Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August?

Yes us.

We felt similar to you last year; after months of home schooling and lockdown we were determined make the most of being able to get away and for things to be as "normal" as possible over the summer for the kids. We did cut our trip short so they didn't miss too much school for the quarantine so instead of doing a round trip via the French Pyrenees and then back up the West coast via several stop offs (inc. Il De Re) we just hot-footed it to the French Pyrenees and broke the journey on the way back. Hence our supposed trip to the West Coast this year.

We did enjoy it and are really glad we went - but we did find it stressful staying on busy campsites without enough hand gel use, cleaning, social distancing for our liking. Also we had an incident where a French woman got REALLY aggressive with my 10 year old daughter and that was horrible. Basically she had gone to the loo and this woman was trying to wrench to door open, to which my daughter said "There's someone in here" and then when she came out she got right in her face and was shouting at her apparently about not wearing a mask. France has the same rules as us (under 11's exempt and my daughter is little for her age and did not look 11). I think this probably wouldn't happened had it not been for covid and I have to be honest, I think it was because she was English as well. The woman was clearly demented but had it not been for general elevated stress levels at the moment I do wonder if that would have happened.

Anyway, we just want to stay in the UK this year and not take the risk of that sort of stress. Plus we have decided we don't think travelling abroad this year with the lack of vaccines on the continent and therefore a higher risk of bringing back variants is sensible.
Thanks. That’s all quite interesting. Hopefully we’ll all get away somewhere.

Reading through this, animosity from the French etc .....

We all seem to have such different experiences.

I have been travelling to France every year for about the last 40 years and I have about as many bad experiences in France as I do in England, probably a lot less. There are assoles everywhere but I have in general found the French to be some of the most welcoming, hospitable people on the planet, I love there laissez-faire attitude and I adore the food and wine and general ambience.

I really cannot imagine Francois or Francoise giving a hoot about which variant of CV is plaguing there country, more giving a hoot about the inept mismanagement of the vaccination programme.

Last edited:
I've put aside any thoughts of a foriegn holiday this year. I also have serious doubts about next year as well. With a third wave sweeping Europe, we are nowhere near the point where that is likely to be a viable proposition.

Reading through this, animosity from the French etc .....

We all seem to have such different experiences.

I have been travelling to Frances every year for about the last 40 years and I have about as many bad experiences in France as I do in England, probably a lot less. There are assoles everywhere but I have in general found the French to be some of the most welcoming, hospitable people on the planet, I love there laissez-faire attitude and I adore the food and wine and general ambience.

I really cannot imagine Francois or Francoise giving a hoot about which variant of CV is plaguing there country, more giving a hoot about the inept mismanagement of the vaccination programme.
Quite agree.
I suppose what I’m worried about is the slight feeling that “we” are gloating and the political language on both sides isn’t particularly grown up. I often look at the front page of our newspapers. Perhaps I should just stop doing that.
Now, an embarrassing confession. My story that our French neighbours are unhappy about the Kent strain is completely bogus. My wife runs a large translation company and speaks to people all over the world every day and I thought that was the source of the tale. She actually told me that our friend’s husband who has been very very ill in hospital with Covid in Italy had said the British are not too popular there. I apologise for my completely bogus story.

My first question to the people saying “I wouldn’t consider it this year” is “did you go last year?”
Are there people who went last year who won’t go this year?

We went to the Italian Alps last September. Much too early to say yet whether we'll be going onto the continent some time this year, not ruling anything either in or out. There may be firm rules or guidelines that make it impossible at that point, but otherwise we'll take a view for ourselves on how responsible or otherwise it looks.

I bet the NC500 will be choc-a-bloc this summer. More than usual. We did it in October. Well worth it in the Autumn. Scotland, Second only to Norway for driving around.

Img_2045.jpg

Img_2158.jpg

Img_2210.jpg

IMG_20201023_144353.jpg

IMG_20201024_164003.jpg

Local hero beach (19).jpg

Img_2072.jpg

Last edited:
We will be there in our Cali for almost all of August, in the lovely Landes forest beside the beach, as we were in 2020, unless it is completely forbidden to travel to France. It's not entirely risk free, but it is low risk. Our experience is that individual French people are welcoming whatever the current political situation. The ferries are well geared up for Covid protection, we will be fully vaccinated by then and, as before, we will avoid enclosed indoor spaces and will maintain social distancing. Our GHIC cards arrived on Thursday!

If challenged about the Kent strain, point out that it probably arrived in the UK from France via the Channel ports, but that Britain has a far better genotyping programme than any other European country. We run many more genotype tests and so we were almost bound to recognise it sooner. That's one thing we excelled at in the earlier stages of the pandemic. Meanwhile, thank goodness for the vaccine roll-out.

France has a very varied level of Covid, no doubt the vaccination programme will accelerate (especially once the one shot vaccine arrives) as well, be mindful the change in the situation in the UK from January to now, easy to say what the French shouda, wouda, couda, some might say had we not opened schools in September the Kent variant causing the current flare up would not have occurred.
Irrelevant no one is safe until all are safe.

