Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

We need to get things in perspective here, this is a shambles and VW should be ashamed of themselves but other manufactures have made vehicles that they knew were death traps and did nothing about it.

Hi folks,
I'm a newbie here thinking of buying a California. I've read the thread and many others on the forum and think, but am not sure, of two things. Could anyone confirm/disconfirm?

1. The roof corrosion issue is a VW SE/Ocean/Beach/etc. issue, not a T5/T6 issue (e.g., not a known problem with T5s/T6s converted elsewhere)?

2. The corrosion is cosmetic, but wouldn't be visible unless one where (i) standing up high somehow and looking at the roof (which is normally too high to be seen unless you're super tall), and possibly even (ii) doing that, while lifting a rubber seal or piece of trim?

Apologies if these questions have been answered. I have tried to find the answers via reading and the search function.

thanks!

Nick

2. The corrosion is cosmetic, but wouldn't be visible unless one where (i) standing up high somehow and looking at the roof (which is normally too high to be seen unless you're super tall), and possibly even (ii) doing that, while lifting a rubber seal or piece of trim?
I cannot answer your first question with any authority.

When aluminium is fully corroded it becomes brittle and crumbles, I know, I've had my bicycle handlebars do this at a critical moment on the A20 in Lewisham. I have no idea how long this will take in the case of the California, but eventually the issue will transfer from a cosmetic issue into a roof failure. At a best guess, I would expect the time taken for the roof to fail would be best measured in decades rather than years (i.e. 2 to 19 decades).

I've heard the cost of the roof as a spare part is around 4 grand - although that sounds a lot. So worst case scenario when the rain starts coming in is a new roof.

Given the scale of the issue I'm still gobsmacked that no third party has offered a solution, seal without steel in it, prep, respray and tape as apparently in the latest VW solution, or some other magic. I guess this is because not enough have fallen out of the 6 year warranty window yet.

Hi Nick, the answers to both your questions is a general yes.
As far as I know the corrosion issue is only on VW California Conversions (i.e. by VW). Other third party converters have a different roof construction method.
If the corrosion is particularly bad it can be seen without any climbing above roof or any lifting of seals/trims.
The T5 variant suffered from two corrosion issues - The front defector over the cab area and around the edge of the pop up roof. The front deflector issue eventually got VW's attention which resulted in a change in factory production techniques. This seems to have been effective. The T6 variant has suffered only the latter of these two issues (so far). It remains to be seen if the application of tape, a recent production change to the T6, will fix pop up roof issue.

Given the scale of the issue I'm still gobsmacked that no third party has offered a solution, seal without steel in it, prep, respray and tape as apparently in the latest VW solution, or some other magic. I guess this is because not enough have fallen out of the 6 year warranty window yet.
I expect the tape will simply delay the corrosion issue to beyond the warranty period - it is not a cure.

Reactions: JRD
I had a 2011 T5.5 with paint lifting on the front panel which I think is more serious than the roof edge paint lifting issue which has unfortunately persisted on the T6 model - am I right in thinking there are no reports yet of T6 front panel paint lifting? On my current late 2015 T6 there are no issues with paint lifting on the front panel
yet. When I bought my T6 I thought the problems on the roof edges of California's might be due to water lying in the inverted U shape formed by the seal, so I covered the gap between the seal and the roof with electrical insulation tape from nearly new to stop this, surprisingly the tape has adhered well (but no jet washing...) and an inspection prompted by this thread has revealed no paint bubbling yet. The tape does not damage the paint when it is removed. Maybe now I will remove the seal and tape the roof edges and re-cover the seal to roof gap as well? I think raising and lowering the roof causes the seal to move slightly and abrade the paint on the roof edge and this exacerbates the problem, tape on the roof edge would prevent this. The T6 California is a great vehicle, any prospective buyer reading this thread should not be put off buying one! Does anyone know which tape the factory are using on the roof edges?

t6 beach 1 yr old. 12k on clock. roof edge under the seal over passenger side. bought it 2nd hand. now what do I do?

