Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

With regard to avoiding the corrosion, in an earlier thread someone mentioned a treatment ( not Kur-rust but similar) to paint onto any areas of possible corrosion..... would this make sense prior to squinting in silicon paste? Can anyone remember what it was called?

is the metal in the seal there to aid the seal gripping the roof ? if so couldn't a non corrosive material be used instead ? too simple or am i ?

someone said they had rust in a seal they had purchased, if so does this mean the metal could be taken out and replaced with something different ?

Last edited by a moderator:
is the metal in the seal there to aid the seal gripping the roof ? if so couldn't a non corrosive material be used instead ? too simple or am i ?
You have a good point as far as I can see.

@Trebor , if it's not obvious from your photos, could you do us all a great service by doing a simple sketch of the cross section of the seal, showing where the steel is, and where it is exposed? It may help us make sense of your images. (Just take a photo of your sketch and upload).
I'm assuming (dangerous) that the cross section is more complex than a simple U, with the steel lying exposed at the bottom.

The exposed corroded steel is mainly in the base of the U but some other areas . Very difficult to photograph and probably 20/30 spots in the straight front section . The sides and rear are much better . I have posted some photos in media x4 . Hopefully you will be able to see them .

Trebor, very interesting observations. Thanks for your post. Could you upload your best photos to MEDIA and advise when done so? Also when you have your new seal can you ask your dealer if there are any special instructions for fitting? If there are I would like to see a copy if possible. Thanks JW

I have uploaded x4 photos to media hopefully . Old seal ,new seal and roof corrosion . Removing and refitting seal is really easy . Just avoid putting any force on 90 degree weld . Start removing half way down a side .

sorry ... where is media re:photos ...
cheers

ps .... sorry don't know how the face got in there ? I'm a computer idiot

Here's a direct link

full

full

full

full

The exposed corroded steel is mainly in the base of the U but some other areas . Very difficult to photograph and probably 20/30 spots in the straight front section . The sides and rear are much better . I have posted some photos in media x4 . Hopefully you will be able to see them .
Thanks Trebor. What is image 965 (second image on this post) and where is that on the seal or is it the corner of the aluminium roof? It looks pretty sharp to me, and is that paint peeling?

I have uploaded x4 photos to media hopefully . Old seal ,new seal and roof corrosion . Removing and refitting seal is really easy . Just avoid putting any force on 90 degree weld . Start removing half way down a side .
Thanks Trebor, I think I can work out which is which. Very interesting.
JW

someone said they had rust in a seal they had purchased, if so does this mean the metal could be taken out and replaced with something different ?
May have been answered before. Haven't read all previous posts. Not necessarily a Cali fix, just info.
Alloy has to be primed with an etching primer as normal primers won't bond to it. Any corrosion would have to be removed first. Shot peening is the professional method recommended for boats and car parts as it doesn't remove too much good metal.
Examples of this are normally evident on alloy wheels where the painting process hasn't been done properly.

The metal is an integral part which is the clamping part that holds the seal on, same as in door seals. Quality seals have stainless steel metal clamp which is 'buried' in the seal rubber or plastic.
Purchasing seals for classic cars over the years has highlighted how poorly manufactured (cheap) versions are now prevalent. I would have thought VW's quality control would ensure the spec. was high???

The clearest insight into alloy corrosion I have read is in relation to aircraft where every aspect of this issue is critical.
Not much help if a wing falls of and the manufacturer responds with "We are not aware of any problems".

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...craft/amt_handbook/media/FAA-8083-30_Ch06.pdf

sealsdirect.co. uk say they supply and manufacturer marine and car seals .... my forte in life ain't communication ... gotta b worth someone asking them some questions ?

i haven't even got a van and feel totally gutted for snowy and his one man stand ... right on brother u have my total respect ...x

Thanks for sharing these photos Trebor and helping all of us by bringing it to VW's attention. Shocking! Good though that you may be getting to the source of the problem which will hopefully eventually lead to a permanent solution from VW.

Have now seen your photos, I took my seal off today no visual sign of rust on the seal but lots of evidence on the paint surface under the seal area, no sign of perforation by the seal through the paint.

No bubbles at all on front edge, a little at the back, most on the sides.

Did find paint bubbles on the inside of the roof under the seal area which others need to look out for, this needs to be included in the repair.

