Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

Get a third party warranty. £300 pa. for my 140. YMMV.

Get a third party warranty. £300 pa. for my 140. YMMV.
Fred are you confident it would cover this situation where the problem appears to be a gradual one rather than something actually breaking?

I'm with warranty direct and they assure me that after a 90 day moratorium, failure caused by gradual wear is covered. Call them and ask.

Unfortunately there is a lot of supposition about this issue and not a lot of anything concrete.

As mentioned, I have a 180 DSG and don't cane the van even though it has been remapped. Our Saab has now done 96k and is still not using any oil between services. And I drive that too.

It would appear to me to be a fundamental failing of the CFCA engine. Block flex maybe, DPF maybe, rings possibly, either way it is something VW should be looking into.

Alan

Sorry @WelshGas I'm not buying that. It seems only you that is saying that the problem isn't really a big problem, it only affects some engines anyway, and only those where the owner has thrashed it, and regardless it can be fixed by an engine limiter patch to the ECU.

If you can't provide a legitimate citation for that (rather than supposition and theory from vwT4) I don't think it's helpful to disseminate what is potentially expensive misinformation. From my point of view you shouldn't say "a change in manufacturing" when you mean just a software patch.

If that (third-hand) theory is right, VW would have patched everyone's ECUs on the next service and prevented this.
@BerndRos says he's had his engine patched at service, never over-revs the engine (he has a DSG) and his engine has developed the issue at 50,000 miles.
@AlanC has a DSG, a remap and his engine is failing at 85,000 miles.
@kazza has a DSG and his engine is failing, we don't know his mileage or even his engine model.

(I'm only pointing out DSG because you say that it's more common on manual boxes as it's harder to over rev an engine with a DSG box, but we don't have any examples of that). Also I don't think these are isolated issues, but Cali drivers do less mileage so we'll generally hit the problem later rather than sooner for the average workaday van on vwt4 forum.

In addition we have two very plausible working theories:

@sidepod suggested engine block flex causing piston wear
@moysvdub1 suggests DPF regen dumping fuel back in to the oil sump and thinning the oil out.

Both seem plausible, neither seem to be able to be fixed simply by an ECU remap or would be limited to the CFCA (180).

Obviously it's a good idea not to cane the living sh1t out of your van. 5,000 mile oil and filter changes seem to be a good preventative measure until more is known. But these engines should be good for 250,000 miles for everyone.

Whether you are buying it or not is your decision. Do your own internet search and you will find very few instances mentioned. Remapping seems to be mentioned on a number of posts. I agree, software upgrades would have been on the next service which could have been after 20,000 miles if on the LongLife Service plan. Possibly after the initial damage had been done.
Engine block flexing possible. Pity this problem does not seem to be that common.
DPF regeneration, possible but then why is it not more common.
The original VW TPI mentions replacing lower engine block and also replacing a number of sensors as well as the software upgrade so I presume these changes were implemented post 2011. That is a manufacturing change. The problem is that the California, although based on a Commercial vehicle, is low mileage in comparison to the Commercial variant. Most Commercial variants would have probably covered 50,000 miles in 2 or 3 years and so sorted under warranty. I sympathise with BerndRos and hope there is a positive outcome.

Google search resultsimage.png

If its only a random distribution of motors that are affected then it could simply be down to a faulty batch of components (pistons/rings etc) supplied to VW from an outside source.

It is all speculation on our part. Without a clear concise description of the problem (and possible remedies) from a VW trained technician we're in the dark. Fact.

Google is a nightmare. Once word is out, your CFCA equipped Cali could be devaluing if the mileage is in the ballpark. Only a problem if you're selling, or not depending on how clued up the buyer is.

Personally I couldn't live with an oil burner. I'm lucky in a sense. I'd happily sort it myself but not everyone is in that position. Would I buy a vehicle that potentially had the issue? Not a chance.

