Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

@B J G I’m having to make the decision by 25th June whether to pay the campsite balance for a trip to France. I think your description above describes the following (as it stands) for a trip at the end of July but I’d be grateful for your correction if I’m wrong:
- Adults must be fully vaccinated with 2+ weeks after second jab before departure
- Outbound PCR within 72hrs or LF within 48hrs of departure (is this one free/paid by French govt?)
- Signed sworn statement of self certification at French passport control
- Return PCR to be conducted in France within 72hrs of return departure
- PCR test on day 2 and 8 of 10-day quarantine (can be reduced if paying for extra test to release on 5th/6th day)
- If I’m right; only children under the age of 4 are excused all of the testing but must still quarantine?
- So it’s a case of paying for 3 x PCRs per traveller over the age of 4 with one of these conducted in France before return trip? (Assuming 4th one is paid by French govt)?

Thanks

Is all that just for UK travel to France? Wondering about getting over the border from Spain later in summer.
At the moment you can visit Spain from France with a recent PCR, but AFAIK this isn't reciprocated. I also have cross border colleagues who go back and forth every workday with just a self declaration.

@B J G I’m having to make the decision by 25th June whether to pay the campsite balance for a trip to France. I think your description above describes the following (as it stands) for a trip at the end of July but I’d be grateful for your correction if I’m wrong:
- Adults must be fully vaccinated with 2+ weeks after second jab before departure
- Outbound PCR within 72hrs or LF within 48hrs of departure (is this one free/paid by French govt?)
- PCR test on day 2 and 8 of 10-day quarantine (can be reduced if paying for extra test to release on 5th/6th day)
- If I’m right; only children under the age of 4 are excused all of the testing but must still quarantine?
- So it’s a case of paying for 3 x PCRs per traveller over the age of 4 with one of these conducted in France before return trip? (Assuming 4th one is paid by French govt)?

Thanks
Up to date UK Gov advice available here, you can sign up to get any updates/changes on the requirements.

French advice here (I can't find the one with a map of test centres)

Test to go to France is you either pay for a PCR or get the free NHS home kit for 7 tests. each person will need to get a kit as you need to register and send in results, an email is sent back to you confirming the result which I assume will be what must be shown on exit from UK.

Each person must prepurchase 2 PCR Tests before exiting the UK.
a PCR test must be taken in France prior to return. 72 hour max previously. again at your cost.
You can't use a UK test in France as it will be postal and you wouldn't get the result back in time.
France won't pay for tests unless you are registered on their Health System

From UK GOV relating to Covid jabs

• 2 weeks after the second dose of Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • 4 weeks after the single and only dose of Johnson & Johnson
  • 2 weeks after the single dose of any of the above vaccines if you have previously tested positive for COVID-19
I've probably muddied to information but you seem to be basically correct except for, I think, you were intending to prepurchase a UK PCR test for return/exit from France.
72 hours requires a test to arrive in UK, get tested, result posted back and arrive with you, probably a minimum of 10 days for that to happen.

Is all that just for UK travel to France? Wondering about getting over the border from Spain later in summer.
At the moment you can visit Spain from France with a recent PCR, but AFAIK this isn't reciprocated. I also have cross border colleagues who go back and forth every workday with just a self declaration.
France has different regulations for those who are travelling to work and 'mere' Tourists.

You'd need to go on the French Embassy site in Spain for specific details.
You are in an EU Country UK is now a 3rd World Country in French travel terms so different travel requirements..

Nobody has any idea what’s going to happen next week, in 4 weeks or 4 months. Why should anyone put themselves and their partner or family through any of this to go to France. We have been on a great campsite in Llandovery for the past 3 nights. Fabulous weather and £17 a night with an ACSI card. Just leave it till next year and enjoy what you have in the UK.

Thanks
That broadly my understanding. I think the under 18s exempt from test requirement on entry to France so you might not need
Nobody has any idea what’s going to happen next week, in 4 weeks or 4 months. Why should anyone put themselves and their partner or family through any of this to go to France. We have been on a great campsite in Llandovery for the past 3 nights. Fabulous weather and £17 a night with an ACSI card. Just leave it till next year and enjoy what you have in the UK.

Good point. I put myself and my family through it last year and everyone is still absolutely livid with me. What am I thinking!?

Completely agree. We have already had 4 trips away so far this year. All in the UK of course. Had great times do far and looking forward to more between now and Oct. So glad we took the decision to abandon any foreign travel in 2021, no stress. The UK is a great place to explore.

Completely agree. We have already had 4 trips away so far this year. All in the UK of course. Had great times do far and looking forward to more between now and Oct. So glad we took the decision to abandon any foreign travel in 2021, no stress. The UK is a great place to explore.
Sounds super. We’ve already had seven trips away, all in the uk of course. I can't wait to be in France in August.

