Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

Collected my Beach on 23/1/17. Have just checked and there is tape there, which to be honest I have not noticed before. No signs of any bubbling or other anomalies though - as yet

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collected my Beach on 23/1/17. Have just checked and there is tape there, which to be honest I have not noticed before. No signs of any bubbling or other anomalies though - as yet

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi what build week was your Beach? Mine was week 49 2016 December 5th and I can't see any tape.

Either I'm looking in wrong place or my week 09 Beach doesn't have tape on the roof.

I did find short lengths of tape on the front panel.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Sit it out and see if taped roofs have same problems in a few months or apply tape now or what? Other than not worrying and getting on with enjoying our cali not sure what to do.

Could you tell if the tape was one strip covering inside and out wrapped arround the edge, or is it applied as two separate strips one inside and one out, leaving the edge unprotected?
As Erbster says - it feels like it's wrapped around the bottom edge of the roof - you can see / feel the extra thickness of the tape

Just inspected our month old T6 (build week 5), no roof corrosion yet!

The tape.

Pulling down the seal was more difficult to do than on our previous T5, at first I thought it might have been glued on to the roof.

The tape is quite thick clear plastic type which appears to be adhered by a roller, because there are parallel rows of air bubbles all the way round where it is not properly in contact with the roof, both on the inside and outside of the roof lip. It extends 6 millimetres up each side, wrapping around the edge of the roof lip, which makes the tape 13mm wide. It doesn't extend all the way up to the top of the rubber seal. I found it difficult to look inside the seal, so was not aware if any rust was on the metal insert in the seal.

None of the tape was visible above the seal. If it is, due to its narrow width, it may have been wrongly applied and may not have sufficient wraparound.

The rubber seal.

I have already confirmed it is the same as on the T5, it fits snugly around the roof except where it goes over the curved section each side at the front, where it gapes, providing a nice little water access place!
20170425_120236.jpg 20170425_115719.jpg 20170425_115454.jpg
I didn't remove the front section of the seal to check if there was tape under it.

20170425_120236.jpg

Could the parallel lines on the tape be where the seal has gripped it and what seem to be bubbles actually be a stressing of the tape?

Could it be that VW has adopted the practice of using something like Heskins Corrosion Protection Tape H3453

https://www.heskins.com/corrosion-protection-tape

I was told by someone that in the past some classic cars with Aluminium and steel body panels used a linen tape as a barrier.

VW should have researched this problem before now and this seems a half hearted attempt rather that a complete re design.

Not sure on that. I did rub one little bit and it adhered to the roof, but I'm not sure if there was any trapped air that just moved to the nexed bubble or whether it was just stretched (stressed) as you suggest.

Like Erbster I saw them applying the tape in the factory.
The tape does go all the way round the roof, including across the front section of the seal.
When the seal was applied it was pushed on manually and then afterwards they went around the whole edge with a device to crimp the seal tight. It sounded like the rollers on either side of the device were being 'hammered' together to crimp the metal in the seal up.
Looking at the pictures above I would suggest the rows of 'bubbles' are more likely to do with this crimping of the seal, and possibly pulling the seal off could make the situation worse.

Could it be that VW has adopted the practice of using something like Heskins Corrosion Protection Tape H3453

https://www.heskins.com/corrosion-protection-tape

I was told by someone that in the past some classic cars with Aluminium and steel body panels used a linen tape as a barrier.

VW should have researched this problem before now and this seems a half hearted attempt rather that a complete re design.
It would be excellent if it is as that's a tape designed to deal with Galvanic corrosion. I have formally asked VWCS if my Beach, produced in the last week of December 2016, had tape applied. I await an answer but will post it once known. If the answer is yes, I will then ask why.

It would be excellent if it is as that's a tape designed to deal with Galvanic corrosion. I have formally asked VWCS if my Beach, produced in the last week of December 2016, had tape applied. I await an answer but will post it once known. If the answer is yes, I will then ask why.
"Product Quality Enhancement" ;)

Not sure on that. I did rub one little bit and it adhered to the roof, but I'm not sure if there was any trapped air that just moved to the nexed bubble or whether it was just stretched (stressed) as you suggest.
Hmmm......Time will tell.

Just inspected our month old T6 (build week 5), no roof corrosion yet!

The tape.

Pulling down the seal was more difficult to do than on our previous T5, at first I thought it might have been glued on to the roof.

The tape is quite thick clear plastic type which appears to be adhered by a roller, because there are parallel rows of air bubbles all the way round where it is not properly in contact with the roof, both on the inside and outside of the roof lip. It extends 6 millimetres up each side, wrapping around the edge of the roof lip, which makes the tape 13mm wide. It doesn't extend all the way up to the top of the rubber seal. I found it difficult to look inside the seal, so was not aware if any rust was on the metal insert in the seal.

None of the tape was visible above the seal. If it is, due to its narrow width, it may have been wrongly applied and may not have sufficient wraparound.

The rubber seal.

I have already confirmed it is the same as on the T5, it fits snugly around the roof except where it goes over the curved section each side at the front, where it gapes, providing a nice little water access place!
View attachment 21058 View attachment 21059 View attachment 21060
I didn't remove the front section of the seal to check if there was tape under it.

View attachment 21058
Thanks for removing the seal to take a look @SusiBus . Are you comfortable that the tape is sufficiently well applied that the seal can be removed and replaced without risking damaging the tape and potentially invalidating the paintwork warranty?

I was a bit nervous at first, but curiosity pushed me on. I didn't need to have worried, in fact l took it off (carefully) twice. Initially to have a look, and then again to take photos for the forum. The tape showed no signs of the seal having been removed, it needed a good push to reseat it completely.

If this is indeed a 'fix' what's the likelyhood of a recall to have the tape retro fitted to all the other T6 Calis? Prevention being better (and cheaper) than cure etc...

If this is indeed a 'fix' what's the likelyhood of a recall to have the tape retro fitted to all the other T6 Calis? Prevention being better (and cheaper) than cure etc...
Not a safety problem so No Recall.
Keep warranty to 3 years and the majority of owners won't check and will be out of warranty when/if they notice.
06d7951f806e46f665a468866d786dc1c2a69504_hq.jpg

Not a safety problem so No Recall.
Keep warranty to 3 years and the majority of owners won't check and will be out of warranty when/if they notice.
View attachment 21104
Agreed. I am however reviewing my decision not to look. I was going to wait until close to 3 years but does our new knowledge change that? My vehicle may have the tape as it was built in the last week of 2016. If i look i will know whether or not i have it and can then inspect frequently in the knowledge that if i see corrosion i can have it addressed under warranty. If it does not appear i will be in no worse a position should it then arise after 3 years. If inspection (possibly by a dealership at my request) reveals the tape to be coming loose i can have that addressed as a fault. Should tape be found loose and repaired then any future claim after warranty runs out may be better received as there was historic evidence of faulty tape? My dealer has already agreed inspection is easy and fine by them as its just another seal. All in all i may change my view on early inspection. Views?

Last edited:
How on Earth do VW continue to get away with this sorry saga for so many years without giving a ****? It is truly unbelievable that they carry on making these vehicles knowing within a year or two they will start corroding.

They are a hugely powerful, immensely profitable company with the resources to solve this properly if they really wanted to within a very short time. It truly beggars belief the way they treat customers paying over fifty thousand pounds for their products.

I honestly believe no other car company would treat people this way. We all know the base product is the best out there but they can't take us all for granted for ever.

Surely there has to be one test case in this country where they can be forced to address the issue.

Back