Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

@Sonas , seems you are scouting the forum looking for info in sevral treads regarding the roof problems , you are hoping/thinking the new models (T6 ) are cured from the roof problems .
There have been changes made to help prevent the corrosion , but don't take for granted problems are sovlved . Only time will tell and T6's have been reported .
New '17 models offcoarse less as the issue usual begins afther one -two years ....not very much in the first years.
VW knows this , dealers know this , we all know this , .....sad to say but potential buyers on this forum also know this , if you can't bare the tought ...pull out the plug and cancel the order.
It should not be , but it is ....the Cali still is a great verhicle even with the roof corrosion.
I got it on mine but if you don't know it one does not see it .

@Sonas , seems you are scouting the forum looking for info in sevral treads regarding the roof problems , you are hoping/thinking the new models (T6 ) are cured from the roof problems .
There have been changes made to help prevent the corrosion , but don't take for granted problems are sovlved . Only time will tell and T6's have been reported .
New '17 models offcoarse less as the issue usual begins afther one -two years ....not very much in the first years.
VW knows this , dealers know this , we all know this , .....sad to say but potential buyers on this forum also know this , if you can't bare the tought ...pull out the plug and cancel the order.
It should not be , but it is ....the Cali still is a great verhicle even with the roof corrosion.
I got it on mine but if you don't know it one does not see it .
Thank you for your reply. We have dreamed of a VW California, We considered getting old one but thought for peace of mind that a new one would be less stressful to own. We are not wealthy people so this is taking us to the limit of what we can afford, and it will also be our day to day vehicle. All these threads have been a bit of a shock, and what more shocking is that VW hasn't really fixed the problem yet. So before I read the threads on this forum, I ordered a Beach. And we can't wait to get it. I will not cancel the order because we love the camper and look forward to many family adventures. But the gloss has been taken off it a little . I suppose Im hoping that VW had finally fixed it, but by all accounts its still happening. Unbelievable really.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply. We have dreamed of a VW California, We considered getting old one but thought for peace of mind that a new one would be less stressful to own. We are not wealthy people so this is taking us to the limit of what we can afford, and it will also be our day to day vehicle. All these threads have been a bit of a shock, and what more shocking is that VW hasn't really fixed the problem yet. So before I read the threads on this forum, I ordered a Beach. And we can't wait to get it. I will not cancel the order because we love the camper and look forward to many family adventures. But the gloss has been taken off it a little . I suppose Im hoping that VW had finally fixed it, but by all accounts its still happening. Unbelievable really.

Thanks
VW will not fix it while people still order new vans. Businesses will only change when they have to either from a drop in sales, feedback or legal challenges IMHO.

@Sonas , we are no welty people either and it took me about 20y dreaming and saving money before i got myself a new 2012 SE payed cash.
Back then i did not know about the roof issue either , and to be honest i don't ever think about it until it shows up on the forum every few days in this tread...
I fully enjoy my Cali even with the corrosion!

Hi - yes, my 2016 T6 Ocean has this fault, now in the process of being handled by VW Exeter. Seems they have had quite a few, and that the "repair" will take 2 weeks, while we will be without our vehicle. I really wonder if that will be the end of it, though. Quite unbelievable how VW allowed this to go through the design/specifying system in developing the T6. Same with last summer's melting awning seam, which was replaced with the self-same Thule product - with a seam! Let's see how it survives French sunshine next month ;-)

Shocked to read this but not surprised at all, looks like all the T6 owners will be looking under their rubber seals in the morning.

Disgraceful to say the least.
I sure will be keeping an eye on my new t6 here in New Zealand. I can not believe this rusting crap. WHY HAS THIS PROBLEM FAULT NOT BEEN RECOGNIZED BY FUEL GATE VW????

I sure will be keeping an eye on my new t6 here in New Zealand. I can not believe this rusting crap. WHY HAS THIS PROBLEM FAULT NOT BEEN RECOGNIZED BY FUEL GATE VW????
It really is hard to take. Its corrosion of the aluminium pop top, not rust. They say here on the forum that its cosmetic and not structural. No one seems to know if its been sorted completely. And VW just carry on making them in the full knowledge that they are faulty. Im lost for words.

It really is hard to take. Its corrosion of the aluminium pop top, not rust. They say here on the forum that its cosmetic and not structural. No one seems to know if its been sorted completely. And VW just carry on making them in the full knowledge that they are faulty. Im lost for words.