We had decided to abandon our trip to France last year but changed our mind the day before. Best decision we made.

Uk is great. France is great. So it goes.

I think it might be.
Accessed France from Germany the week before last,
campsites open, had a whale of a time.
With PCR results? Are they checking?

Seeing plenty of German and Dutch campers (nothing like usual for June of course) now so it seems to be opening. Might try it next month, if we’re turned away then just go up to the Pyrenees

France in August? Could be France anytime....
Aided by Google Chrome + Google Translate (FR to EN)
the following FR Government website:
offers a header entitled 'Travel'
Select 'Travel'
Scroll down to reach a piece on 'The case of the United Kingdom'.

E32EA064-EE51-4B6B-BF4B-CBF8AE898E35.png

B382D7FE-CF3F-470D-A23D-BF3766F5A8D6.png

Currently sitting in a wet, muddy field in Snowdonia waiting for the rain to ease
Which wet, muddy field are you sat in? Looking for a good alternative to the Cae Du site at Bedgellert since they have now gone to season pitches only.

Latest is France has relaxed the requirement to wear masks in the street and Pedro says it will soon happen here. This is pretty major! Been wearing them here since March 2020, apart from a few days in France and UK last year where they weren't compulsory at the time. You even have to run with em here.

We’ve had over 40 nights away since campsites opened on April 12th of which over 50% have been cursed by the rain. Seems as if this year has been far wetter than previous years. Currently sitting in a wet, muddy field in Snowdonia waiting for the rain to ease. If we don’t get into Europe this year to experience some of their rain we’ll be very disappointed.
Come down to Kent. It’s been really hot here for weeks and only seems to rain at night.

Latest is France has relaxed the requirement to wear masks in the street and Pedro says it will soon happen here. This is pretty major! Been wearing them here since March 2020, apart from a few days in France and UK last year where they weren't compulsory at the time. You even have to run with em here.
Run with them? That is properly mad.

We’d bring the rain with us, I can guarantee it. We’ll be meeting up with friends in Devon at the end of the month, one of whom has paid a lot of money to hire a Cali. I’m thinking of staying away just so they get some decent weather.
I can absolutely guarantee rain in Cornwall for the last two weeks in August if we go there. There's 99% certainty that there will also be the tail end of some named hurricane passing through during our stay.

On the other hand, if we go to the lakes or Scotland at Easter, October or May half term expecting rain, there will be glorious sunshine.

We go out of season and come home happy, go in August & its always awful.

There is 30 years of research to back this up.

Just had my July Ferry booking for 6th July cancelled by Brittany Ferries due to lack of bookings and current situation.
No passenger sailings/bookings before July 15th.

Not too much of a problem as was thinking of changing due to our extended restrictions.

Last edited:
Just had my July Ferry booking for 6th July cancelled by Brittany Ferries due to lack of bookings and current situation.
No passenger sailings/bookings before July 15th.

Not too much of a problem as was thinking of changing due to our extended restrictions.
Mine have just been cancelled too: 25th July Outbound and 9th August inbound.
[starts browsing south coast campsites]

The info on eurotunnel website is quite good with links to discounted outbound and the 2 post return tests. So provided you’ve had 2 vaccinations it looks like you each need a <3 day £57 test outbound. A <3 day test inbound (price unknown but I’ve read it’s free in France ?) AND booked 2 & 8 day tests for when home (£146.30) and 2 weeks quarantine. We’re seriously considering it for our 4 week trip in late August if it hasn’t changed.

I’m now wondering if “Dorset in August?” is in doubt.
I live in Lambeth and today we have been asked to do surge testing. A lot of the hoo ha about the delay to July 19 last week meant that people or the media seem to be forgetting that the current relaxation of rules means cases are already doubling every 14 days (I think slowing from 10 days). Today there seems to be overdue focus on what looks like wave 3. From ‘will we be able to go to France?’ it seems cases will be pretty darn high by the time we want to go to Dorset in August. We could be at 80,000 cases a day by then.
An official Lockdown may be avoided but will we be allowed to travel?

I’m now wondering if “Dorset in August?” is in doubt.
I live in Lambeth and today we have been asked to do surge testing. A lot of the hoo ha about the delay to July 19 last week meant that people or the media seem to be forgetting that the current relaxation of rules means cases are already doubling every 14 days (I think slowing from 10 days). Today there seems to be overdue focus on what looks like wave 3. From ‘will we be able to go to France?’ it seems cases will be pretty darn high by the time we want to go to Dorset in August. We could be at 80,000 cases a day by then.
An official Lockdown may be avoided but will we be allowed to travel?
I tend to think that we are entering the phase where 'we have to live with it' as the World must be running out of government support (financial mainly) and the need for normal commercial/work activity is becoming higher on the reasons to avoid lock down again.