Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just announced - T6 recall for roof corrosion beneath the seal

Is your early T6 subject to this recall / VW action

• Yes and tape applied as no corrosion found

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
I’d be interested in getting a roll to protect Doris’s paintwork, assume after paintwork is cleaned, polished etc simply apply with a help of a hair dryer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean with paint with IPA before fitting, ( lint free cloth) to remove wax etc, then apply the tape by peeling a short piece of the backing of whilst smoothing into position with a squeege or plastic card, to avoid bubbles, hair dryer works to make the tape more pliable and allows contours to be followed and assists in removing any niggling bubbles

Hi John,
Helicopter tape is a clear tape produced by 3m, [...]

VW used to list 30mm wide protective tape produced by 3M, with part number AKL 448 030 05. I bought some a couple or so years ago. It was used, for example, to protect the paint around the body shell door cut outs from being damaged by the door seals on my VR6 Corrado. Some photos attached. Looks very similar to the tape used on the roof recall repairs. Might be worth a call to a local VW parts department.

IMG_0132.JPGIMG_0133.JPG

I’ve just about managed to pick myself back up :Dwho ever did that should be ashamed of themselves. :headbang

Now that's the sort of response I want to hear! Happy to report, for the second time, that my roof has no corrosion and I'm confident that this time it has been taped by the guys at Breeze.

Clean with paint with IPA before fitting, ( lint free cloth) to remove wax etc, then apply the tape by peeling a short piece of the backing of whilst smoothing into position with a squeege or plastic card, to avoid bubbles, hair dryer works to make the tape more pliable and allows contours to be followed and assists in removing any niggling bubbles

Thanks for info and reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time Cleaning the roof seal today on an 18 plate Cali Beach, the tape has been applied to three sides of the roof. (Not the front edge)
On close inspection of one of the rear corners it is evident the ferrous metal frame of the seal is rusting and breaking through the thin rubber moulding quite high up on the seal, where the remedial tape does not extend to!
I intend to contact VW service department to arrange for a new seal to be fitted.

Whilst the seal was off I applied a small additional strip of helicopter tape to prevent the rust patch making contact with the painted roof panel and causing the dreaded roof rot.

View attachment 47181

View attachment 47182

View attachment 47183

View attachment 47184

View attachment 47185
Cali goes into Citygate Wooburn Green on Monday for the new roof seal and a few minor trim issues.
I will report back on my experiences with dealer and seal, inspection of the roof, recalls etc.as this will be my first contact with the Garage since purchase.

Hi @Bramco as of the workshop action (recall) the instructions are the same for body shops and workshops the only difference is if the corrosion has traveled above the level of the seal then we have have to send the vehicle to an approved body shop to have a smart repair carrier out on that section of roof. If it’s below the seal level then the repair work is carried out by your dealer in there workshop. Neither the body shop or dealers are being instructed to bond the seal as that has been removed from the work instructions. Once the paint repair is carried out either by the dealer or the body shop then the foil (tape) must be installed, the roof seal must then be inspected if the seal is ok and not rusting or rubber broken it must be refitted if the seal has problems then it must be replaced. To be honest nearly every seal I’ve seen is split and having to be replaced I think I’ve only refitted one in the whole time I’ve been carrying out this repair.
HI @VW Guru my van went in today to have the rubber roof seal changed, despite me having booked this in advance and telling the dealership exactly what the problem was I.e the rubber seal has failed and rusty steel is showing through.
The dealer does not seem to understand that the roof has no corrosion and therefore they can’t understad why the roof seal should be changed ! I quote “we are scratching our heads”
Are you able to provide the details of the workshop action requirements regarding the rubber seal replacement, so I can point them in the right direction.
The lack of knowledge regarding the rubber seal issues is a bit worrying (this is a large multi franchised dealer)

HI @VW Guru my van went in today to have the rubber roof seal changed, despite me having booked this in advance and telling the dealership exactly what the problem was I.e the rubber seal has failed and rusty steel is showing through.
The dealer does not seem to understand that the roof has no corrosion and therefore they can’t understad why the roof seal should be changed ! I quote “we are scratching our heads”
Are you able to provide the details of the workshop action requirements regarding the rubber seal replacement, so I can point them in the right direction.
The lack of knowledge regarding the rubber seal issues is a bit worrying (this is a large multi franchised dealer)

hi @Perfectos yes I can I will give you the details I can in the morning when I’m back at work

Volkswagen had put out a so-called "Action" for all authenticated dealers. That means the process is on their computer. The procedure here (In Denmark) is to control the roof and seal for damage. If no damage appears, the tape is applied to the edge of the roof and a new seal mounted. If the roof has corrosion this has to be solved before the tape/seal procedure is done.

