Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just announced - T6 recall for roof corrosion beneath the seal

Is your early T6 subject to this recall / VW action

• Yes and tape applied as no corrosion found

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
I have an early 2016 Beach. I haven't bothered looking under the seal and hadn't intended to do so until just before the end of the three year warrantee period expires next March. I didn't see any point because IMO it's early days for this roof fix and I'm not yet convinced that this foil application has cracked it. I didn't want to go poking around only to find corrosion which would have depressed me no end even though I know that it's probably there. I would then have had to demand that VW fixed it only to possibly end up with the same issue again just before the warrantee expires. I really couldn't be bothered with all that.

I'm glad that VW have now acknowledged this problem by recalling those vehicles without the foil. All foil less T6 vehicles will now hopefully be investigated officially without the need for owners to push for a satisfactory resolution. That has to be good outcome for all those affected although I'm certainly not looking forward to all the body shop hassle if corrosion is found. In my experience they can range from excellent right down to bloody awful.

As to whether the foil thing is a permanent fix remains to be seen. I'm not sure whether it's wise to do so but has anyone with a foil equipped vehicle checked under their seal recently? As removing it might cause damage to the foil it's probably best avoided but how then will we know if it's done the trick? If your feeling brave then I believe the foil is transparent so it should be possible to see if corrosion has started. Sorry to be doubting Thomas but we've seen these VW roof fixes before.

i still think if the metal strip breaks through the rubber and starts to rust it will penetrate the foil sorry 3m tape

GP is German shorthand for a big product change - Grosse Produkt wanderung (something like that anyway!)
As others have commented, a major facelift T5 to T5.1 as we have come to call it.
Thanks. To think I own a T5gp and never knew it.

Yours is an early one then. Pre the tape which was just after. Got mine in Jan 17 and just missed the tape “fix”

At least that’s what I’m assuming.

Mike

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Correct the tape fix started in production mid Jan 2017
The amazing thing is that the tape is still not automatically being used in the repair. My T5.1 was fixed in November with no sign of tape being used and I believe that this has also been the case with some T6 repairs. I wonder if mine will be recalled to have the tape fitted. I doubt it!

My late 2015 65-plate T6 is going in for it’s second service in a fortnight before we go to Italy - I’ll phone them tomorrow and make sure that it’s going to get taped-up ...

Thanks for the heads-up.

The amazing thing is that the tape is still not automatically being used in the repair. My T5.1 was fixed in November with no sign of tape being used and I believe that this has also been the case with some T6 repairs. I wonder if mine will be recalled to have the tape fitted. I doubt it!

Hi The only way you would know is to contact your dealer and ask them to check for outstanding campaigns against your chassis number. This is not a recall it is a workshop action meaning you will only be informed there is an outstanding recall against your vehicle if you book it in for service/ repair or contact your dealer and ask them to check.

My late 2015 65-plate T6 is going in for it’s second service in a fortnight before we go to Italy - I’ll phone them tomorrow and make sure that it’s going to get taped-up ...

Thanks for the heads-up.

It may not be that simple it would appear the parts are on back order at the moment and the repair itself may need to go over 2-3 days if corrosion is found on inspection if no corrosion is found then it will be a day job when the parts become available

It may not be that simple it would appear the parts are on back order at the moment and the repair itself may need to go over 2-3 days if corrosion is found on inspection if no corrosion is found then it will be a day job when the parts become available

Yep - got that. Obvs hoping that mine will be the latter, and whilst not good news that the foil tape is on back-order it’s better to have the info - thank you.

WORD OF WARNING...!!!

My 2012 Beach had the roof repair which is slightly different to this, however it went to an “authorised VW Body repair shop”.
When they say authorised, it’s sub-contracted out to the lowest bidder.
The work was a shambles and had to go back 3 times and still wasn’t fixed properly after the third attempt. I think I was without the van for 12 weeks in total last year.

I have since got rid of the van and changed into a 2017 model.

I would be very reluctant to allow VW to ferry my van off to the other end of the country for a roof/body work repair again...

WORD OF WARNING...!!!

My 2012 Beach had the roof repair which is slightly different to this, however it went to an “authorised VW Body repair shop”.
When they say authorised, it’s sub-contracted out to the lowest bidder.
The work was a shambles and had to go back 3 times and still wasn’t fixed properly after the third attempt. I think I was without the van for 12 weeks in total last year.

I have since got rid of the van and changed into a 2017 model.

I would be very reluctant to allow VW to ferry my van off to the other end of the country for a roof/body work repair again...

Hi if your vehicle is due the campaign and there is no corrosion it will be delt with by your local dealer.

You have my sympathy with the body shops a lot of the work I’ve seen has had to go back again however it’s not to the cheapest bidder as vw pay a set rate it goes to a body shop that meet the vw level the problem is they meet it for the audit then the standards drop.

Just back from dealers having had two unrelated issues fixed (one under warranty and the other a service issue) and had no mention of roof recall. I hadn’t seen this thread before I went, otherwise I would have asked. Mine’s March 2017.

Just back from dealers having had two unrelated issues fixed (one under warranty and the other a service issue) and had no mention of roof recall. I hadn’t seen this thread before I went, otherwise I would have asked. Mine’s March 2017.

Yours should have the tape already as post Jan 2017

Mike

VW have introduced a recall for the well documented issue of roof corrosion / paint bubbling below the seal. The roof will be inspected with the seal removed and if ok protective "foil" will be applied.
I dont have any info regarding what will happen If not ok but I will find out today / tomorrow as my van is being checked for this recall today.

So an update from today. I have collected the van and a clear tape has been applied all of way round the roof edge (as was expected) It is a very neat job and I wouldn't notice that it was there unless specifically looking for it. I am happy with the result.
I don't think this will last the lifetime of the van so in the interests of preventing this corrosion long term it will probably need to be done again in a few maybe several years time depending on periodic inspection but I am assuming that no corrosion to date means the wire inside the seal hasn't or wasn't exposed as other Cali owners have found and shared on this forum.