California Club Meet Eskdale Meet April 2016

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Just returned from Camping & Caravan Club site at Eskdale which seems very popular with Cali owners.

The site are (again) hosting a VW camper meet on the (15th) 16th & 17th April 2016. The site owner says he already gets several Cali owners attending, so I thought I'd 'advertise' it here and see if we can get an informal 'club' meet without the hassle of organising anything.

It is a brilliant site. Feels like proper camping (no caravans allowed) but with good facilities. In a beautiful spot for walking, yet 3 pubs within walking distance. The pubs put bands on etc during this weekend (I'm told).
There is a steam railway down to Ravenglass to entertain any kids (I'm sure it will be running by then but they've not updated the website yet to confirm). Everything is dog friendly.

I believe the show attracts a good mix of early and late vans.
I booked last weekend and was able to get electric pitch.

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/events/camping-caravan-club-site-at-eskdale-meet.4/

Do they accept none ccc members for this event? Also is that likely to be Easter wekend?
Sounds like a good way to start the years camping.

Up there on Saturday for 5 days. Great site. Might book for next April!

Yes I believe tHey do accept non CCC members

Highly recommend the Woolpack Inn

Yep, non members welcomed although it only takes about 5 nights at the cheaper rate (available to members) to earn your membership back.
I sampled all 3 pubs and can recommend them all!

3 pubs? Sounds ideal! :D

We're interested!

Edit: Just booked 3 nights from 15th, £59.40. We (re)joined expecting a reduction, but there wasn't one, so waste of time if anyone else is thinking of joining just for this.

Last edited:
Edit: Just booked 3 nights from 15th, £59.40. We (re)joined expecting a reduction, but there wasn't one, so waste of time if anyone else is thinking of joining just for this.
I'm a bit puzzled by that result but just reproduced it on the website myself (based on 2 adults). I'll ring and get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

£20 a night isn't bad for the site, but I'd like to be clear why there isn't a saving for members.

Just booked. £59.40 for the 3 nights but oddly no difference between members and non members. However looking at the price breakdown I think non members obtain a member's price for booking a long way in advance.

I've spoken to the site this morning. I'm still a little confused about the pricing, but most importantly confirmed that they are happy that we are using this as a mini-meet for Cali owners. The price is just their standard camping pricing. They are just happy to have a full campsite so early in the season, so there is no premium for it being a 'meet'.
As far as I know, the format is similar to COTF, in that folk generally gather Friday afternoon & evening, then enjoy the full day on Saturday, and leaving at various stages on the Sunday. I believe there is a 'run out' (convoy) one of the days. You are clearly free to arrive earlier / leave later as suits your plans - just book a longer stay. The site managers also manage the site at nearby Ravenglass. This is a beautiful estuary village which you can visit on the little steam train from Eskdale, or perhaps spend a night there too.

Regarding booking and pricing, I'd advise C&CC members to use the website and non members to ring the site (who are very helpful) on 01946 723253. They will be there (or at least responding to messages) all the way through the winter.

Two years ago, it was really wet. Last year is was cracking the flags! Fingers crossed.
If you are making contact, let them know you have a Cali and they will try and get us in a similar spot.

You can ride on a good cycle path down hill almost all the way to Ravenglass - other than one MAHOOSIVE big hill - and the n bung your bike on the mini train to head back. Lovely site...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I've stayed at this site before and would highly recommend it. The people who own it were very friendly and the three local pubs were all great. One of them further up the valley runs you home in a big army truck!

It's very close to Scafell Pike too if you like a good walk.

I remember watching a guy spend three hours putting up the biggest tunnel tent I've seen in my life up next to me at that site...only to spend another three hours taking it down again in the morning as he was only there for a night. Why he bothered with carpets and what seemed like a lighting rig was beyond me. At least the sun was shining for him whilst he was doing it!

Booked for 15th and 17th

I think I've said elsewhere, this is a beautiful site - we've been there at least once a year for the five years we've had the van. We had the pleasure of meeting Mr and Mrs Freely there on one occasion.

Should be an interesting sharing of experiences and opinions on the route to take - whether or not to go over Wrynose and Hardknot passes. We did in the first year of ownership. I thought we were bottoming out on the hairpin bends, but actually on inspection for damage, I couldn't see any so it must have just been the mud flaps scraping on the road. We're not doing it again though!

We've booked as well. Stayed there before and agree it's a nice site.

We had booked as well but did not realise this was part of a bigger VW meet? I assumed it was a club meet only. is that correct? We are Lso booked into the Gloucester meet at the beginning of April.

Booked for 15th and 17th

I think I've said elsewhere, this is a beautiful site - we've been there at least once a year for the five years we've had the van. We had the pleasure of meeting Mr and Mrs Freely there on one occasion.

Should be an interesting sharing of experiences and opinions on the route to take - whether or not to go over Wrynose and Hardknot passes. We did in the first year of ownership. I thought we were bottoming out on the hairpin bends, but actually on inspection for damage, I couldn't see any so it must have just been the mud flaps scraping on the road. We're not doing it again though!

Hope the weather's better than when we met you!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Indeed so Freeley - although that would be small beer compared to here in Kendal last weekend!

There are a number of interesting routes to the site, but I don't want anyone to be alarmed. If you have the time and are worried, head for Ravenglass, but then stay on the A595 until you get to Holmrook, then turn right.

Although there are a couple of narrowish bits, this is the straight forward way.

Last time I was there, I went slightly more directly via Ulpha, which has spectacular views. A couple of hairy spots for my bigger and less powerful van, but fine in a T5 if you are careful.

I've been tempted to try the Hardknot, but as T4 clutches "are made of cheese" I've decided against it.

We had booked as well but did not realise this was part of a bigger VW meet? I assumed it was a club meet only. is that correct? We are Lso booked into the Gloucester meet at the beginning of April.

The page for the meet (or at least the initial thread) should make this clear. It's a VW meet in a lovely place with great pubs within 5 min stroll. We've just tagged on to it. It looks like there will be enough Cali's to provide the benefits of a 'forum' meet (expertise, compare accessories etc), and plenty of other vans (of all ages) to view and chat to.

I think the layout of the event page (reproduced below) may have led to the confusion?? The 'within 6 months' sections refers to 2 different events, one Official (Lower Lode), one less so (Eskdale).
Capture.JPG
Eskdale is currently showing as having 13 members booked, plus some maybes.