Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good & Bad VW Dealers - We need your feedback!

daisyduke

daisyduke

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
That is good to know Mandy, thank you. We should also have Carrs Exester onboard as well, I have a meeting with them in a few weeks.
i brought from Bridgwater van centre but no idea about Cali ( always helpful though) so for first service took it to Exeter. All OK, wasn't offered valet/clean and none done. Had loan transporter kombi for the day. Ticked boxes nothing outstanding but also no issues. Didn't leave feeling they valued my business.

altvic

altvic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Two garages so far - Preston & Birmingham, both now part of Sansway chain.
All buying activity with Guy at Preston - very knowledgeable and stopped me making a few ordering mistakes (comfort seats, which don't swivel!)
A few little niggles sorted out with Preston, no issues.

Birmingham is about 1-hour closer, so opted for them when booking first service through the Swansway service line. They also had a list of some more niggles. Service desk personnel at Birmingham were friendly and helpful, but...
I had to take it back to sort out some poor finishing from the first visit, still not really resolved to my satisfaction.
I'll update this post depending on their response to my latest email... Let's see which camp they fall into?
I have a feeling I'll take the journey to Preston next time.
Our Ocean was bought from Guy at Preston. It was a demonstrator with 60 miles on and in absolute pristine condition and he removed from showroom into protective storage as soon as we had signed terms; Guy looks after his vans as if they were his own! He is very knowledgable and answered all our queries with depth and width - felt very confident in purchase.
Preston too far from home to deal with any future snagging list so will likely go to Llandudno Junction for service. Wrexham van centre is close by but not distributers of Campervans, they should be good for majority of general van issues; I took my Golf lease to Wxm for a service and I was pleased with their professional approach.

MrCaliMan

MrCaliMan

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I have always (since 2012) had 1st class service 5 star from Breeze in Totton (Southampton)I trust them with my van and feel they always care & respect it. They do not sale the California at Totton but over the years I have seen more and more Cali's in for work there. Not only have they serviced my van they have sorted a couple of Cali issues - stuck down bed and electric switch in rear. They always go out of the way to help, Derek Govey in the service department is the face I know and work with. They also open early and close late.

While a discount would be nice I would rather pay full price for 1st class service (my next 4 services are paid for up front) . Feel it is great to have a list "user" recommended VW garages
I have always said find a good dealer you trust is the most important part of Cali ownership.
Breeze in Poole are cool too :thumb

SLHT6PEARL

SLHT6PEARL

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Justin at listers Coventry is there designated Cali salesman he's great to deal with and very knowledgeable.

K

Knutty

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We are currently building a list of preffered VW Commercial dealers as the most common complaint we get is from people who take their Cali into a dealer and receive bad service or the service department will not be familiar with the VW California.

We already have a few dealers on board but we want to try and build up a nationwide network so all members will have a trusted dealer nearby.

Here is the plan:

- You tell us which dealers are good and which are bad
- The club will contact the dealers that get the best feedback
- We request from them a named point of contact within the service centre
- They have the option to offer a VIP discount of between 5-10% off servicing
- If they fail to offer good service and start to receive bad feedback, they will be removed from the list

The ones we have already spoken to were more than happy to offer the above so we hope the others will follow suit.

All we need now is your feedback please so we can start this database. ( Please remember we only want feedback on servicing and not sales )
Kk

K

Knutty

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, I would recommend the VW dealer in Liverpool, efficient and friendly. I have tried the Manchester Trafford park dealer but would not go back.

Knutty

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, I would recommend the VW dealer in Liverpool, efficient and friendly. I have tried the Manchester Trafford park dealer but would not go back.

Knutty
Liverpool even pay for your breakfast if you have travelled far :thumb

Lost Boy

Lost Boy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Cordwallis at Heathrow have been very good, by no means a Lifestyle dealer but for basic servicing and mechanical issues they have been excellent, they've also been good with my roof corrosion (van is in currently). i've been a few times but they know me by name now (even got breakfast bought for me once) always offering coffee etc. I'd recommend them.

On the other hand Lookers at Peasmarsh near Guildford are horrendous, never answer the phone have been hung up on several times and when asking a question about which oil to top up with was met with stunned faces...they had to go and check what they used and when they told me it didn't seemed to be VW 507 approved....needless to say, I don't get my servicing done there!

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Derek Govey in the service department is the face I know and work with
Agree. Poor Derek has had to put up with me for over a year now and we have a good rapport going. I have no issues with them servicing my vehicle and happy to recommend them.

