Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just announced - T6 recall for roof corrosion beneath the seal

Is your early T6 subject to this recall / VW action

• Yes and tape applied as no corrosion found

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
Our T6 Ocean, registered on Nov 30th 2015...

I just phoned dealer after seeing this thread (thanks for bringing this to our attention as VW clearly were not going to until we presented ourselves for our next service... when we would have been out of warranty!) and they have confirmed the workshop action notice to check for roof corrosion.

So, we are booked in for that on 29 November.

Our T6 Ocean, registered on Nov 30th 2015...

I just phoned dealer after seeing this thread (thanks for bringing this to our attention as VW clearly were not going to until we presented ourselves for our next service... when we would have been out of warranty!) and they have confirmed the workshop action notice to check for roof corrosion.

So, we are booked in for that on 29 November.
I went in to Breeze Totton today and they said that the workshop notice has now been removed by VW as dealers do not have the parts, 'tape' to fit to vans with no corrosion. They also told me that should any corrosion be found Marshalls of Reading are the approved body shop.

I went in to Breeze Totton today and they said that the workshop notice has now been removed by VW as dealers do not have the parts, 'tape' to fit to vans with no corrosion. They also told me that should any corrosion be found Marshalls of Reading are the approved body shop.

Hmmm, interesting. I am guessing if the workshop notice has actually been removed it would not have flagged up my vehicle needing attention when I phoned today...

My main dealer is Bury St Edmunds.

The campaign is still showing up on vehicles that will require the fix there is just no repair data available at this moment it time.

Sorry if this is a numpty question. What is an earlyT6? We are Nov 16.
Verity ours was registered same month and dealer has advised it is subject to the recall.

Hmmm, interesting. I am guessing if the workshop notice has actually been removed it would not have flagged up my vehicle needing attention when I phoned today...

Same as ours. I contacted them. They confirmed ours is subject to recall.

Well I would trust Bury, good dealership imo, see what they say when I call them about mine

My T6 went in this morning but alas the parts had not arrived from VW, so back again in a few weeks time...

VW have introduced a recall for the well documented issue of roof corrosion / paint bubbling below the seal. The roof will be inspected with the seal removed and if ok protective "foil" will be applied.
I dont have any info regarding what will happen If not ok but I will find out today / tomorrow as my van is being checked for this recall today.

[RSVP=26856]Click here to RSVP[/RSVP]
Can someone point me to the Url or so of the recall notice.

Can someone who knows, or who has a recent (2018) van confirm if the factory fitted tape now goes round the whole of the roof? I have a March 2017 van and on this, the tape has been applied down both sides and along the back edge of the elevating roof, but not along the front edge. Thanks!

Can someone who knows, or who has a recent (2018) van confirm if the factory fitted tape now goes round the whole of the roof? I have a March 2017 van and on this, the tape has been applied down both sides and along the back edge of the elevating roof, but not along the front edge. Thanks!
please read the whole thread, as @Vw guru has kindly, already explained the whole process.

Hi
I have an 18 plate T6, does anybody know if this fix already been applied at the factory or do I need to get my van at the dealership as well ?
Thanks

Hi The only way you would know is to contact your dealer and ask them to check for outstanding campaigns against your chassis number. This is not a recall it is a workshop action meaning you will only be informed there is an outstanding recall against your vehicle if you book it in for service/ repair or contact your dealer and ask them to check.
So if ours is still in the showroom ready for us to put it on the road this Friday, do I assume ours will be taped?

So if ours is still in the showroom ready for us to put it on the road this Friday, do I assume ours will be taped?

Yes yours will be taped it’s post January 2017 build date

I am not losing sleep on this one. our early T6 can be looked at when next serviced ETA around Christmas. Then VW can rap it as much tape and tinsel as they wish. The life is too short to rush in for this fix.

Yes yours will be taped it’s post January 2017 build date
If the new fix is to apply tape all the way round the edge of the elevating roof, then a post Jan '17 build date doesn't guarantee this has already been done. Mine was built in March '17 and tape was not applied to the front edge of the elevating roof, only the sides and rear. It sounds like later production included the front edge. It will be interesting to see if my dealer thinks my van requires this fix or not. Thanks to you and this forum I will be insisting that it does

The front edge definitely needs the tape, on my (2016) untaped roof I had corrosion and paint peeling under the seal of the front edge.

If the new fix is to apply tape all the way round the edge of the elevating roof, then a post Jan '17 build date doesn't guarantee this has already been done. Mine was built in March '17 and tape was not applied to the front edge of the elevating roof, only the sides and rear. It sounds like later production included the front edge. It will be interesting to see if my dealer thinks my van requires this fix or not. Thanks to you and this forum I will be insisting that it does

Hi @Sheffield10 unfortunatly that is something you would need to speak to vw customer care about, your dealer will only be able to carry out the work on the vehicles specified by Volkswagen AG according to build date. If the workshop action does not show up against your vehicle then your dealer cannot do anything about it.

Hi @Sheffield10 unfortunatly that is something you would need to speak to vw customer care about, your dealer will only be able to carry out the work on the vehicles specified by Volkswagen AG according to build date. If the workshop action does not show up against your vehicle then your dealer cannot do anything about it.

That makes absolute sense. Odd they didn’t go along the front.

Mike

Sorry. Didnt read the whole threat.
But what is the problem exactly? Has it got to do with the roof on a beach/ocean. I just bought a transporter - is it affected?
Sorry if this seems a stupid question but thanks

Sorry. Didnt read the whole threat.
But what is the problem exactly? Has it got to do with the roof on a beach/ocean. I just bought a transporter - is it affected?
Sorry if this seems a stupid question but thanks

It’s the raising roof part. All to do with reaction between different elements. It’s complicated.......

It’s no big deal and your transporter is fine.

Mike