Has anyone any idea what the tape is supposed to do? Surely if you have paint blistering it’s too late and of coarse not every California with an Aluminium roof has these problems. I’ve had my roof done because of the paint blistering and it now has a new seal STUCK in place.

Has anyone any idea what the tape is supposed to do? Surely if you have paint blistering it’s too late and of coarse not every California with an Aluminium roof has these problems. I’ve had my roof done because of the paint blistering and it now has a new seal STUCK in place.

The tape has (must only) be applied to the roof if there is no sign of corrosion.

The tape creates a barrier between the seal and the paint. Protecting the paint from damage due to a breaking seal (rust from the internal metal clips) or sediments (sand, dust, etc.) trapped between the seal and the tape.

How long the tape can withstand there is no evidence on so far. But it is still easier to apply new tape that repair the roof. So, in my opinion, the tape should be inspected regularly. But I have not heard if that is part of the VW service program.

All T5s from 2010. Only relates to Galvanic Corrosion on the Elevating Roof beneath the steel reinforced rubber seal around the edge.

Absolutely Nothing to do with the fixed Roof Section above the windscreen.
Not true, about 40% of roof corrosion cases (like mine) involve the front section which is also aluminum. In cases where the front section is affected, VW agencies are not allowed to do the repair. VW has authorized outside body shops to do this work according to VW specifications. This consists of fitting a new plastic front section over the original aluminum piece, covering up but not solving the problem.

Not true, about 40% of roof corrosion cases (like mine) involve the front section which is also aluminum. In cases where the front section is affected, VW agencies are not allowed to do the repair. VW has authorized outside body shops to do this work according to VW specifications. This consists of fitting a new plastic front section over the original aluminum piece, covering up but not solving the problem.
I think you should do a little reading before jumping in with both feet on the wrong thread.

This Thread is relating to the T6 and the corrosion around the Elevating Roof under the Rubber Seal.

On the T5 there are 2 x problems:

1. Corrosion under the seal of the Elevating Roof, same as on the T6

2. Corrosion on the Front Roof Panel above the windscreen, apparently fixed for MY 2015 with a change in the alloy composition. This involves a significant repair. Originally replacing the panel but now putting a plastic cap on after treatment.

And if you don't wish to read all 300 + pages about the T5 Corrosion then here are the abridged facts.

Last edited:
We were talking about the present Workshop Recall that refers to the Corrosion under the Rubber Seal around the elevating roof section. This applies to all T5 and T6 vehicles up until about 2017/18 when they started fitting it in the factory.

The Corrosion on the Front Roof Panel above the Windscreen has never been the subject of any form of Recall BUT has had an extension of the 3 yr warranty attached to it Making it 6 yrs.

Please get your Facts correct and post comments in the CORRECT Thread.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
We were talking about the present Workshop Recall that refers to the Corrosion under the Rubber Seal around the elevating roof section. This applies to all T5 and T6 vehicles up until about 2017/18 when they started fitting it in the factory.

The Corrosion on the Front Roof Panel above the Windscreen has never been the subject of any form of Recall BUT has had an extension of the 3 yr warranty attached to it Making it 6 yrs.

Please get your Facts correct and post comments in the CORRECT Thread.
Thanks for calling the attention to forum members with the above links to the fact that the recent T6 roof recall is simply an extension to the original work order which included T5/T6 from 2010, including front panel corrosion from 2010 to 2015. I assume our goal is to inform forum members.

As you are aware, all repairs relating to the front panel section of the California roof are covered by our paint warranty policy, not body protection warranty. While we recognise issues relating to roof corrosion, it is not as a result of through-corrosion of the aluminium panel. As such, repairs are covered by the three year paint warranty policy. In an effort to offer our customers peace of mind, we took the decision to offer an additional 3 years goodwill, extending the terms of the protection from three years to six.
Following your most recent correspondence, we have again conducted a thorough review of the goodwill terms with our colleagues at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles HQ in Hannover. As a result, I can now confirm that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will extend the terms of the goodwill to cover the entire roof panel. Any cases of roof corrosion to the main roof panel will now also be covered under our good will policy for up to six years.
This enhanced support is linked to the individual Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and is therefore transferable upon sale of the vehicle.
We will be notifying our Van Centres of this additional enhancement. I would ask that you encourage any of your members who may be affected by this issue to visit their nearest Van Centre so that their vehicle may be assessed …………”

Last edited:
Thanks for calling the attention to forum members with the above links to the fact that the recent T6 roof recall is simply an extension to the original work order which included T5/T6 from 2010, including front panel corrosion from 2010 to 2015. I assume our goal is to inform forum members.

