Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lockdown

I don't buy into that frenzy too, but i need a new MacBook air
or pro 13 inch, they look the same size and weight now so might
go for a pro.
If you have family member at school / uni you can get the education discount I think that’s about 10% also were doing things like free beats headphones for students. I didn’t as mine was for company use & will be reclaiming VAT etc

Not sure if it’s still applicable but if you know somebody who works for Cisco they might be able to get you a 10% discount.

If you have family member at school / uni you can get the education discount I think that’s about 10% also were doing things like free beats headphones for students. I didn’t as mine was for company use & will be reclaiming VAT etc
I'm on the VAT back too so that isn't better for me.

I ended up with a new 27” Mac as well so it was an expensive week. Old one is a 2013 model & now looking how to add it as a second display.

Once Microsoft started doing office for macs there was no way I was going back to one of those virus ridden lumps that runs windows. They all seem to need a big box as well as the screen & need replacing every year or so.

If I can’t work because the computers crashed / got a virus I don’t get paid. A Mac with a time machine as back up has done me nearly 7 years without a single virus or hardware problem, makes it good value in the long run.

Shame really after all his helpful posts and years of paying for VIP membership ......... oh hang on a minute was thinking of someone else.
I don’t recall it being a requirement to pay for VIP membership nor agree with you Andy. But you seem to have an issue with the latter. Ah, Bless.

I don't buy into that frenzy too, but i need a new MacBook air
or pro 13 inch, they look the same size and weight now so might
go for a pro.
There is an Apple event on the 10th of November, they are likely to launch big updates to all MacBooks, maybe hang around until after then, when you can decide if you want the latest model or maybe pick up a old model a bit cheaper. Watch out for some retailers, like pc world, who will try sell you the old model at full price.

Picked one up from John Lewis.

expensive month. My 7 yr old iMac packed up. Mind you it hasn’t been switched off for 7 yrs. New one up and running within 6 hrs courtesy of Time Machine.
Strange that isn't it, my late 2013 iMac has decided it doesn't like being on 24/7 and has decided to restart 2 or 3 times a day for. no apparent reason. I think it is called an Apple time bomb?

Once Microsoft started doing office for macs there was no way I was going back to one of those virus ridden lumps that runs windows. They all seem to need a big box as well as the screen & need replacing every year or so.

If I can’t work because the computers crashed / got a virus I don’t get paid. A Mac with a time machine as back up has done me nearly 7 years without a single virus or hardware problem, makes it good value in the long run.

Windows has changed a lot in recent years and the virus issues have pretty much fallen away (in my experience anyway). There's less to choose these days between Windows and Mac I think. Do Macs last longer in terms of being better built? Not sure, although there certainly is a lot of rubbish out there in the form of cheap Windows machines that will probably only give you a couple of years before something important drops off. I stick to Thinkpads which are well-built provided you steer clear of their budget-priced lines. I think you get what you pay for, to a great extent.

Strange that isn't it, my late 2013 iMac has decided it doesn't like being on 24/7 and has decided to restart 2 or 3 times a day for. no apparent reason. I think it is called an Apple time bomb?
Ours was in the Kitchen, on 24./7 with nighttime automatic restart. Used as a Internet radio, TV with a digital TV Dongle, my photo hobby, zoom, Skype, games you name it. Then it started dropping the external HDs and reconnecting them. Then one day nothing. So replaced. My son, It guru of the family, is going to look at it as he fixed the 24" iMac we had before that was 8 yrs old that had a failed HD.
Got the 21" this time. Now fully 64bit. Easy to set up with time machine and works well with the 9 terabytes of external HDs.

I had a fab 27" iMac for 7 long years and it worked almost flawlessly until the HD packed up but once swapped it was tiptop again. Best 'computer' I've ever owned. It never felt slow despite being used everyday for 7+hours each Mon-Fri. Despite the large outlay I'd always recommend one.

Only reason I got rid was because I needed something ultra portable and Apple dont do a proper computer OS in tablet form. A real shame, so opted for a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and latterly and as a lockdown upgrade, a Surface Pro 7. Both brilliant little machines although I just know that if Apple stuck MacOS onto a tablet thats what I'd have.

Unfortunately, about six weeks into the lock down a long standing grumbling knee issue put pay to my daily walks in our glorious ancient local woods. It's a shame as I've always enjoyed taking long walks but if I were to do one now it would pay me back with interest during the night. No point in seeing the doctor either as they've all gone to ground.

So with good weather, no visitors and almost no outings, for once I had the uninterupted time to get on with finishing the Red Lion. This garden pub shed project had taken me seven years on and off to get to the almost finished stage so the lock down enabled us to complete it properly.