Stuart

There doesn't appear to be any type of adhesive under the seal and it certainly isn't watertight. When mine was checked at SMG Cowfold the seal was just peeled back, photos taken and then replaced. Definitely no mention of adhesive.
Hi leightonjthomas :) Is yours a T6 Cali ? Don't mean to upset but I spoke with Steve at SMG Cowfold today and he confirmed that they haven't looked at any T6 Cali seals yet. However, they are due to check one next Friday.

Last edited:
Hi leightonjthomas :) Is yours a T6 Cali ?
No. I had a 2013 T5 which had corrosion on the front panel and under the seal. It was examined at SMG Cowfold and booked in to AB Crush before I sold it. I now have a 2015 T5. No corrosion on the front panel but slight bubbling under the seal.

No. I had a 2013 T5 which had corrosion on the front panel and under the seal. It was examined at SMG Cowfold and booked in to AB Crush before I sold it. I now have a 2015 T5. No corrosion on the front panel but slight bubbling under the seal.
Ok thanks for that. I am trying to get to the bottom of whether there is an adhesive holding the seal in place. This could be a powder, liquid or gel of some sort. Specifically for T6 Cali's.

Ok thanks for that. I am trying to get to the bottom of whether there is an adhesive holding the seal in place. This could be a powder, liquid or gel of some sort. Specifically for T6 Cali's.
I pulled a section of mine off the other day, it is only a mechanical grip, no sealants of any kind.

As a future T6 Owner and having read previous threads about the T5 roof I raised the issue when in the process of ordering a T6. I was assured that it was a 'historical' fault which was now eliminated.
like others I'm pretty worried by the prospect of future time consuming problems with the roof. So much so that I contacted VWCV customer care for clarification on warranty etc.. I did quote that there were a number of T6's displaying the same problem.
Response which says nothing much & doesn't do anything to raise my confidence, is briefly as follows,

T5 did have a problem which has been eliminated by a change in manufacturing processes. Any future problems will be dealt with on an individual basis.

Edit add on. The extended 6 year applies to T5's as a special gesture.. T6's have standard 3 year paint & 12 years body corrosion.

Last edited:
This is the reason why more T6 owners must check their roofs as we will not be covered like the T5 owners are. As far as VW is concerned this is only a T5 problem. Cmon fellow T6 owners get out there and check under the seal.

This is the reason why more T6 owners must check their roofs as we will not be covered like the T5 owners are. As far as VW is concerned this is only a T5 problem. Cmon fellow T6 owners get out there and check under the seal.
I will when it comes back from the bodyshop!

IMG_0987.JPG IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1007.JPG Ok . I've had my second new seal today and just checked it under mag x5 at home before fitting . Sadly as I expected this seal is exactly the same . Visible wire in numerous places in the front straight section of the rubber . This appears to be corroded steel but I'm not entirely sure . It's definitely not aluminium . It's orange almost copper / rust coloured with something that appears to be corrosion . I'll try to take x50 pictures over the weekend . I don't blame my dealer at all . Just had first service today . Excellent service . Clearly there is a big quality control issue here . Naked eye would not pick this up . These are the labels off the latest packaging . I'm off to Merribel in van in next few days and then Dubai ( not in van ! ) so will not be able to follow this up for about a month . Don't know which seal to refit but will have to do it tomorrow with silicone grease

View attachment 18625 View attachment 18623 View attachment 18619 View attachment 18620 Ok . I've had my second new seal today and just checked it under mag x5 at home before fitting . Sadly as I expected this seal is exactly the same . Visible wire in numerous places in the front straight section of the rubber . This appears to be corroded steel but I'm not entirely sure . It's definitely not aluminium . It's orange almost copper / rust coloured with something that appears to be corrosion . I'll try to take x50 pictures over the weekend . I don't blame my dealer at all . Just had first service today . Excellent service . Clearly there is a big quality control issue here . Naked eye would not pick this up . These are the labels off the latest packaging . I'm off to Merribel in van in next few days and then Dubai ( not in van ! ) so will not be able to follow this up for about a month . Don't know which seal to refit but will have to do it tomorrow with silicone grease
Thank you for taking the time.

Does anyone have any email contacts for senior management in VW? There is a lot of good information in this thread and surely VW management can't be aware they are using defective rusty seals on the Cali.

I think this thread needs to be highlighted to VW.

Would like to add for all you with t6s on order . Don't let this put you off it's a great camper and will put a smile on your face every time you go on an adventure . It drives amazingly . I'm sure silicone grease will sort the problem but think VW will be replacing a lot of seals in the future !

Back