Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just announced - T6 recall for roof corrosion beneath the seal

Is your early T6 subject to this recall / VW action

• Yes and tape applied as no corrosion found

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
The workshop action has two parts depending on what the factory have allocated due to the build date of the vehicle.1 the roof tape 2 a repair to the front roof section. This workshop action also includes some T5gp vehicles as well as T6. You will not get contacted about this as it is a workshop action and will be checked when you book your vehicle in for a repair or service. Also to clear up a point no we will not be supplied the special tool to fit the tape and will have to do it by hand.
So hopefully a recall to for T5 owners. Fingers crossed.

At the moment it’s some T5gp and T6 models but I suppose it all depends on how hard you guys push vw ;)
Mine is a 2015 model with the front section modification, so nearly a T6 lol.

Is this good news ??

Not in a rush to get this done until sure the VW dealers knows how & have the right skills to apply the tape. Will the dealers get training ?

We have 2016 T6 Ocean. We have resisted pulling off the elevating roof until a definite fix.

Last edited:
Is this good news ??
Not in a rush to get this done until sure the VW dealers knows how & have the right skills to apply the tape. Will the dealers get training ?

We have 2016 T6 Ocean. We have resisted pulling off the elevating roof until a definite fix.

No there will be no training only work instructions supplied for the tape and the roof repair if applicable is via an approved vw body shop

Any idea how you can find out if the factory mod was included as part of your build. Ours was first registered in July 2017

Any idea how you can find out if the factory mod was included as part of your build. Ours was first registered in July 2017

Phone your dealer as them to check if the workshop action is due on your vehicle if it’s not due then it’s ok

Phone your dealer as them to check if the workshop action is due on your vehicle if it’s not due then it’s ok
Hi VW guru, what is the course of action if corrosion is found during the recall inspection?

Very interesting post - thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing more. I have an early T6 without tape as well. Did they contact you about the recall or do you need to somehow need to know through the ether and contact them?
same here

Good afternoon,

I am a bit puzzled (and not so familiar with the process), but I thought an official recall means that all owner of that car / van with that particular issue will get a letter by Volkswagen to explain what is going on and invite them to visit the next VW dealer.

If there is a recall of the T6 roof corrosion, did somebody get the letter? What is the source of the official recall for the VW California T6?

Is is on the web page (UK)? I had no time to check this yet. If it is done in one country, I wonder if it is done in on country if it is also done in another country?

Regards,
Eberhard

Just booked my van in this morning for a diagnostic of my auxiliary heater and the van centre mentioned this corrosion prevention recall. They said they’d do that at the same time and apparently it takes at least two hours.
OK so if they take the seal off and find an issue do they just cover it or will it require further attention, we all know how VW kept changing the T5 fix

If there is a recall of the T6 roof corrosion, did somebody get the letter? What is the source of the official recall for the VW California T6?

Think you will find they are "actions" I had some of these before the dealer lets you know when the van is in for work something needs doing - a non urgent fix

Think you will find they are "actions" I had some of these before the dealer lets you know when the van is in for work something needs doing - a non urgent fix

Thank you for the info. So, the dealer should no if there is some work that needs to be done on the van.

Well, let's hope that all the dealers will do that. If it is only done if the owner asks for it...

Regards,
Eberhard

Warranty after repair?

My understanding is that the T6 just has the normal 3 year warranty for the paint corrosion (and not the extended offered to T5). Does anyone know, if VW apply the tape on a recall, how long the warranty on the "repair" will be?

I just contacted VW Ireland, gave them the VIN (chassis) number and got this info:

I can confirm that there are no outstanding recalls or campaigns for your California. As your vehicle was manufactured in 2017 it would not have been included in the roof campaign. this only related to previous production runs from 2014 and 2015

Hm, meaning for me to wait and see.

Regards,
Eberhard

I just contacted VW Ireland, gave them the VIN (chassis) number and got this info:

I can confirm that there are no outstanding recalls or campaigns for your California. As your vehicle was manufactured in 2017 it would not have been included in the roof campaign. this only related to previous production runs from 2014 and 2015

Hm, meaning for me to wait and see.

Regards,
Eberhard

What is your chassis number

Does anyone have a part no for the foil?

Hi VW guru, what is the course of action if corrosion is found during the recall inspection?

The vehicle is inspected by your dealership if no corrosion is found then the appropriate fouls are fitted if corrosion is found then the pictures are sent to vw and after authority from the manufacture is obtained then then it will be arranged for the vehicle to be shipped to an approved body shop for the repair work to be carried out.

OK so if they take the seal off and find an issue do they just cover it or will it require further attention, we all know how VW kept changing the T5 fix

I don’t know the answer, but common sense would dictate that they will only apply the tape if the is NO sign of corrosion.

There is no gain to the dealer to cover over the corrosion as it’s a VW recall, the dealer is just doing the work.

If the van has corrosion I would hope that they will undertake an approved repair, but hopefully it won’t come to that.

If the van gets corrosion after the recall fix then it proves the fix doesn’t work and we go again.

I was expecting to collect my Cali from the dealers today... Just had a phone call and told about the recall. Apparently if they find corrosion the van will be booked in for a repair before it gets worse (whatever that means).

I have removed the seal on our T6 myself and added the 3M tape recommended in another thread here. While doing that I discovered two things. The seal had a rusty breakthrough of the metal inside the seal. And the roof was starting to bubble on the front edge.

I documented with photos and mounted the tape. Then asked a dealership what to do, and if there was a new seal that fits better when the tape is mounted. I was told to contact another dealer and they would take it from there. I agreed on coming by with the car for inspection after summer was over. And the also told there was no other part number for the seal. On the Rømø meet, I just heard that there now is another seal to get.

I guess I am the first in Denmark to discover this issue on a T6, so I am quite excited to see how all is handled, but so far there was no problem.

Will book time for inspection soon, and keep you posted.

I am certain the solution with the tape can solve a great deal of the problems, at least until the tape gives up. But the real problem is the rust break thru in the seal and the sand and dirt between seal and roof collected over time.

M%ktL1KdTOC1iNIrrxQ1zQ.jpg
Paint starting to bubble on the front side. T6 2016.

zZuOXDWjRoqz6ha8wv2a2A.jpg
Metal Breakthru inside the seal. Causing the problem.

ReAJcX0ZQke7Dk28udjBbw.jpg
After 3M tape was mounted.

Its confusing that they call it a foil, made me think it was some sort of aluminium foil they intended to fit rather than the clear tape that has been fitted since 2017.
However I've already fitted the tape myself earlier this year, and unfortunately found corrosion, so I'm not sure what's going to happen when I take it for its first MOT next spring.