I've just written my second lock down 30 item jobs list. Number one is change the oil and filter on our Cali. So I must get on........

Unfortunately, about six weeks into the lock down a long standing grumbling knee issue put pay to my daily walks in our glorious ancient local woods. It's a shame as I've always enjoyed taking long walks but if I were to do one now it would pay me back with interest during the night. No point in seeing the doctor either as they've all gone to ground.

So with good weather, no visitors and almost no outings, for once I had the uninterupted time to get on with finishing the Red Lion. This garden pub shed project had taken me seven years on and off to get to the almost finished stage so the lock down enabled us to complete it properly.

I've just written my second lock down 30 item jobs list. Number one is change the oil and filter on our Cali. So I must get on........
Love to see the Red Lion. I've got a 'pub' in my cellar.

A grumbling knee isn't going to like crawling under your Cali during the oil change.

Try a Neoprene material Knee support or a Patella support. Works wonders for my Knee combined with gentle cycling. If you avoid exercise the muscles weaken and it gets worse. As long as it doesn't lockup, keep moving. :thumb

A grumbling knee isn't going to like crawling under your Cali during the oil change.
I drive the vehicle up onto ramps then use a vacuum pump to suck most of the oil out. Releasing the sump plug and oil filter does involve getting underneath but getting back up again is slightly more of a challenge. Still it's done now.
20201106_120919.jpg

Last edited:
Try a Neoprene material Knee support or a Patella support. Works wonders for my Knee combined with gentle cycling. If you avoid exercise the muscles weaken and it gets worse. As long as it doesn't lockup, keep moving. :thumb
Thanks WG,
I'm wearing knee supports as I write this. I also have a special pillow thingy for use in bed at night which helps a lot. I will re-commence our daily walks and see how I get on. :thumb

I had a fab 27" iMac for 7 long years and it worked almost flawlessly until the HD packed up but once swapped it was tiptop again. Best 'computer' I've ever owned. It never felt slow despite being used everyday for 7+hours each Mon-Fri. Despite the large outlay I'd always recommend one.

Only reason I got rid was because I needed something ultra portable and Apple dont do a proper computer OS in tablet form. A real shame, so opted for a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and latterly and as a lockdown upgrade, a Surface Pro 7. Both brilliant little machines although I just know that if Apple stuck MacOS onto a tablet thats what I'd have.
It is definitely a great machine, considering getting another but just a bit unsure when, it isn’t any slower than when I bought it but just the persistent restarting is annoying. Not supported this year for the OS update which is a hint from Apple to get new one.
There is talk of a change shortly moving away from intel chips, there is a launch next week so maybe an indication of things to come.

Thanks WG,
I'm wearing knee supports as I write this. I also have a special pillow thingy for use in bed at night which helps a lot. I will re-commence our daily walks and see how I get on. :thumb
Take it gently But Keep Moving.
Simple pain killers at night help a lot. Paracetamol or Ibuprofen with a tot at bedtime. A good sleep helps a lot. But avoid during the day.

I drive vehicle up onto ramps then use a vacuum pump to suck most of the oil out. Releasing the sump plug and oil filter does involve getting underneath but getting back up again is slightly more of a challenge. Still it's done now.
View attachment 68900
Whats th interesting machine behind the cali?

Love to see the Red Lion. I've got a 'pub' in my cellar.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Here are some snaps:
20200609_103219.jpg
This is our eldest in the Red Lion eight years ago. He had asked if we could use my then new workshop as a pub for his daughters christening. He brews his own beer. Unfortunately, it proved so popular that I was told it had to stay as a pub. Why the Red Lion? Because I met my present wife in the Red Lion, Stodmarsh, forty eight years ago. She was the landlords daughter.
Here it is now, finished all bar some seat covers (not my department):
20200531_203117.jpg
20201106_150001.jpg
20201106_145542.jpg
The last count was twenty six different gins!!!
20201106_145010.jpg
And thirteen different single malts.
20201106_144542.jpg20200603_130559.jpg20200531_143638.jpg20200531_120413.jpg20200510_165855.jpg
Now here's the thing; neither of us really drink that much. Unless we are with friends or relatives, a small tumbler of red once a week is about as much as we normally have with the odd G and T very occasionally. However that's not the point. This pub shed has proved to be very popular indeed and gets used much more than a workshop ever would. Everyone loves it. So much so that two of our offspring are now building their own as have two of my old chums who have imbibed in the Red Lion.

If it wasn't for the lock down I doubt if it would have been finished for another seven years.

Last edited: