Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

Hi Paul,

No one knows at the moment exactly how many CFCA engines are affected, except of course VWCS, who will be keeping very quiet about the numbers.

I did not have a problem until the oil warning light came on half way to Spain last October. From then on I checked the oil much more regularly and discovered my oil consumption figures were very poor, and remain so.

I am about to go to see my local dealer so will keep you posted.

Alan

It would seem likely that VW knows the cause and the batches/engine numbers that are affected, whether the problem has manifested itself yet or not. I think they should do the right thing and put out this information and pitch some kind of blanket deal for cost sharing (assuming they won't go as far as outright replacement), perhaps varying by age/mileage. This would remove the guesswork and sense that VW is refusing to inform people of affected vehicles. It all seems a bit to secretive for me and we are not talking interior trim coming loose, its the frickin engine going kapput!

VW should note that tackling these issues in advance prevents people experiencing major failures and losing faith in the reliability of their products. It seems like a no brainer to me....

I am now entering the negotiation stage with VW. The cost of a new engine and DPF in my case is £8000.

Hopefully I will get the same or better contribution than the 'sign written' van above.

It would seem likely that VW knows the cause and the batches/engine numbers that are affected, whether the problem has manifested itself yet or not. I think they should do the right thing and put out this information and pitch some kind of blanket deal for cost sharing (assuming they won't go as far as outright replacement), perhaps varying by age/mileage. This would remove the guesswork and sense that VW is refusing to inform people of affected vehicles. It all seems a bit to secretive for me and we are not talking interior trim coming loose, its the frickin engine going kapput!

VW should note that tackling these issues in advance prevents people experiencing major failures and losing faith in the reliability of their products. It seems like a no brainer to me....

That would seem the correct and reasonable course of action but VW and all other large manufacturers will never, never, never admit any sort of liability unless required to by law.
They would rather keep it all secret and pick up the smallest tab they can get away with and hope their customers pay the remainder.

That would seem the correct and reasonable course of action but VW and all other large manufacturers will never, never, never admit any sort of liability unless required to by law.
They would rather keep it all secret and pick up the smallest tab they can get away with and hope their customers pay the remainder.
Hopefully the existence of boards such as this one and the general availability of information on the Internet has started to level the playing field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we need to be careful to differentiate between VWUK and VW Germany.

I believe that this engine issue, as was the roof one before it, has been accepted in Germany and is being dealt with promptly. VWUK, on the other hand, always seem to be behind the curve and very resistant to accepting any culpability, as they were with the roof.

As they don't make VW vehicles but just distribute them in the UK, you can understand their reticence.

On a brighter note, I went to Breeze in Poole this morning and had a very productive conversation with Paul the Service Manager for Commercial vehicles. He knew of the issue, and asked what my mileage and consumption figures were. Once he had seen these he immediately agreed that my van needed to be dealt with. I left with an appointment to have the oil topped up and my van's data entered on to the relevant VW database. These two things have to coincide apparently, and the workshop is fully booked until next week.

Once I have done 600 mile appx, then I can take it back in and get the oil drained and weighed! On the basis of that, and an agreement to go ahead from VWUK, then a replacement base engine will be supplied and fitted.

According to Paul the problem lies in the bore linings. These wear badly on these specific engines (CFCA 2010/2011), so a compression test would show up the problem. No mention of cost at this stage, but from what Bernard has just said and Ivan Andrews implied on FB before him, likely to be in the region of £8k.

I have not spoken to VWCS directly. Paul said they would refer me back to my dealer in any case, so going via him initially was the right route to take.

I am a happier bunny today. Lets hope this continues to a satisfactory conclusion.

Alan

I think we need to be careful to differentiate between VWUK and VW Germany.

I believe that this engine issue, as was the roof one before it, has been accepted in Germany and is being dealt with promptly. VWUK, on the other hand, always seem to be behind the curve and very resistant to accepting any culpability, as they were with the roof.

As they don't make VW vehicles but just distribute them in the UK, you can understand their reticence.

On a brighter note, I went to Breeze in Poole this morning and had a very productive conversation with Paul the Service Manager for Commercial vehicles. He knew of the issue, and asked what my mileage and consumption figures were. Once he had seen these he immediately agreed that my van needed to be dealt with. I left with an appointment to have the oil topped up and my van's data entered on to the relevant VW database. These two things have to coincide apparently, and the workshop is fully booked until next week.

Once I have done 600 mile appx, then I can take it back in and get the oil drained and weighed! On the basis of that, and an agreement to go ahead from VWUK, then a replacement base engine will be supplied and fitted.