And we keep buying them!!!!,

Roof & paint related, but not the pop-up section, but a paint defect has appeared along the raised section of the front part of the roof, where the pop-top seal meets it. It is with the dealers and they have sent photos to VW.
My photos are attached - the white line appears to be a section where the paint has gone, exposing the underlying layer.
I will update the forum when I get an answer as to what the problem is, and their solution.

IMG_20170610_124132.jpg

IMG_20170610_124158.jpg

Apologies for not reading through all 38 pages if the answer is already here.

But has anyone with T6 roof corrosion got VW to acknowledge it and propose a solution yet? I reported T6 corrosion to the dealer 3 months ago but VW has not acknowledged that it exists yet. They just keep stalling the dealer / changing personnel / and generally ignoring the matter.

My view is VW have accepted there is a problem by extending the paint warranty on the roof by a further 3 years giving 6 years from registration, there is no solution, simply a re spray and re fit the same configuration that caused the problem in the first place.

The addition of the protective film, read tape, now being factory fitted as a barrier between the roof edge and the seal on New T6 models from end 2016 may be effective but we have yet to find out.

My van is roof being re sprayed in October, I asked VW by letter to VW UK if they could apply the same tape after my repair so that the problem did not re appear. VW replied they had no intention of adding the tape to the repair procedure, they did refer this to VW HQ in Germany.

I intend to fit the tape myself after my repair is done, currently VW are unable to provide a part number or product name despite the part being listed on the parts list for the roof.

You could not make this up.

Roof & paint related, but not the pop-up section, but a paint defect has appeared along the raised section of the front part of the roof, where the pop-top seal meets it. It is with the dealers and they have sent photos to VW.
My photos are attached - the white line appears to be a section where the paint has gone, exposing the underlying layer.
I will update the forum when I get an answer as to what the problem is, and their solution.

View attachment 24214

View attachment 24215

Update re this paint defect - collected Cali from dealers. They accept there is an issue with the paint, but have referred it to VW for advice, etc. I will await their update in due course...

Update re this paint defect - collected Cali from dealers. They accept there is an issue with the paint, but have referred it to VW for advice, etc. I will await their update in due course...
That white line is just like the line I found in exactly the same place on my California. I couldn't work out what it was at first and then realised it was the polish I'd used. Couldn't get a cloth in there to get rid of it and ended up having to use a Cotton Bud to wipe it away.
I couldn't work out how you could get such a straight line if it was a plaint defect because these components are totally prepainted before assembly.

That white line is just like the line I found in exactly the same place on my California. I couldn't work out what it was at first and then realised it was the polish I'd used. Couldn't get a cloth in there to get rid of it and ended up having to use a Cotton Bud to wipe it away.
I couldn't work out how you could get such a straight line if it was a plaint defect because these components are totally prepainted before assembly.
Interesting that you had something similar. Polish was my first thought so I tried that too, rubbing and picking at it, then trying to polish it out with a liquid polish, and the dealers did, but it seems to be lower than the surrounding paint. The only stuff that's been been up there (if it was done properly) was the lifeshine treatment.
Did you use anything on the cotton buds?

Interesting that you had something similar. Polish was my first thought so I tried that too, rubbing and picking at it, then trying to polish it out with a liquid polish, and the dealers did, but it seems to be lower than the surrounding paint. The only stuff that's been been up there (if it was done properly) was the lifeshine treatment.
Did you use anything on the cotton buds?
Just wet them. I had the Lifeshine treatment as well.

I have just come back from 17 days touring around the alps (Was very nice )
90% of the Californias I saw had black pop up roofs !!! New ( t6 Californias)
Does anyone else know of this ?
Have they sorted the problem out on the continent and we will be the last to see it ?
Or is it nothing to do with a corrosion solution ?

I have just come back from 17 days touring around the alps (Was very nice )
90% of the Californias I saw had black pop up roofs !!! New ( t6 Californias)
Does anyone else know of this ?
Have they sorted the problem out on the continent and we will be the last to see it ?
Or is it nothing to do with a corrosion solution ?

Could they be driving the special Editions? They have a blacked out roof panel on the top but the canvas is still the same.

Is there such a beast as a special edition T6 Ocean?

Have a look here: https://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge.de/de/modelle/california.html#vw_m246_m532_jump_id

That's the German VW site. Apart from Beach, Coast & Ocean there are 'Edition' trim levels. Here in the UK we aren't offered those. One of the distinguishing features is that you get a black roof. If you use Chrome, Google does a pretty good job of translating the German site.
Thanks. Never bothered looking at the German site as it annoys me that there are so many different versions dependant on your location. Just wish they would sort out the roof issue as it will drive many away.

Back