Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is a Beach a Campervan (Eurotunnel)

Makes me smile, when SE owners say the Beach isn't by definition a camper van they get lambasted but when it saves a few quid at the ferry terminal owners exclaim "no it's not a camper van more of a Caravelle or MPV". :talktothehand

Just tested a couple of bookings and the van and campervan are the same cost. So if the beach gets through as a car over 1.85m with a saving of £50 then you are in luck, but don't see how they haven't caught on to this..

Navigating the Eurotunnel pricing structure can be like cat and mouse.
For family holidays we have used them for over 10 years, with roof boxes ect.
For the last 8 years we have had T5/T5.1/T6.
I checked our crossing costs for next week £81, £121 rtn 12 days later. Both crossings classed as peak.
We had a late booking at May half term and the same crossings cost over £290 ! but were booked 3 weeks b4.

I checked our crossing costs for next week £81, £121 rtn 12 days later. Both crossings classed as peak.
Did you book recently or well in advance to get these prices?

A few days after pickng up the Beach in April. Next year I will pay up front for frequent traveller.

Makes me smile, when SE owners say the Beach isn't by definition a camper van they get lambasted but when it saves a few quid at the ferry terminal owners exclaim "no it's not a camper van more of a Caravelle or MPV". :talktothehand

We Beach owners like to have our cake and eat it...!!!
;)

A few days after pickng up the Beach in April. Next year I will pay up front for frequent traveller.

Be aware that the frequent traveller figures do not include for the camper van supplement so even though you have paid up front you still have a fee to pay each trip.

Be aware that the frequent traveller figures do not include for the camper van supplement so even though you have paid up front you still have a fee to pay each trip.

But Eurotunnel's definitions make it quite clear that if a vehicle has no cooking facilities it is not a campervan for the purposes of the campervan supplement.

But Eurotunnel's definitions make it quite clear that if a vehicle has no cooking facilities it is not a campervan for the purposes of the campervan supplement.
But the DVLA database classifies the Beach as a Campervan. Check your V5c when you get it. You will have to argue your case each time, by phone, if you use the online system including reg number.

But the DVLA database classifies the Beach as a Campervan. Check your V5c when you get it. You will have to argue your case each time, by phone, if you use the online system including reg number.

I understand that. It seems silly of Eurotunnel not to use DVLA's definition of a campervan, but it is a choice they are free to make, and I expect that it is far more hassle to them having Beach owners correct them on their overcharging than it is to Beach owners having to phone to have the campervan supplement removed.

I look forward to many conversations with Eurotunnel on this issue once my van is delivered.

Actually Euro tunnel do use the DVLAs definition of a camper van, - by the DVLA definition a beach is not a camper van & shouldn't be registered as one, the error is with the DVLA not Eurotunnel.

When the California SE first came out they were registered by DVLA as cars & there was a campaign by owners & dealers to get them registered as Motor Caravans as at the time the annual tax was something like £225 for a Motor Caravan and £425 for 4 motion registered as a car. If you got reclassified the current owner then received a tax refund dating back to first registration.

In my opinion a beach should be registered exactly the same as Caravelle - i.e. as a car.

The main reasons people try & get a converted VAN reclassified as a motor caravan is so that car speed limits apply and insurance is generally cheaper.

As a beach would be registered as a car there there doesn't seem to be any advantage.

Actually the ET website clause you refer might well be read the other way entirely.

It says: "Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities)."

I don't think the logician in Monty Python and the Holy Grail would agree that you can safely conclude that the absence of a cooker means they will consider it a non-campervan. I'd bet my last 1.14 euros that what they mean by "without limitation" is that having any item or items of living accommodation on (or not on) the list makes it a campervan. So even the table in a Beach would satisfy the condition: Vehicle has an item we regard as 'living accommodation', therefore = campervan.

And we used to blame the EU for banning curvy bananas? Them were the days!! (Sorry, wrong thread...) :embarrased :embarrased

It says: "Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities)."

The use of the word 'and' instead of 'or' makes the difference, not the inner parenthesis which sets no lower bound on the number of seats, tables, berths, cookers *or* storage.

Actually Euro tunnel do use the DVLAs definition of a camper van, - by the DVLA definition a beach is not a camper van & shouldn't be registered as one, the error is with the DVLA not Eurotunnel.

Yes - after looking at the DVLA website, I agree with you:
‘motor caravan’ means a special purposes passenger car constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:
• seats and table
• sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats
• cooking facilities
• storage facilities​
This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.​

It's not Forum members you have to convince it's Eurotunnel.

Yes - after looking at the DVLA website, I agree with you:
‘motor caravan’ means a special purposes passenger car constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:
• seats and table
• sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats
• cooking facilities
• storage facilities​
This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.​
And that's the problem. A clear definition that All Van Converters have to adhere to in order to get the Body Type Classification changed to " Motor Caravan " to take advantage of car speed limits and cheaper insurance. The Beach is registered by VW as a vehicle with body type " Motor Caravan " accepted for some reason by DVLA , but not accepted by some Insurance Companies, as some Forum members can attest to. Then you have ridiculous situation of owners going against this classification when booking ferries .
Maybe the Beach should have a new Body Type Classification " whatever you want ".

That is what I like so much about the Beach: seven seat MPV, family sleeping accommodation and two seat van.
So I presume you'll be getting DVLA to change the Body Type Classification on your V5c when you get your vehicle.

Each time we try to get a quote from Eurotunnel online it claims that we are not a 'Car over 1.85m' based on our registration plate, so we have to ring up the call centre and explain.

We cross the tunnel regularly with our Beach (from France to the UK and back) and always get away with the Car over 1.85m option. One thing you could try is to tell their booking site that you don't know your reg number (presumably an option for those who travel in a rental car) so you bypass the DVLA check. Then see what happens at the terminal. At worst they'll make you pay the supplement, at best they let you go...

Last edited:
Eurotunnel are not concerned if its a car or campervan with regards to sleeping quarters etc. What they are actually looking for is if the van has cooking facilities and as such they do some extra checks and have a few rules regarding gas storage/transportation.
Im always asked, do i have any gas bottles on the van. Which i answer no and i carry on as normal.
I believe with the Cali SE they will want to check your bottle and ensure it is properly isolated before you are allowed to board onto the train. Thus extra checks, extra man-power and therefore an extra charge.

Quite rightly so.

So if it wasn't for the SE's on board camping stove, you probably wouldn't occur the extra charge.

Back