As you are aware, all repairs relating to the front panel section of the California roof are covered by our paint warranty policy, not body protection warranty. While we recognise issues relating to roof corrosion, it is not as a result of through-corrosion of the aluminium panel. As such, repairs are covered by the three year paint warranty policy. In an effort to offer our customers peace of mind, we took the decision to offer an additional 3 years goodwill, extending the terms of the protection from three years to six.
Following your most recent correspondence, we have again conducted a thorough review of the goodwill terms with our colleagues at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles HQ in Hannover. As a result, I can now confirm that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will extend the terms of the goodwill to cover the entire roof panel. Any cases of roof corrosion to the main roof panel will now also be covered under our good will policy for up to six years.
This enhanced support is linked to the individual Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and is therefore transferable upon sale of the vehicle.
We will be notifying our Van Centres of this additional enhancement. I would ask that you encourage any of your members who may be affected by this issue to visit their nearest Van Centre so that their vehicle may be assessed …………”
The quote you mentioned is correct for the T5 but has never been extended, to my knowledge, to the T6. This present Workshop Recall covers ALL Californias made since 2010 up until about 2017 when new T6's had the work carried out at the Factory.
All vehicles, even those that have had a repair carried out under the 6 yr extension, are eligible. The Elevating roof seal is removed, the edge cleaned and if no corrosion is detected a clear tape/foil applied to the edge and the seal replaced. If corrosion is detected then it is repaired locally by rubbing down and applying a special primer etc:. The tape then applied and the seal replaced.
The jury is out on whether this remedial action works longterm.
As far as I am aware there is No Warranty extension to this work for T5 owners and only the standard 3 yrs for T6 owners. T5 owners will be able to claim if corrosion appears after the tape is applied under the 6 yr Goodwill gesture by VW, but that will run out in 2020/11. T6 owners might be unlucky as the 3 yr Warranty has already run out on early T6's unless they have a warranty extension.

Mine is 18 Reg (July 18) T6,
Does anyone know when VW started fitting the tape in the factory?

Mine is 18 Reg (July 18) T6,
Does anyone know when VW started fitting the tape in the factory?
Mid 2017, but the easiest way is just check yourself. Open roof and just pull down on the seal and you should see the tape.

First time Cleaning the roof seal today on an 18 plate Cali Beach, the tape has been applied to three sides of the roof. (Not the front edge)
On close inspection of one of the rear corners it is evident the ferrous metal frame of the seal is rusting and breaking through the thin rubber moulding quite high up on the seal, where the remedial tape does not extend to!
I intend to contact VW service department to arrange for a new seal to be fitted.

Whilst the seal was off I applied a small additional strip of helicopter tape to prevent the rust patch making contact with the painted roof panel and causing the dreaded roof rot.

View attachment 47181

View attachment 47182

View attachment 47183

View attachment 47184

View attachment 47185
So update: van has been into the dealers, pre booked and told them about the faulty roof seal rubber. Despite explaining the issue and remedial measure required at the time of booking and reconfirming via email on the same day as the telephone booking was made, the Dealers service department hadn’t heard of the rubber rusting issue before Ever ! Therefore they had not ordered the replacement seal when my vehicle was delivered to them !

Dealer also stated that my van was not subject to the roof tape recall, Which I agreed with and pointed out that the failure of the rubber seal was not a recall issue it was a “workshop action issue” i.e if seal is found to be faulty, it must be replaced.

My Cali is a 2018 registration with factory tape applied to side and rear edge of the roof (not the front leading edge)

Dealers service department representative knew nothing about the rubber seal causing the bi metallic corrosion or it being a recognised warranty issue and workshop action requirement, despite VW formal release and specific instruction to dealers to replace any damaged rubber roof seals. Slightly worrying ?

The applicable Workshop action is 75A1 states that if the roof frame seal has damage such as corrosion or cracks then it should be replaced. Even if your vehicle is not due the workshop action and the seal has corrosion then it is a warrantable item and should therefore be replaced.

To cut a very long storey short (three days without my Cali) and with the help of a faithful Forum member, I was able to persuade the service advisor the requirement for the “workshop action” that required the rubber seal be replaced to prevent a seriously costly roof repair in future. ( under warranty)

New rubber seal now fitted.
Full Roof inspection showed no sign of roof corrosion, thankfully
The reason for the original post and the update is to highlight this potential issue, which left undetected may (will) cause roof rot & to keep the thread active for new members.
I checked mine roof rubber after 1 year at which stage I was amazed at the dirt under the seal, I was able to clearly see the rust showing through the rear corner of the rubber, once it has been removed (in section) from the roof, to allow inspection and cleaning of the roof line under the rubber seal.