According to Paul the problem lies in the bore linings. These wear badly on these specific engines (CFCA 2010/2011), so a compression test would show up the problem. No mention of cost at this stage, but from what Bernard has just said and Ivan Andrews implied on FB before him, likely to be in the region of £8k.

I have not spoken to VWCS directly. Paul said they would refer me back to my dealer in any case, so going via him initially was the right route to take.

I am a happier bunny today. Lets hope this continues to a satisfactory conclusion.

Alan
That is excellent Alan. Great service :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlanC.....The VW garage should have said drive 620 miles (about 1000km) OR until the oil warning light comes on, whichever is the first event to happen.....then take it back to them so can work out the consumption. Indeed if you get to 620 miles without the oil light coming on then the consumption will be at or less than 1 litre a 100km...and within their tolerances...!!!

My oil light comes on at just over 300 miles distance covered.

Oops....last post should have 1000km rather then 100km.....!

To be fair to the Service Manager, he did say 1000km or around 600 miles.

Why does the oil need to be weighed to work out the consumption? I don't understand that. Surely you can measure the consumption in litres per kilometer?

Alan

To be fair to the Service Manager, he did say 1000km or around 600 miles.

Why does the oil need to be weighed to work out the consumption? I don't understand that. Surely you can measure the consumption in litres per kilometer?

Alan
Just easier and more accurate to weigh the oil than determine its volume. Weigh empty container-drain oil into container-weigh full container. Subtract empty from full weight / Specific Gravity of oil gives volume of oil accurate to 1 ml. Then you can work out the consumption.
Much more difficult trying to measure oil volume directly.

The fix I need is in accordance with the 2011 VW TPI 2039830-5

New...Engine...Cat...DPF...Lambda Probe...Software.

That sounds very expensive Bernard, have they agreed the cost with you yet?

Been in to have the sump drained, 7 litres of 5W30 oil weighed and the engine refilled with said weighed oil today. The van has also been registered on the VWUK OCR, (Oil Consumption Register, my name for it).

Shame is that I could have done the 1000km easily during last week, but am not traveling very far now.
I reckon my consumption has now dropped to around 350 miles per 1.5 litres so will have to see what the result of the weighed consumption is and VWCS's response.

Will keep you posted.

Alan

AlanC...you will likely only cover about 300 miles then before the oil warning light comes on..?

Then after they verify the consumption you will enter the negotiation stage, which is where I am at the moment.

Yes, I asked Breeze about what happens if the oil light comes on before the 1000km,

They said bring it back in as soon as I can, but don't top it up. I might keep local in that case. Don't fancy being halfway up the M3 upgrade works with the oil light shining brightly!

Alan

Exactly...

You will need to be polite but firm with VWCS...

Hope you get a satisfactory outcome re costs....

My friend has been offered a 2010 180bhp Cali around 50k miles from a work colleague

Obviously hard for me to recommend it to him without being concerned about this.

Just checked the old MOT's and it states in advisories from 2014

"Engine management light on"

Guessing there's no way to check for this issue without driving the Cali for 500 miles and checking the oil.

Would anything show up on a VCDS scan?

The point is that even if it's not got the issue this week, it could by next week, that's the stark reality.

Wonder if VW know batch numbers etc of engines that are affected by this..?

The point is that even if it's not got the issue this week, it could by next week, that's the stark reality.

Agreed. Hope you get this resolved, VW should cover all costs and labour in my opinion, disgraceful behaviour if not.

I am sure they must do, as apparently the problem was resolved by 2011 when an upgraded CFCA 180BHP engine was installed.

Alan

I am sure they must do, as apparently the problem was resolved by 2011 when an upgraded CFCA 180BHP engine was installed.

Alan

But surely not every 2010 180bhp engine is effected? Wouldn't this mean 10'000's of complaints?

No, not every CFCA 180BHP engine is affected, yet!

I gather it is limited to CFCA engines manufactured and installed in T5s between 2010 and some point in 2011.

I am guessing that this engine was not the most popular option for the fleet user, VW Commercial's main customers, so the number of CFCA engines may be fewer than we may think. But certainly hundreds across the the whole production during that year.

Alan

No, not every CFCA 180BHP engine is affected, yet!

Thanks.

Can someone let me know, does this have anything to do with the engine management light?

The 2010 180bhp Cali my friend is looking at had the engine management light on back in an old MOT advisory.

Could be anything may even be the egr valve they are suspect on 2010 models

Could be anything may even be the egr valve they are suspect on 2010 models

Thanks Kev.

Seems like I can't really recommend this Cali to my friend! Shame as it was a nice one and at a good price (though maybe that should be a concern)

Back