Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

A general comment form a soon to be a Cali owner.

It would be wise I think to remember that everything we post here can be read by the public or at the very least by all members and I think, as such, it would be naive to think VW do not monitor this forum in some way. Just worth thinking about before pressing the post button.

I know my dealer keeps an eye on what is said here.
It would be nice to think that they are monitoring this forum in order to keep their finger on the pulse, and that it would have a positive effect on their customer service but, regrettably, there seems little evidence that that is the case.

It would be nice to think that they are monitoring this forum in order to keep their finger on the pulse, and that it would have a positive effect on their customer service but, regrettably, there seems little evidence that that is the case.
Frustrating I know.

Not quite sure how to deal with it just now but I guess the point I was trying to make, but not in so many words, was that if VW think we are confused about what has or has not been said in the past and how it applies then we are almost already conquered - as in divided! In many ways VW are playing this card back at us already by saying "........we would acknowledge any concerns on a case by case basis" (quoted from BGJ's post above).

Not quite sure how to deal with it just now but I guess the point I was trying to make, but not in so many words, was that if VW think we are confused about what has or has not been said in the past and how it applies then we are almost already conquered - as in divided! In many ways VW are playing this card back at us already by saying "........we would acknowledge any concerns on a case by case basis" (quoted from BGJ's post above).

This is exactly the reason why everbody and I mean everybody must and I mean must check their roofs for corrosion otherwise nothing is going to change.
Unless everybody checks their roofs there is no polnt in moaning on this forum about lack of progress on this issue.
Vw are just playing a waiting game. There has been very few reports about roofs being repaired so it seems the whole roof repair programme has ground to a halt which is of course to Vws advantage.

Sorry - I'm a bit late to this thread and haven't waded through all 23 pages yet. Is it just snowy55 that has spotted this problem (so far) on a T6 or are there others? I probably won't see my Cali on daylight until the weekend but I'll take a look then.

Sorry - I'm a bit late to this thread and haven't waded through all 23 pages yet. Is it just snowy55 that has spotted this problem (so far) on a T6 or are there others? I probably won't see my Cali on daylight until the weekend but I'll take a look then.
As far as I know only eight T6's have been looked at (either by the owner or dealer) with the outcome posted here. 8 inspected, 4 showing sign of corrosion.

Hmm - 50%. Not good. I'll take a look at the weekend.

Thanks @Jabberwocky
The 50% is a good correlation, therefore no improvement, with the random inspection made on T5's at the COTF meet in 2014/5?

Although having spent more time than any sane person would do either writing and reading postings on roof corrosion, I'm not sure whether anyone has actually mentioned seeing white aluminium oxide powder emanating from the bubbles beneath the seal on the elevating section of the roof, or are they just bubbles where the top coat paint is bubbling from the layers beneath?

Alan, I think you may have posted on this subject a while ago, and I think you know a thing or two about paint, so perhaps you could refresh my memory of your thoughts.

Although having spent more time than any sane person would do either writing and reading postings on roof corrosion, I'm not sure whether anyone has actually mentioned seeing white aluminium oxide powder emanating from the bubbles beneath the seal on the elevating section of the roof, or are they just bubbles where the top coat paint is bubbling from the layers beneath?

Alan, I think you may have posted on this subject a while ago, and I think you know a thing or two about paint, so perhaps you could refresh my memory of your thoughts.
Hi Graham
In the 60's when I was a commercial vehicle spray painter,when treating aluminum panels the right preparation was paramount to a long corrosion free life
This would start with keying (etching) the panel with wet and dry,white spirit being the lubricant (horrific sightings of blokes using wire wool and water!)
Today I believe non etch primers are used
Next wipe down panel with lint free cotton rags dampened in paint thinners followed by a Zinc Chromate primer,followed by undercoat and topcoat
Unless this finnish was damaged it would last years

As I see it (an unscientific view) now the alluminium panel above the windscreen has been protected from contact with incompatible metals and possibly water ingress, this may result in a lasting solution!

Some of us here might remember on the old battery's where the clamps use to connect to the alluminium poles would fur up with alluminium oxide powder
Cure would be to release the clamps,clean,wire brush and apply a PROTECTIVE coat of grease which acted like a barrier

Alan

This is exactly the reason why everbody and I mean everybody must and I mean must check their roofs for corrosion otherwise nothing is going to change.
Unless everybody checks their roofs there is no polnt in moaning on this forum about lack of progress on this issue.
Vw are just playing a waiting game. There has been very few reports about roofs being repaired so it seems the whole roof repair programme has ground to a halt which is of course to Vws advantage.

I have a 2014 beach I just checked my roof today cleaned my van and removed the roof seal.
I started at the middle of the roof and worked my way round there are bubbles all the way round the roof edge .
Removing the seal was a bit daunting to start with and I was not sure I was doing the right thing but as I carried on it came off no problem.
there was a good build up of grime on the edge of the roof where the seal had been I cleaned this off and used a tooth brush to clean the inside of the seal under a running tap.
after taking some pictures.
I replaced the seal which went back on no problem start at the front and work down the edges and fit the back last.
I would urge everyone to check under the seal now VW need to be informed of the issues we are having with the roof.
WP_20170219_14_21_17_Pro.jpg WP_20170219_14_22_43_Pro.jpg

I have a 2014 beach I just checked my roof today cleaned my van and removed the roof seal.
I started at the middle of the roof and worked my way round there are bubbles all the way round the roof edge .
Removing the seal was a bit daunting to start with and I was not sure I was doing the right thing but as I carried on it came off no problem.
there was a good build up of grime on the edge of the roof where the seal had been I cleaned this off and used a tooth brush to clean the inside of the seal under a running tap.
after taking some pictures.
I replaced the seal which went back on no problem start at the front and work down the edges and fit the back last.
I would urge everyone to check under the seal now VW need to be informed of the issues we are having with the roof.
View attachment 19263 View attachment 19264
Hi Gear Box Oil, thanks for your picks. Disappointing to see this blistering. I assume you will be contacting your dealer? Would be good to hear how you get on.

