Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good & Bad VW Dealers - We need your feedback!

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Maybe the misleading title could be edited to be more specific...
I am sure that Martin may consider this, but the last sentence of the OP does make it clear :D

Actionwave

Actionwave

Novice California Owner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Sorry about that, figured attitude of the place may be relevant ,... I will be more specific Had a 4 year SERVICE , new brakes, new cam belt and bike rack fitted at SMG Tonbridge, Very happy indeed and I spoke to the salesmen as well

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Sorry about that, figured attitude of the place may be relevant ,... I will be more specific Had a 4 year SERVICE , new brakes, new cam belt and bike rack fitted at SMG Tonbridge, Very happy indeed and I spoke to the salesmen as well
A general reminder, no one specifically and you are right, attitude is important.

One thing I do find interesting is just how many people are very pleased with the service experience and less pleased with the sales, and vice-versa. I have my vehicle serviced by a dealer further away than the one I bought from, and the one servicing has so far shown zero interest in selling me a replacement, again!

A lot speak highly of SMG Tunbridge, and it is SMG who service my vehicle, so might pop in.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Our Grace is back from VW Snows Plymouth after warranty repair to her wonky closing roof.
New motor installed ,all working well. Cali pristine inside & outside.

Had a free curtesy brand new T6 Highline (only few miles) for four days . Waved excess payment because longer job than anticipated.

Friendly helpful service from Andy .
Shouldn't charge any " Excess " payment as it was a warranty job.

calimera

calimera

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Shouldn't charge any " Excess " payment as it was a warranty job.
Didn’t explain correctly .
No excess for warranty repair.

It was for the courtesy car . If you don’t pay the excess wavier (only £ 15 ). If you have an accident the excess was something like £ 500.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Didn’t explain correctly .
No excess for warranty repair.

It was for the courtesy car . If you don’t pay the excess wavier (only £ 15 ). If you have an accident the excess was something like £ 500.
If the repair/replacement is authorised by VW as a Warranty Repair or Replacement then you should be offered a courtesy vehicle, at No Cost to you, fully comprehensively insured with £0 excess. If the Dealership charge for this then VWUK are obliged to pay.
This is Not the case for routine servicing or accident repairs.

calimera

calimera

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks for that.
We were not charged anything £0 . So all good.

normg

normg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Have my California booked in to Hawco VW Van Centre, Inverness on Monday 16 October for service, MOT and timing belt replacement. Will report here after the event with feedback.:thumb

Ady77

Ady77

VIP Member
Surely we need people to post on the servicing of the living area really as any van centre can do work on stuff under the bonnet.

My problems have always been when they needed to do work on the roof or a kitchen cupboard and you find that the mechanic has never seen a Cali before

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Surely we need people to post on the servicing of the living area really as any van centre can do work on stuff under the bonnet.
I have to disagree because yes any dealer can (should be able) do the van van work but great to have a full service and find you well loved camper van has been treated as it is a builders van esp on the inside have seen people complain of oil marks on roof header marks on trim and floor from dirty boots
reviews on all parts of van needed

Last edited:
Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
OK, thank you to everyone who has replied to this post, we have now found a way we can input this information all in one place.

If you CLICK HERE and scroll down to find your dealer and give a start rating followed by a review.
You must be logged into the forum to do this.
Was Clark Commercials Bilston (near Edinburgh) missed deliberately?

jeff

jeff

Home is where you park it !
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Would be really handy as you say anybody can do the mechanics . Looking for a dealer to do camping side of things.

Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I think Clark Commercials bought it but it's often still called the Edinburgh Van Centre.
Oh I see what you mean. Yes, Clark Commercials originated in Aberdeen and acquired the Bilston business some time ago. I collected my Cali from there three weeks ago.

Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion

VW California Club