The sales at Poole are however another matter.

Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I’ve just got my first Cali so haven’t had a service yet. However, I’d be interested to see what’s said about Clark Commercials at Bilston (Edinburgh), which is where I bought the vehicle. I’ve heard some good reports, met the service team and spoken to two of them in the last two days. They have a “California Expert” called Alan Winter. He’s also an auto electrician.

bangorlad

bangorlad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The service from North Wales Van Centre in Llandudno Junction has been very good since we bought our van off them. And there's a Mercedes dealer just across the road so you can check out the competition while your van is being fettled!
I posted good things about Llandudno Junctioin earlier in the year....

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-van-centre-llandudno-junction.18510/

Since then I've had a power steering failure while away which was fixed under DasWelt at JCT600 in Sheffield. Happened on a Friday and van was driven back to me in Bangor by the middle of the next week with a good top up of diesel. Never actually went into JCT600 as a courtesy car was delivered to me but the job was done in reasonable time (?) and no complaints.

Dropped into Llandudno Junction for a data plug the other day and Anthea in service told me JCT would have fitted a modded belt tensioner that is known to cause possible problems. I've no worries about their grasp of all things Cali and confident they know their stuff. And I know my dog will be well fussed over when I'm there....

Stewart

L

Lost in the Forest

VIP Member
I have always (since 2012) had 1st class service 5 star from Breeze in Totton (Southampton)I trust them with my van and feel they always care & respect it. They do not sale the California at Totton but over the years I have seen more and more Cali's in for work there. Not only have they serviced my van they have sorted a couple of Cali issues - stuck down bed and electric switch in rear. They always go out of the way to help, Derek Govey in the service department is the face I know and work with. They also open early and close late.

While a discount would be nice I would rather pay full price for 1st class service (my next 4 services are paid for up front) . Feel it is great to have a list "user" recommended VW garages
I have always said find a good dealer you trust is the most important part of Cali ownership.
I agree with this this post and recommend Derek as the Service Guy to talk with. He has built a friendly rapport with My Wife who has dealt with them on numerous warranty items over the past four years. Service items are dealt with efficiently and when they has a Cali specific problem (sorry can't remember which fault) they arranged efficiently for the groups "Cali expert" to come and fix. The loan vehicles are always interesting T6 panel vans or Caddies which my Wife likes to drive.

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Derek knows that I don't like the Caddies so will typically try and provide me with a T6 panel van.

He also knows that it will be driven home and left safely on the drive for the duration of the loan!

Stuart

Stuart

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’ve just got my first Cali so haven’t had a service yet. However, I’d be interested to see what’s said about Clark Commercials at Bilston (Edinburgh), which is where I bought the vehicle. I’ve heard some good reports, met the service team and spoken to two of them in the last two days. They have a “California Expert” called Alan Winter. He’s also an auto electrician.
I've had great service from them so far, and Alan has always been really helpful.

calimera

calimera

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our Grace is back from VW Snows Plymouth after warranty repair to her wonky closing roof.
New motor installed ,all working well. Cali pristine inside & outside.

Had a free curtesy brand new T6 Highline (only few miles) for four days . Waved excess payment because longer job than anticipated.

Friendly helpful service from Andy .

Last edited:
Jay20cali

Jay20cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our Ocean was bought from Guy at Preston. It was a demonstrator with 60 miles on and in absolute pristine condition and he removed from showroom into protective storage as soon as we had signed terms; Guy looks after his vans as if they were his own! He is very knowledgable and answered all our queries with depth and width - felt very confident in purchase.
Preston too far from home to deal with any future snagging list so will likely go to Llandudno Junction for service. Wrexham van centre is close by but not distributers of Campervans, they should be good for majority of general van issues; I took my Golf lease to Wxm for a service and I was pleased with their professional approach.
We have ordered ours with guy too..
Although I have not met him in person he seems like a nice clued up fella .i recognised your pic from our trip to Preston on guys day off.we sat in that van very nice interior

Actionwave

Actionwave

Novice California Owner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Went to beadles in Dartford, salesman didn't even bother getting out of his chair as I obviously couldn't afford a California, They are very expensive he said, long waiting list he said.................I ended up at SMG Tonbridge, very good Jay and the Guys done a great Job , very helpful....will go back but not too soon I hope :thumb

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Can I just remind everyone ..... (gently of course!)...

This thread specifically relates to the service experience, not the sales experience.

Thanks.

VW California Club