These photos are of a T5? Should they be on the T5 thread?

Does this mean we should have separate threads for T5, T5.1, T5.2, T6 regarding roof corrosion. I think not. This forum is getting complicated enough with off comments in a lot of threads.
Hi John, I don think Jabberwocky was being awkward just that the the roof issue on T5 was such a huge thread with slightly different issues and it was a way to highlight and make it easier to establish if the T6 is getting the same problem. VW have a programme for fixing ??? T5 which is not in place for the T6.

Mike

Hi John, I don think Jabberwocky was being awkward just that the the roof issue on T5 was such a huge thread with slightly different issues and it was a way to highlight and make it easier to establish if the T6 is getting the same problem. VW have a programme for fixing ??? T5 which is not in place for the T6.

Mike
The corrosion under the rubber seal on my May 2015 T5 seems to be identical to that being described by T6 owners. The issue with the panel above the front windscreen, which was evident on my 2013 Cali, does indeed seem to have been sorted out, but appropriate action re the seal corrosion is far from clear, including how long the warranty lasts. It seems to me that to separate artificially T5s and T6s when it is a common, ongoing problem does not make sense. We should be working together and speaking to VWCS with one voice.

The corrosion under the rubber seal on my May 2015 T5 seems to be identical to that being described by T6 owners. The issue with the panel above the front windscreen, which was evident on my 2013 Cali, does indeed seem to have been sorted out, but appropriate action re the seal corrosion is far from clear, including how long the warranty lasts. It seems to me that to separate artificially T5s and T6s when it is a common, ongoing problem does not make sense. We should be working together and speaking to VWCS with one voice.
Yep I know and I was not trying to say we shouldn't. My comment was purely on the separate threads and why they were separate. It does not infer that we should not speak with one voice. It's not a big deal to follow the request of the OP.

Mike

Hi John,

I do see your point, but @Jabberwocky and others are collecting information behind the scenes on this so it makes life much easier if they are in two threads.
Also in a round about way, although both the T5 and T6 have roof corrosion problems they are two separate issues at the moment because as far as VW are concerned the T6 is not affected.

All very confusing I know but sadly I can see this going on for many more years :(

Hi Gear Box Oil, thanks for your picks. Disappointing to see this blistering. I assume you will be contacting your dealer? Would be good to hear how you get on.

These photos are of a T5? Should they be on the T5 thread?

Hi Jabberwocky,
good to know someone is keeping track of the figures be they T5 or T6.
I have also posted the pictures on the T5 thread but I have also been following the T6 thread and the debate regarding the removal of the seal and when this should be done within the warranty period.
Given I don't have a great deal of warranty and being a noise bugger I don't have much choice so at the first opportunity I was taking the seal off.
So I posted on the T6 thread to let everyone know that removing and replacing the seal was easier than it looked.
Having see first hand the extent of the bubbles and in some places white powder coming through and paint flaking off had I known about the problem I would have had the seal off on day one in the VW forecourt.
Would I have taken the van upon finding bubbles, probably yes.
Anyway the sooner everyone checks under the seal the better, they can report back to the forum T5 or T6 and then make a decision as to when they want to be tortured by the VW dealer.
At the end of the day we all have the same badge on the front grill and probably the same bubbles under the roof seal.
If we speak as one then hopefully VW will take some notice.

I for one appreciate the differentiating between the 'old' T5 roof issue and what seems like a new T6 problem. new as in recently purchased or about to in my case.

Trawling through years of threads isn't much fun and being able to get up to speed on current issues is a bonus for newbees like me.

Hi Jabberwocky,
good to know someone is keeping track of the figures be they T5 or T6.
I have also posted the pictures on the T5 thread but I have also been following the T6 thread and the debate regarding the removal of the seal and when this should be done within the warranty period.
Given I don't have a great deal of warranty and being a noise bugger I don't have much choice so at the first opportunity I was taking the seal off.
So I posted on the T6 thread to let everyone know that removing and replacing the seal was easier than it looked.
Having see first hand the extent of the bubbles and in some places white powder coming through and paint flaking off had I known about the problem I would have had the seal off on day one in the VW forecourt.
Would I have taken the van upon finding bubbles, probably yes.
Anyway the sooner everyone checks under the seal the better, they can report back to the forum T5 or T6 and then make a decision as to when they want to be tortured by the VW dealer.
At the end of the day we all have the same badge on the front grill and probably the same bubbles under the roof seal.
If we speak as one then hopefully VW will take some notice.
Well only 67 members decided to contact the BBC Watchdog programme prior to the latest series. So everyone speaking as one is a forlorn hope I'm afraid. Only a few will be concerned enough to do anything except moan and complain. Unfortunately that's a fact of life. I bet if we set up some form of Petition to VW requiring affected members writing a simple letter with name address, Dealership who registered problem and Reference we would probably get a few dozen at most. I could be wrong but I don't think I will be. Sad fact of life - easier to moan than do something to sort it out properly.

Back