Do not assume the failure of the roof edge rubber seal issue is older vans only - Get out at the weekend and check your vans even if it’s a new reg van, then make it a part of your periodic check and clean.

If you see any degradation in the seal where cracks, metal or rust colour staining of the rubber seal roof are evident, get the seal changed under warranty.

I was told that the factory applied remedial tape is not applied to the front leading edge of the roof,

My California is in for some warranty work and part of this is "corrosion" under the seal. They checked it when in for a routine service a few weeks ago. Long story short, getting the blemish under the seal repaired and a new seal and tape fitted tomorrow or early next week. Depends when the EGR is finished.

Lookers Newcastle so far they've kept me updated daily. Expect a call tomorrow find out progress.

So update: van has been into the dealers, pre booked and told them about the faulty roof seal rubber. Despite explaining the issue and remedial measure required at the time of booking and reconfirming via email on the same day as the telephone booking was made, the Dealers service department hadn’t heard of the rubber rusting issue before Ever ! Therefore they had not ordered the replacement seal when my vehicle was delivered to them !

Dealer also stated that my van was not subject to the roof tape recall, Which I agreed with and pointed out that the failure of the rubber seal was not a recall issue it was a “workshop action issue” i.e if seal is found to be faulty, it must be replaced.

My Cali is a 2018 registration with factory tape applied to side and rear edge of the roof (not the front leading edge)

Dealers service department representative knew nothing about the rubber seal causing the bi metallic corrosion or it being a recognised warranty issue and workshop action requirement, despite VW formal release and specific instruction to dealers to replace any damaged rubber roof seals. Slightly worrying ?

The applicable Workshop action is 75A1 states that if the roof frame seal has damage such as corrosion or cracks then it should be replaced. Even if your vehicle is not due the workshop action and the seal has corrosion then it is a warrantable item and should therefore be replaced.

To cut a very long storey short (three days without my Cali) and with the help of a faithful Forum member, I was able to persuade the service advisor the requirement for the “workshop action” that required the rubber seal be replaced to prevent a seriously costly roof repair in future. ( under warranty)

New rubber seal now fitted.
Full Roof inspection showed no sign of roof corrosion, thankfully
The reason for the original post and the update is to highlight this potential issue, which left undetected may (will) cause roof rot & to keep the thread active for new members.
I checked mine roof rubber after 1 year at which stage I was amazed at the dirt under the seal, I was able to clearly see the rust showing through the rear corner of the rubber, once it has been removed (in section) from the roof, to allow inspection and cleaning of the roof line under the rubber seal.

Do not assume the failure of the roof edge rubber seal issue is older vans only - Get out at the weekend and check your vans even if it’s a new reg van, then make it a part of your periodic check and clean.

If you see any degradation in the seal where cracks, metal or rust colour staining of the rubber seal roof are evident, get the seal changed under warranty.

I was told that the factory applied remedial tape is not applied to the front leading edge of the roof,
Seal #2 has now failed

checking the roof today and cleaning the rubber seal and roof edge / tape to both sides and the back.
all was good until I removed the front section. (no tape applied to the front section of the roof as is normal)
I noted a very small section of paint on the front edge under the seal had been rubbed down to the metal ! ( aluminium roof) on closer inspection the rubber seal has rust showing in the reinforcing in the corresponding spot.
! primed and colour coat applied, then applied some clear tape to prevent the steel (rust) from touching the aluminium roof Which is known to cause the bi metallic reaction.
van will go back to the dealer for another roof seal Under Workshop action is 75A1

Not good after 3.5 years, original seal replaced after 1 year !

please make sure you check your roof seal carefully, even on a new vehicle clean and check the seal and the roof to prevent / catch any issue as early as possible

I will report after the seal is replaced, clearly the front of the roof should have tape applied.

two photos show the failed seal

080209B7-5041-4F71-98F9-01AE0FBA7DD6.jpeg

0A887CB5-F0EE-4A63-B331-AA8A879EF9C7.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder why the tape is not fitted on the front edge?

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com
I have a 2014 Cali, when I discovered the blistering under the roof seal there was none at all on the leading edge, my view is that is because there is no pounding water in this area so no galvanic action can occur. The side and rear edges have a U shape profile that holds water and causes the problem.

Does anyone know the part number of the remedial roof tape applied by VW

Having had a second seal fail at the front where no tape is applied, I want to put some tape on the front lip (currently not applied at the factory) clearly there is a potential for future issues on the front of the roof and IMO tape should be applied at the factory to all edges of the roof (not just two sides and rear)

if any can post the part number for the VW remedial tape I would appreciate it

try this
Agree with you about tape fitted to the front edge. VW should fit it at point of manufacture.