Quite agree.
I suppose what I’m worried about is the slight feeling that “we” are gloating and the political language on both sides isn’t particularly grown up. I often look at the front page of our newspapers. Perhaps I should just stop doing that.
Now, an embarrassing confession. My story that our French neighbours are unhappy about the Kent strain is completely bogus. My wife runs a large translation company and speaks to people all over the world every day and I thought that was the source of the tale. She actually told me that our friend’s husband who has been very very ill in hospital with Covid in Italy had said the British are not too popular there. I apologise for my completely bogus story.

The political language from both sides of the channel is quite juvenile. My grandchildren are better at having grown-up conversations.

Hopefully the electorate is a bit above the playground rhetoric.

France has a very varied level of Covid, no doubt the vaccination programme will accelerate (especially once the one shot vaccine arrives) as well, be mindful the change in the situation in the UK from January to now, easy to say what the French shouda, wouda, couda, some might say had we not opened schools in September the Kent variant causing the current flare up would not have occurred.
Irrelevant no one is safe until all are safe.
Great words. "no one is safe until all are safe" which I totally agree with.
So why are people contemplating going abroad to fear risk to themselves and others back here in the UK on their return.

Great words. "no one is safe until all are safe" which I totally agree with.
So why are people contemplating going abroad to fear risk to themselves and others back here in the UK on their return.
Because rights and responsibilities have to be balanced, 'safe' is a relative term and a zero risk position is ultimately incompatible with the exercise of civil liberties. We'll all draw those particular lines in different places - I happen to disagree with those who argue for immediate dropping of all covid restrictions but their viewpoint is no less valid than mine.

Because rights and responsibilities have to be balanced, 'safe' is a relative term and a zero risk position is ultimately incompatible with the exercise of civil liberties. We'll all draw those particular lines in different places - I happen to disagree with those who argue for immediate dropping of all covid restrictions but their viewpoint is no less valid than mine.
Agree, guess what I was hoping for was civil responsibilities. It shouldn't be all about me, so to speak.

There are epidemiological reasons why a virus ‘wants’ to become more contagious and less lethal. Whilst I wouldn’t want to spread the virus around, I think the demon strain narrative is a little tenuous. Viruses have no benefit from becoming more deadly as it stops them spreading.
In 16 weeks time my wife and I will decide if we think it’s a reasonable thing to do to go to Spain or France.
My wife often reminds me of a Chris Whitty quote “people who break the rules are mainly doing so outside”. I confess to occasionally breaking the rules outside but I don’t think a single person has been inside our house for 12 months. I see camping with my household as being relatively safe.

There are epidemiological reasons why a virus ‘wants’ to become more contagious and less lethal. Whilst I wouldn’t want to spread the virus around, I think the demon strain narrative is a little tenuous. Viruses have no benefit from becoming more deadly as it stops them spreading.
In 16 weeks time my wife and I will decide if we think it’s a reasonable thing to do to go to Spain or France.
My wife often reminds me of a Chris Whitty quote “people who break the rules are mainly doing so outside”. I confess to occasionally breaking the rules outside but I don’t think a single person has been inside our house for 12 months. I see camping with my household as being relatively safe.
I agree but the virus in europe is not likely to get much better over the next few of months. and there role out is a lot slower.

Anyway !!

I agree but the virus in europe is not likely to get much better over the next few of months. and there role out is a lot slower.

Anyway !!
I think it’s looking unlikely we’re going tbh. But 16 weeks is a fair while. I dunno. I live for those 2 weeks every year. Today I’ve just put new bowls in the van and I’m looking for a new wok! It was such a fantastic release when we went last summer.

I think it’s looking unlikely we’re going tbh. But 16 weeks is a fair while. I dunno. I live for those 2 weeks every year. Today I’ve just put new bowls in the van and I’m looking for a new wok! It was such a fantastic release when we went last summer.
Some of the fun is getting the van ready, have you a plan B?

Have you looked at these.

Last edited:
I think we have a plan to go to Norfolk if all else fails. Lots of space, big beaches. But probably not camping.
4 of us in the Cali means we cook, eat and spend all the time outside. We only use the cooker to make coffee every morning. I think we’re still on our 2nd gas canister in 12 yrs. Needs to be warm. Shorts warm. Non UK warm!

Some of the fun is getting the van ready, have you a plan B?

Have you looked at these.

Ha! I’ve just ordered one. The length of the handle quickly became the deciding factor. It needs to fit in the Cali cupboard!

I think we have a plan to go to Norfolk if all else fails. Lots of space, big beaches. But probably not camping.
4 of us in the Cali means we cook, eat and spend all the time outside. We only use the cooker to make coffee every morning. I think we’re still on our 2nd gas canister in 12 yrs. Needs to be warm. Shorts warm. Non UK warm!
I'm normally in shorts from April till late September, looks like snow coming in towards the end of the week?

Do you actually think the French will forego their annual lemming pilgrimage to the South so they can all sit on top of each other on the Cote d'Azure. Everything will be as normal come July/August. They did it last year.

Do you actually think the French will forego their annual lemming pilgrimage to the South so they can all sit on top of each other on the Cote d'Azure. Everything will be as normal come July/August. They did it last year.
Haha, No, thats why its not good for us Brits to go.

We are planning a stress free summer, not going abroad!

Launch control is set, eye's on the lights.