, in 20110 47000 people died and these were not as bad as 1999-2000 when I certified 25 dead in a week!

A paper analysing the Flu burden on the UK. To be simplistic if you are old, obese, have a significant health problem, if you end up in hospital as an 'at risk' group 65yr plus ,185 of you per thousand will die!!!
For the sceptical as the paper can be difficult to view here is the relevant data

Table 3. Estimated annual number of influenza admissions and deaths in hospital and case fatality rate (CFR) with 95% confidence interval by age group and risk status, and relative risk of dying in hospital if in a clinical risk group for influenza.

(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% C

0–14 y5862 (137)2.5 (0.3)0.43 (0.38–0.49)573 (22)10 (0.6)17 (15–18)38.6 (33.4–44.8)
All Ages11,199 (157)400 (11)36 (35–37)6054 (266)1406 (56)232 (219–246)6.5 (6.1–6.9)

I have posted elsewhere why I think this current is being taken, you now will have many weeks of idleness to research this for yourselves.

Henry Kissinger former US secretary of State & National Security Advisor: Today, America would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order. Tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told that there were an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will plead to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well-being granted to them by the World Government.
The failure to establish a believable exit strategy from this lunacy will continue to baffle us all.

Its straight forward,
1)isolate everyone, no-one develops immunity, allow people 'out' after a period of time ?3 months and watch te epidemic re-activate
2) Immunise everyone before they are let out (interesting as RNA viruses not easily vaccinated for as frequently mutate (hence no foot and mouth one after 50years and billions of pounds of lost animals)
3) Let it loose slowly, test people and those negative or maybe positive will be allowed to move around!!!. I say positive as they will have had or have the disease or are a carrier (can't determine from test), negative as safe and not had it got it but unfortunately could be in incubation stage but still infectious!!

Clear as mud?

Oh good, that’s cleared that up then. Anyway, about these Easter eggs. What do you think then?

Ridiculous.

Anyone suggesting that Easter eggs are not an essential is clearly not of this planet.

That’s all we need. Novel aliens carrying novel virus.

Responding to DocBob1 above..

Isnt 1) just stalling for time to enable 3) to happen.

Ie there are enough infected people out there now to fill up the hospitals to capacity, lets lockdown now, deal with the infected & once they are dead/recovered we can let the next batch get infected.

This first batch will probably include the majority of the medical profession & those working in food retail, once they have all had it it they should be in a far better position to help those that haven't. The big worry of course is whether you can get it more than once.

All the time hoping someone will find a vaccine

Responding to DocBob1 above..

Isnt 1) just stalling for time to enable 3) to happen.

Ie there are enough infected people out there now to fill up the hospitals to capacity, lets lockdown now, deal with the infected & once they are dead/recovered we can let the next batch get infected.

This first batch will probably include the majority of the medical profession & those working in food retail, once they have all had it it they should be in a far better position to help those that haven't. The big worry of course is whether you can get it more than once.

All the time hoping someone will find a vaccine
There was a doctor on the radio the other day, who said they think the immunity after being infected probably only lasts a couple of months.

Ridiculous.

Anyone suggesting that Easter eggs are not an essential is clearly not of this planet.

That’s all we need. Novel aliens carrying novel virus.
I’m pleased to say we agree on that. Even though we may be viewed as ‘sheeple’ by someone.

I’m pleased to say we agree on that. Even though we may be viewed as ‘sheeple’ by someone.

I have a confession.

After years and years, probably most years since since 1959 when they finally let me out of the children home,, of protesting and revolting, or even just being revolting, I quite like being "sheepie" All I have to do is to keep my freezer packed, my fridge stocked, my cupboards full , my running shoes ready and my glass filled.

The only problem is it just doesn't work out that way. If someone stopped me getting chocolate then my protests
regarding the establishment would again surface.

Thank goodness Sainsbury's are doing home deliveries and still delivering Lindt truffles. I can sleep in peace.

I think we’re singing from the same hymn sheet. Good ol’ Sainsbury’s

Re Sainsbury's, our 3 local stores have all struggled to restock a lot of lines recently and are barren whilst others, Aldi and local chain Booth's have recovered very quickly from the panic buying stage and are now well stocked. Not great from such a big player.

Embed code
Download the data

(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% CI)
(±95% C

If we park the undertone of conspiracy theory and focus on the stats is your conclusion that this corona virus is no worse than a seasonal flu and that we should just be letting it run its course in the way we have done with flu in the past?

If we park the undertone of conspiracy theory and focus on the stats is your conclusion that this corona virus is no worse than a seasonal flu and that we should just be letting it run its course in the way we have done with flu in the past?
I think he does.
One thing he has not mentioned is that those figures of deaths due to influenza are against a background of Annual Winter Flu Vaccinations.

There is no vaccination for Coronavirus.

I think his comments would carry more weight without the “ Conspiracy Theory “ Element.

Back