• Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
JohnnyP

JohnnyP

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
VW have introduced a recall for the well documented issue of roof corrosion / paint bubbling below the seal. The roof will be inspected with the seal removed and if ok protective "foil" will be applied.
I dont have any info regarding what will happen If not ok but I will find out today / tomorrow as my van is being checked for this recall today.

Last edited:
Thanks for that JohnnyP at last VW have actually acknowledged that something is wrong with the roof on a T6 :thumb

It's good to see VW reacting so quicly to a fault as soon as it is identified to them, is it 6 years or more?

....wasn't there someone who always said the T6 eventualy got to suffer this corrosion on the roofedges ? alltough many did not belived it....he got some disagrrees and many did not want to check under theire seal . Seals will be pulled of quickly after reading this post ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I wonder if they plan to do the same for early T6s which didn't have the tape fitted

Very interesting post - thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing more. I have an early T6 without tape as well. Did they contact you about the recall or do you need to somehow need to know through the ether and contact them?
My first service is due shortly so will be interested to see if it's mentioned.

Very interesting post - thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing more. I have an early T6 without tape as well. Did they contact you about the recall or do you need to somehow need to know through the ether and contact them?
I think it will work like other recalls, if / when you book your vehicle in for a service, MOT or warranty work they check the VW system for recall notices. If a recall is relevant to you they will inform you of this prior to carrying out the work.
I am sure there has been a couple of recalls for the T6 already which worked this way (gear box cable rubbing rings a bell).

I would be prepared to contact a dealership directly about this aswell and arrange for the recall work to be done this way unless you have a service etc due soon.

I dropped my van at a dealership today for some warranty work to be done and they informed me of the recall and permission to apply the tape which will require the van to be kept at the dealership an extra day (while the tape is ordered / delivered). They described the tape as "foil"

Last edited:

I’m the same as you. I’ve got three rolls of tape ready and hadn’t got around to doing it. I’m normally pretty quick to get things done. Somewhere deep down I was reluctant to look. Result

Mike

I’m the same as you. I’ve got three rolls of tape ready and hadn’t got around to doing it. I’m normally pretty quick to get things done. Somewhere deep down I was reluctant to look. Result

Mike
By coincidence about 3 weeks ago (while having some other warranty work done) I had spoken to the dealership about doing exactly what this recall involves, inspecting the roof and if no signs of bubbling paint applying the factory fitted tape. The response wasn't good, they didn't agree that the dealership was responsible for fitting the tape which was a factory modification. They did agree to inspect the roof which I was going to arrange at my convenience.

They did acknowledge that 2 other Calis had been checked and corrosion was found but it was visible without removing the seal.

While doing the standard vehicle health check they did visually check the roof but without removing the seal and reported it was ok.

It says a lot about a company and it's reputation for poor service that I now regard this as fantastic news! Just wondering where the taping will be done? Not sure how it works with things like this - would a VW commercial dealer, when booked in for a service, have the facilities on site to do the taping or do you think it would need to go elsewhere (bodyshop)?

This is very good news. Firstly a recognition and some belief that the tape may prevent the problem. Better place than where we were.

Mike

By coincidence about 3 weeks ago (while having some other warranty work done) I had spoken to the dealership about doing exactly what this recall involves, inspecting the roof and if no signs of bubbling paint applying the factory fitted tape. The response wasn't good, they didn't agree that the dealership was responsible for fitting the tape which was a factory modification. They did agree to inspect the roof which I was going to arrange at my convenience.

They did acknowledge that 2 other Calis had been checked and corrosion was found but it was visible without removing the seal.

While doing the standard vehicle health check they did visually check the roof but without removing the seal and reported it was ok.
I presume this was before the recall though and if you have the same conversation now there is a recall it should have a better outcome?

It says a lot about a company and it's reputation for poor service that I now regard this as fantastic news! Just wondering where the taping will be done? Not sure how it works with things like this - would a VW commercial dealer, when booked in for a service, have the facilities on site to do the taping or do you think it would need to go elsewhere (bodyshop)?
I was informed that the dealership will order the tape overnight for fitment next day, no mention of a 3rd party being involved.

In the factory the tape is been put on by a special roller , a tool like a tape-dispenser but to hold in your hand . They just go arround the edges , takes a few minutes.
Guess they will be giving the dealers the tool to do it.

This is very good news. Firstly a recognition and some belief that the tape may prevent the problem. Better place than where we were.

Mike
The difference is before the recall the dealership were not prepared to cover the cost of the tape or fitting it, as a recall notice VW will cover the cost

Just booked my van in this morning for a diagnostic of my auxiliary heater and the van centre mentioned this corrosion prevention recall. They said they’d do that at the same time and apparently it takes at least two hours.

The difference is before the recall the dealership were not prepared to cover the cost of the tape or fitting it, as a recall notice VW will cover the cost

Precisely. VW issue not the dealers, which is quite right.

Mike

In the factory the tape is been put on by a special roller , a tool like a tape-dispenser but to hold in your hand . They just go arround the edges , takes a few minutes.
Guess they will be giving the dealers the tool to do it.
Hopefully the tool can be ordered with the tape

Precisely. VW issue not the dealers, which is quite right.

Mike
My naive expectation was that the dealership would apply the tape as part of good customer service especially as it is obviously good practice and could potentially avoid a costly (to VW) repair for roof corrosion later.

Its irrelevant now of course

My naive expectation was that the dealership would apply the tape as part of good customer service especially as it is obviously good practice and could potentially avoid a costly (to VW) repair for roof corrosion later.

I take the point but problem is they would then be the ones responsible. It’s a clear recall issue as they have taken action by applying the tape since start of 2017 to prevent a problem. Most dealerships could do is push VW by providing evidence.

Mike

I take the point but problem is they would then be the ones responsible. It’s a clear recall issue as they have taken action by applying the tape since start of 2017 to prevent a problem. Most dealerships could do is push VW by providing evidence.

Mike
I agree and I can see the dealerships perspective but I thought it was a reasonable request to make. I wasn't surprised by the response but disappointed

The workshop action has two parts depending on what the factory have allocated due to the build date of the vehicle.1 the roof tape 2 a repair to the front roof section. This workshop action also includes some T5gp vehicles as well as T6. You will not get contacted about this as it is a workshop action and will be checked when you book your vehicle in for a repair or service. Also to clear up a point no we will not be supplied the special tool to fit the tape and will have to do it by hand.