20170514_140653.jpg

20170514_140352.jpg

Two choices:

1.Go to your dealer they will then book you in for the bodge up temporary fix
2.Sit it out in the hope they find a proper repair that will work

I am in the same boat as you

problem I have now is do I put some tape on like vw seem to be doing or will that make it worse now it's already started? will the tape then peel off my paint the next time i check and need to remove the tape to look?might experiment with some tape on the 'good side' and see if stAys ok while leaving the other side to Rot 'as per normal"

Let your dealer fix it under warrenty , weather you report it now or wait a few years is your choice.
Still very sad thing doh , my 2012 SE also is infected.

Check out the text of your warranty. I think you will find you have to report any defect like this as soon as you discover/detect it. If not you may find your warranty Will not cover it.

In my opinion and it is only my opinion the sooner these faults are reported the better VW might actually sit up and take notice that the T6 has got the same problem as the T5,

In my opinion and it is only my opinion the sooner these faults are reported the better VW might actually sit up and take notice that the T6 has got the same problem as the T5,
True but what will happen is that my van will be in for partial repair of the corrosion appearing now. It won't get any preventative work done and it means I'll probably have to keep going back every six months. Not really satisfactory to have to lose the use of my van regularly. I'd love to be able to tell vw but refuse a patch up remedy.

Tape was put on the edge of lifting roof on my t5 when it had original fix. Done by independent large body shop.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tape was put on the edge of lifting roof on my t5 when it had original fix. Done by independent large body shop.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Hi Andy, has the problem reoccurred following the repair with tape?

Took the plunge and had a look at mine by removing the seal.

So far so good.

I got mine in mid January 2017 and no signs of any tape?

Seal was not fitted with any sort of sealant and was very easy to take off. Not that dirty underneath but worth doing.

Putting the seal back on again was slightly harder and is not in my view a very good design. Started at the front and worked round. As we all know the bit at the front where there is a kink in the roof is a useless fit, especially considering all the roof issues. No doubt it does its job as a seal to stop egress into the Cali but it is an obvious water trap.

I intend to keep an eye on mine and will clean and check every six months.

In January it will be going back for its annual paint check by the guy who did the detailing. I shall probably remove the seal and see what he suggests with protecting the rim.

Mike

So far so good.

Seal was not fitted with any sort of sealant and was very easy to take off. Not that dirty underneath but worth doing.

Putting the seal back on again was slightly harder and is not in my view a very good design. Started at the front and worked round. As we all know the bit at the front where there is a kink in the roof is a useless fit, especially considering all the roof issues. No doubt it does its job as a seal to stop egress into the Cali but it is an obvious water trap.

In January it will be going back for its annual paint check by the guy who did the detailing. I shall probably remove the seal and see what he suggests with protecting the rim.

Mike
Thanks for update.Very interesting that your Cali had no tape. Do you have a build date? My intel says this was part of a new procedure from early to mid Dec '16.

So far so good.

Mike

May be worth thinking about getting the film added now below the bubbling starts? I am chasing VW for a part number or name for the product which is now described on the T6 parts list as 'protective film' see my post on the T5 roof corrosion thread. I will be fitting the tape as soon as the paint repair is done.

Thanks for update.Very interesting that your Cali had no tape. Do you have a build date? My intel says this was part of a new procedure from early to mid Dec '16.
Afraid I don't know the build date.

Mike

May be worth thinking about getting the film added now below the bubbling starts? I am chasing VW for a part number or name for the product which is now described on the T6 parts list as 'protective film' see my post on the T5 roof corrosion thread. I will be fitting the tape as soon as the paint repair is done.
Certainly would. Hopefully you will identify the tape. If so keep us posted.

Mike

Anyone heard of 2017 California's out there with the same corrosion issues ??.

Back