Pod. (Hendricks/Fever Tree/Grapefruit bitters and ice/cucumber/juniper berries. :thumb)

I did initially wonder if instead of this impacting on engines that had been thrashed, it could instead be the opposite. I've always run new vehicles - particularly motorcycltyes - meticulously, understanding that running in too gently can result in glazed bores. I don't think these things are really pertinent to modern engines though!

The thin oil thing is interesting. I had a bike once years ago that would never run properly on really good oil!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Could be. Ref early R1's. They were ceramic coated were they not?

My betting is on those that are used daily for short trips.

Re Sidepod above.

Mine is quite the opposite as not used as a daily driver but only for long route touring. Very few short trips have been made in my Cali.

BTW..re my oil consumption... apparently it's a known VW issue. I am going to email my UK dealer ASAP and ask him to log the issue. Hope VW will make a big goodwill gesture towards costs as clearly to rectify they will be high.
9qbg3l.jpg

Re Sidepod above.

Mine is quite the opposite as not used as a daily driver but only for long route touring. Very few short trips have been made in my Cali.

I hope you can get some goodwill from VW as it is a known issue. So is my roof corrosion a known issue but VW didn't do anything and van was only 4 years old, so i would not hold your breath regarding goodwill.

John

Well let's see. Just got a call on Sunday afternoon from VWCS asking me to book Cali into the new VW garage at Plympton ...SNOWS for diagnosis of my engine issues. Plus to get my roof sorted out after MURRAYS who have now closed down failed to address the issue.

BTW...this engine issue must be common because when I first contacted VWCS on the telephone the person I spoke to knew of the issue without reference to any system etc.

Well let's see. Just got a call on Sunday afternoon from VWCS asking me to book Cali into the new VW garage at Plympton ...SNOWS for diagnosis of my engine issues. Plus to get my roof sorted out after MURRAYS who have now closed down failed to address the issue.

BTW...this engine issue must be common because when I first contacted VWCS on the telephone the person I spoke to knew of the issue without reference to any system etc.
You might find this post interesting.
image.png

Terrible customer service, poor chap.

I just love the shifting of crap from VW to the dealer.

I had this rubbish.

"If you want a deal offered for the fact that a VW branded product has been off the rood and spent more nights in the garage than you have in the van then it is not our problem but the dealers"

Total, absolute, emission-cheating arrogance from the most rubbish customer service based organisation in the world.

Fortunately for this most appallingly-arrogant customer insensitive organisation it produces the best camper in the world otherwise it would not be able to sell a bucket of ice in Saudi Arabia.

Latest update is that van has been into VW at VWCS direction and cost. Fresh oil weighed and put into van. I have now been told to drive 620 miles or to when oil light comes on, whichever is the sooner. Then take van back and they will weigh remaining oil and see if usage is within tolerances. Oil light will likely come on at about 300 miles.

I guess once this test is done we get into the Q of VW goodwill........

So if your low oil light comes on at 300 miles how much will actually be left at 600?? I wonder what happens if the engine blows up, I suppose vw will have to give you a new engine then?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Ivor Andrews, the chap who sign wrote his CFCA engined T5 got a response from VWUK at the end of last year.

In December they offered to contribute 70% of the cost of a new engine. He accepted this offer and the new engine was installed in his van in late December.

He has now removed the sign writing.

Sounds like everyone who has this issue should follow this up.

Alan

Good News....

I am doing my oil usage test this weekend and then talk starts with VW re terms....

Any idea what his 30% contribution cost him ?

I would guess it cost him at least £1500

Good News....

I am doing my oil usage test this weekend and then talk starts with VW re terms....

Any idea what his 30% contribution cost him ?

Sorry, no.

Alan

Having read the above disturbing comments on oil consumption, how many vehicles in the UK have this issue? Is it a common problem over 50,000 miles or are we only talking a few.

Can anyone advise on this.

Having just checked my oil, mine is fine & within tolerance on the dipstick and I've not topped up since a service last March, with 43K on the vehicle & 8K miles year to date since last service.

Paul

Back