Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Design Changes and/or New Options for the California.

So how would that work?
Opening outwards? Have to remove bike rack.
Sliding downwards? Probably have to lose chair storage.
Opening inwards? How would the net fit?
I suppose the logistics would be down to VW. Aren't we just doing a Wishlist?

I suppose the logistics would be down to VW. Aren't we just doing a Wishlist?
To some extent, but a wish list that the majority could/would want.
Anything is possible if you have the time, skills and money.
But certain things could be changed for the benefit of all, not just the few.
Eg: Spare wheel carrier for 18” wheels even if it means a SpaceSaver wheel. VW sell 16/17” with carrier but not 18”.
Body Moulding Protection. They had it on the T5 but not the T6.

How would a Sliding door blind work. You cannot add to the upper window frame thickness because the door wouldn’t slide and would you really want to have a smaller window height to fit a blind?
Perhaps it could roll out from the bottom of the window, like the tailgate blind. Alternatively I’d be happy with another magnetic blind like the ones for the front doors. The existing setup is awkward, and really fragile.

Let’s go back to basics: a roof that doesn’t corrode, an engine and gearbox that are designed to comply with emission regs (not ones that are strangled to squeeze through) and a control panel for the habitation systems that’s from the 21st century.

Perhaps it could roll out from the bottom of the window, like the tailgate blind. Alternatively I’d be happy with another magnetic blind like the ones for the front doors. The existing setup is awkward, and really fragile.
As an alternative, keep it where it is, but make it long enough to reach the floor. That way, you could have privacy for getting changed (or whatever) without closing the door.

A heater that is quiet, doesn't tick, or smell would be on my wish list.

How about easily detacable rear seat head rests, only occaisonly use ours.

There is the Twin slider Shuttle Model. But twin sliders would be a bit meaningless in the 2seat bench Beach with the storage box.

Überbus do a Beach style conversion that works with twin sliders & storage box.... no reason VW can't do it either

Überbus do a Beach style conversion that works with twin sliders & storage box.... no reason VW can't do it either

You've just answered your own question VW probably sell the base vehicle to Uberbus so why develope their own version? Very little to gain. Just the same with Westfalia conversions and other major converters of new base vehicles that VW sell to them. Doesn't make good business sense, a lot of work for little profit. Things like Emissions and crash tests. VW would have to do this for each model the Conversion companies don't have to.

Hi @WelshGas -- not really sure I understand this thread.

You have asked for people's ideas and then proceed to dismiss what's offered.

what's the point? I'm going to ignore this thread now

I didn't think you understood the point. VW are not going to pander to everyones personal wishlist, that's what 3rd parties do. Want a toilet then Westfalia, want twin sliders then Uberbus.
But there are things that could be improved on the California. Lithium Leisure Batteries or just one, Solar Panel, Non Aluminium roof , spare wheel carrier for 18" wheels, modern Control Panel, waterproof bellows things that many would appreciate not just the few. There are many converters that cater for the more extreme variations, high top, LWB, on board toilet etc: and VW are quit happy for them to carry on doing that because they are selling the base vehicles to them.
It's all a matter of compromise. Yes, VW could build a twin slider Beach but why would they when someone else is. So if that is what you want then you'll have to forgo an all inclusive 3yr warranty .

So how would that work?
Opening outwards? Have to remove bike rack.
Sliding downwards? Probably have to lose chair storage.
Opening inwards? How would the net fit?
Like this :)
The fly screen would be integrated with a pull down blind like on Hymers.
Come on WG. Where is your 'blue sky' thinking?
You're nearly on top of the world aren't you?

View attachment 45505
It will upset the Bike rack brigade. I’d go for it, but then I use a Towbar rack.

Can you open from the inside as well?

I have found it very useful. I’d never have considered adapting the 13 pin towbar electrics for 12 volt external leisure use.

Still, I prefer my modification and can see no reason why VW cannot offer something similar.

View attachment 45505

I was about to post the same.
It’s a great idea, especially when visiting hot countries in summer.
I remember a few years ago, being in Italy. Slept with the tailgate fully open and still half boiling to death.

How would a Sliding door blind work. You cannot add to the upper window frame thickness because the door wouldn’t slide and would you really want to have a smaller window height to fit a blind?

As has been suggested a magnetic option would do. I have made a couple of blinds which attach with suckers to the two windows. Not elegant but I can open and close the door without having to open and close a badly designed roller blind. Double glazed window glass with a blind between the two panes is a thing now. That could be developed into an option.

As has been suggested a magnetic option would do. I have made a couple of blinds which attach with suckers to the two windows. Not elegant but I can open and close the door without having to open and close a badly designed roller blind. Double glazed window glass with a blind between the two panes is a thing now. That could be developed into an option.
I could never see why the sliding door blind couldn't pull up from within the door, there would seem to be enough room.
From memory, that's what the sun blinds on my Caravelle did...

It’s a Van, supposed to be loaded for “ Adventures “. :thumb
Agree it's better when loaded but mines also a daily drive, day tripper, dads taxi, rubbish truck etc. I think lots of people buy calis for their versatility and for me suspension that was as versatile as the rest of the vehicle would be a massive improvement.

Back